PDA

View Full Version : Sony - DSC W320 Digital Camera

ade234uk
December 15th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Bought myself a new Digital Camera.

Connected the camera via USB and Ubuntu detected it straight away. Asked if I would like to access the photos through Fspot. Also mounted the camera to Desktop so I could get at the photos the old fashioned way and sometimes the quickest. Drag and Drop.

Now its XP's turn to detect the camera. XP is old so I expect it not to have drivers, so I install the software like it requested. I Then restart as requested because its installed a load of rubbish, but all I want is the driver.

On reboot I was hoping to see the camera, no luck. Went through the usual procedure of plugging the USB cable in and out, still no luck. In the end I gave up.

That's why I love Ubuntu it just works.

mendhak
December 15th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Had a similar thing with a wireless mouse I bought (Logitech M215). Plugged in a Windows 7 machine. It did have the drivers but took a minute to install them before I could use the mouse. That's not so bad.

Then I plugged it in to an Ubuntu machine. There was no delay. It started working immediately. That is fantastic.

tobiz
December 15th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Bought myself a new Digital Camera.

Connected the camera via USB and Ubuntu detected it straight away. Asked if I would like to access the photos through Fspot. Also mounted the camera to Desktop so I could get at the photos the old fashioned way and sometimes the quickest. Drag and Drop.

Now its XP's turn to detect the camera. XP is old so I expect it not to have drivers, so I install the software like it requested. I Then restart as requested because its installed a load of rubbish, but all I want is the driver.

On reboot I was hoping to see the camera, no luck. Went through the usual procedure of plugging the USB cable in and out, still no luck. In the end I gave up.

That's why I love Ubuntu it just works.

I just did the same ie bought a Sony W320 camera. The guy in the shop didn't think it would USB connect to Linux but I tried it anyway under Ubuntu 10.04 and as you say it just worked. I've not tried the Sony S/W CD under Windows, I run a Windows Free environment here but see that to register the camera with Sony you have to run a Windows prog from the CD. I wonder if it might run under Wine, have you tried this?

ade234uk
December 15th, 2010, 01:13 PM
I just did the same ie bought a Sony W320 camera. The guy in the shop didn't think it would USB connect to Linux but I tried it anyway under Ubuntu 10.04 and as you say it just worked. I've not tried the Sony S/W CD under Windows, I run a Windows Free environment here but see that to register the camera with Sony you have to run a Windows prog from the CD. I wonder if it might run under Wine, have you tried this?

I tried under Wine and it did not work. It says device not connected, so I thought this was a Wine issue.

I also tried to register it through Windows as well and did the same thing.

Its a bit of a stupid way to register a product if you ask me. Apart from that the camera is excellent.

tobiz
December 15th, 2010, 01:45 PM
I tried under Wine and it did not work. It says device not connected, so I thought this was a Wine issue.

I also tried to register it through Windows as well and did the same thing.

Its a bit of a stupid way to register a product if you ask me. Apart from that the camera is excellent.

Thanks for that: no need to try the wine route then. I thought on-line registration using a supplied app sounded 'restrictive' unless it was a Java etc app, but not working under Windows sounds pretty stupid as you say. Good to hear the camera is ok though, not used mine too much yet.