PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] problem with ubuntu installation

ubunt12
December 15th, 2010, 05:21 AM
hi, i recently bought an acer aspire 5742z and ive tried to install ubuntu over windows 7 64 bit on my drive to make ubuntu 32bit my os like i did with my desktop with no problems. The installation completes without any problems and then reboots but then when it reboots, instead of loading the ubuntu desktop it tells you to login to a terminal then its just a big terminal to execute commands.

Please can someone help me,
Thanks.

amsterdamharu
December 15th, 2010, 05:39 AM
Since you don't have a gui I guess you need a pen and paper, after you log in to the terminal can you type the following commands?

sudo service gdm stop
startxWrite down any output you get there and have a look in the Xorg.0.log (or any other Xorg logs) remember when typing a command you can press tab twice to see what logs are there.
Note that the X in Xorg... is a capital X
So when you type nano /var/log/Xor(press tab twice) you'll see a list of available logs.

nano /var/log/Xorg.0.logCheck out any line beginning with (EE) or (WW)

I'm not sure if xforcevesa still helps but you can give that a try:
When booting press shift to see the boot menu -> select Ubuntu and check around for an option to edit this entry -> add xforcevesa in the end and give it a go.
This might give you a low graphics desktop but you still need to install the Intel drivers for the card in your laptop.

Since you're running the latest kernel you might just need a driver version that is not in the Ubuntu repository to make it work. Add a repository that has more current (and unstable) drivers:
https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers (https://launchpad.net/%7Exorg-edgers)

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa

ubunt12
December 15th, 2010, 05:45 AM
thanks ill try it now

ubunt12
December 15th, 2010, 05:51 AM
first command:
unknown instance
and second command startx left a blank screen, i had to press power button to turn it off

ubunt12
December 15th, 2010, 05:54 AM
i dont understand, when i boot from usb it works fine until i install it and reboot from HDD

amsterdamharu
December 15th, 2010, 05:57 AM
Ok try the command on tty1:
press control + alt + F1

sudo service gdm stop
startxIf you have a blanc screen press control + alt + F1 again.

when i boot from usb it works fine
Probably because the install tries a better video mode and fails.

ubunt12
December 15th, 2010, 06:02 AM
nope still doing the same thing, the screen goes blank

amsterdamharu
December 15th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Ok, you can try to log in and have a look in the Xorg.0.log (or any other Xorg logs) remember when typing a command you can press tab twice to see what logs are there.
So when you type nano /var/log/Xor(press tab twice) you'll see a list of available logs.
Note that the X in Xorg... is a capital X

nano /var/log/Xorg.0.logCheck out any line beginning with (EE) or (WW)

I'm not sure if xforcevesa still helps but you can give that a try:
When booting press shift to see the boot menu -> select Ubuntu and check around for an option to edit this entry -> add xforcevesa in the end and give it a go.
This might give you a low graphics desktop but you still need to install the Intel drivers for the card in your laptop.
For example (on mint) I see the line

linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-27-generic root=UUID=c728500b-6aed-4aa2-972f-eb6d8723c2a1 ro quiet splash
and add xforcevesa

linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-27-generic root=UUID=c728500b-6aed-4aa2-972f-eb6d8723c2a1 ro quiet splash xforcevesa

Since you're running the latest kernel you might just need a driver version that is not in the Ubuntu repository to make it work. Add a repository that has more current (and unstable) drivers:
https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers (https://launchpad.net/%7Exorg-edgers)

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

You need an internet connection and it might take a while to update your system. Reboot and see what happens

ubunt12
December 15th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the help but ive solved it, i held shift before ubuntu bootup then ran restore mode or whatever its called then theres a few options one of which is to fix broken dpkgs.