PDA

View Full Version : It's official: my laptop has a mind of its own

Quadunit404
December 14th, 2010, 11:27 PM
The new A/C adapter died (sorta) already. Now it's not delivering enough power. Only three hours of battery life left on this laptop, too. Great.

Next laptop, I'm buying a spare A/C adapter so that I will always have a spare with me in case one dies ](*,)

Thanks, laptop.

akand074
December 15th, 2010, 12:05 AM
First off, how does that mean your laptop has a mind of it's own? I don't get it. Second of all, why not just get a new A/C Adapter? I mean, why are you saying for your "next laptop" that you'll get one.

lisati
December 15th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Only three hours of battery life is a problem? Surely it would be more of a worry if the battery only charged sufficiently to let the laptop to power up then turn off.

Old_Grey_Wolf
December 15th, 2010, 12:29 AM
The new A/C adapter died (sorta) already. Now it's not delivering enough power. Only three hours of battery life left on this laptop, too. Great.

Next laptop, I'm buying a spare A/C adapter so that I will always have a spare with me in case one dies ](*,)

Thanks, laptop.

Are you saying the A/C adapter is not delivering enough power to charge the battery? Are you saying the battery only has 3 hours of charge left and no way to recharge it?

Quadunit404
December 15th, 2010, 01:02 AM
Are you saying the A/C adapter is not delivering enough power to charge the battery? Are you saying the battery only has 3 hours of charge left and no way to recharge it?

Both of those, the A/C adapter suddenly stopped delivering enough power to give the battery more than, like, 10 minutes of battery life during school today and as of now there's only thee hours of life left (out of the five or so the battery can handle) and no way to charge it up again. This is why I am now buying at least two A/C adapters next time, so that when one dies I won't have to deal with a powerless laptop for the next amount of time before it comes time to get a new one.

And, I'm saying my laptop has a mind of its own because it keeps breaking itself or its accessories without me doing anything to induce that. Windows erasing itself? Laptop. X breaking? Laptop. Either that, or it just hates working and wants to remain dead.

Oh, and this really, really sucks, because I have a school assignment due on Friday but since we're going out to see a play on that day, it has to be in by Thursday. Lovely situation I'm in, isn't it?

PS: I'm hoping that I'll be able to get a new laptop sometime around after Christmas or near my next birthday, as this thing is slowly destroying itself. I've been eying this ASUS laptop, but I forgot the model number; all I remember is that it has a Core i3, NVIDIA GTX 310M and Intel GMA... something.

akand074
December 15th, 2010, 01:18 AM
Buying a new laptop is always nice, but again, why don't you just buy an A/C adapter for this one? Do you not have any other computers in your house or at school that you can use to do your assignment?

How long have you had your laptop? Laptop's don't just "break themselves", it might just be a defect with that particular laptop or A/C Adapter. If similar things happened with other laptops you've used in the past? Does the cable have any physical damage?

Either way, new system seems like a nice choice.

Quadunit404
December 15th, 2010, 02:14 AM
Last time I tried working on an assignment I started on my laptop on a school computer, things got screwed up. Bad.

And yeah, we're going to return the current A/C adapter to the seller for a new one to hold out until we can get me a new laptop. We're aiming for $600 or less (a bit above is fine I guess) and so far we've had somewhat good luck finding laptops suitable for my needs in that price range.

Old_Grey_Wolf
December 15th, 2010, 05:02 AM
Both of those...

I feel sorry for you. I would be angry with the manufacturer; however, that doesn't help you with your problem. I hope you can still get your assignment completed. It sucks when your computer doesn't work. You may have to use a friend's computer or a University/College computer to get the assignment completed on time.

Dustin2128
December 15th, 2010, 05:17 AM
Stop personifying computers, they hate that.

Khakilang
December 15th, 2010, 05:31 AM
When I look at the title I thought it was one of those Decepticon robot going around killing people. As it turn it just your A/C adapter. If its still under warranty you can get it replace and if its over you can buy a new one.

Habitual
December 15th, 2010, 05:33 AM
stop personifying computers, they hate that.

lol!

mips
December 15th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Generic AC adapters are easy to come buy and cheap. Just match the output voltage and make sure the current is the same or higher. You probably already have one lying around somewhere in your use if you are lucky.

Reinstalling the OS usually solves a lot of problems people are experiencing. I think you are just looking for an excuse to get a new laptop ;)

Quadunit404
December 15th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Generic AC adapters are easy to come buy and cheap. Just match the output voltage and make sure the current is the same or higher. You probably already have one lying around somewhere in your use if you are lucky.

Reinstalling the OS usually solves a lot of problems people are experiencing. I think you are just looking for an excuse to get a new laptop ;)

1. We only have one A/C adapter... because we never thought about buying two until I needed to get a new one because the laptop basically killed it.
2. Yes, I did reinstall the OS a week ago. That was because it broke Ubuntu.
3. If you used my laptop you'd realize how bad it is. It's terribly slow, overheats and performs poorly in a lot of aspects (probably too many for me to name.) My homeroom teacher told me it might be the motherboard being defective (it doesn't show that it's defective until a few months after the warranty expires, which happened back in June) but... I have this odd feeling it's gonna cost over $1000 to get the motherboard replaced.

Btw, my dad wants to take over my laptop after I get a new one. I have a feeling he's gonna experience the problems that I faced with it...

AllRadioisDead
December 15th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Stop personifying computers, they hate that.
:popcorn:

mips
December 16th, 2010, 09:54 AM
1. We only have one A/C adapter... because we never thought about buying two until I needed to get a new one because the laptop basically killed it.
2. Yes, I did reinstall the OS a week ago. That was because it broke Ubuntu.
3. If you used my laptop you'd realize how bad it is. It's terribly slow, overheats and performs poorly in a lot of aspects (probably too many for me to name.) My homeroom teacher told me it might be the motherboard being defective (it doesn't show that it's defective until a few months after the warranty expires, which happened back in June) but... I have this odd feeling it's gonna cost over $1000 to get the motherboard replaced.

1. I was referring to any old ac adapter with similar voltage/current configuration as used by many appliances. Sometimes you have to cut the cord and join the old laptop connector. Alternatively many shops stock generic ones for this very purpose.

2. I fail to see how the hardware is going to break the OS.

3. It either works or it does not. Things like BSOD, Kernel Panics or eratic reboots could indicate faulty hardware which can be diagnosed with something like MicroScope Diagnostic Suite. If it's overheating the fans & vents need cleaning out or the thermal paste needs to be replaced. Anything else is usually software or user related.

asifnaz
December 16th, 2010, 09:59 AM
stop personifying computers, they hate that.

lol :d