PDA

View Full Version : [wubi] how to edit the os selector countdown

Ubuntered
December 15th, 2010, 12:40 AM
I installed Ubuntu 10.4 using wubi from XP. For some reason wubi didnt increase the countdown time on the windows os selector. My P.C. came with a recovery partition, so the os selector has always poped up on startup, but the timer was set to 5sec.(probably to avoid annoyance). Is there a way to edit this so I can have more time to select my option? This is the windows os selector and Ubuntu is on a separate(second) hard drive.Thank you.

Ubuntu version: 10.04 LTS- the Lucid Lynx
Windows version: Xp servicepack 2

Machine: Hp Pavilion a1677c

spcwingo
December 15th, 2010, 02:09 AM
There should be file named boot.ini on the root of your XP partition. In that text file you should be able to edit the timeout.

bcbc
December 15th, 2010, 04:27 AM
Right click My computer, Properties, Advanced tab, Startup and Recovery, change timeout there. You can also edit boot.ini but you have to take off the read only flag first and if you mess it up... it won't boot.

Ubuntered
January 20th, 2011, 01:49 AM
Thanks for the help, its very appreciated. I got sidetracked and forgot about joining this forum, but I'm back and glad I remembered :). I have not tried either of these fixes yet, but I will soon, and will be back to post the results. Sorry for not checking back sooner, thanks.

Ubuntered
January 29th, 2011, 12:46 AM
Right click My computer, Properties, Advanced tab, Startup and Recovery, change timeout there. You can also edit boot.ini but you have to take off the read only flag first and if you mess it up... it won't boot.

Worked perfectly, thanks again.:P