PDA

View Full Version : I suppose Ubuntu doesn't want me to use it...

discouraged_user
December 14th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Wanting to know what the hype was all about, I tried to install Ubuntu Netbook on my Asus Eee. I guess I will never know....

I followed the instructions on the Ubuntu website and created an USB boot stick. All I get when I try to use it is a black screen.

I tried to use Wubi. Got an error message saying that a permission was denied. Even in admin mode.

Installing this thing seems to be really complicated.

If someone has a simple suggestion, go on.

If not, I'm sure I want anymore to install something that seems so full of bugs on my computer. Afterall, Windows 7 is simple and I haven't encountered any bugs since I've been using it.

bhishan
December 14th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Make sure to put usb key as the first boot option from the BIOS. Some BIOS versions may specify usb keys as hard drive.

sikander3786
December 14th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Welcome to the forums :-)

Yes I've got a very simple suggestion here. As soon as the computer starts booting from the USB drive, press any key to gain access to boot options page. Then press F6, enable 'nomodeset' and continue boot. It might solve your blank screen issue.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDBootOptions#Main%20Page%20Options

cipherboy_loc
December 14th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Also, check the MD5 sum of the downloaded .ISO. What version of Ubuntu did you download?

Cipherboy

Rubi1200
December 14th, 2010, 09:57 PM
+1 to the suggestions by sikander3786 and cipherboy_loc :)

Welcome to the forums and don't give up, we are here to try and help.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

discouraged_user
December 14th, 2010, 11:21 PM
OK now I don't get stuck anymore with the black screen.

I'm stuck a screen called "Preparing to install Ubuntu". I clicked on Forward and it freezed.

Getting a serious headache now :?

discouraged_user
December 14th, 2010, 11:26 PM
Since it froze, I restarted the PC. Now, when I want to boot from the USB key, I get that stupid black screen again.....................

sikander3786
December 14th, 2010, 11:26 PM
So how did you get rid of that black screen?

Did you check the MD5SUM of downloaded image and also, your disc for defects?

"Preparing to install Ubuntu" is step 2 I guess just after selecting Keyboard layout? It has been a long time since I used the installer last time so don't remember that. Or it is the page where it requires your personal details?

discouraged_user
December 14th, 2010, 11:47 PM
I don't know what an MDSum is and how I'm supposed to check that.

I got rid of the black screen with the nomodeset.

But now it's back :(

And yes, I was stuck at the second step of the installation.

If I try to run Ubuntu live without installing it, it brings me to a black screen, asking for a command line :S

The disc should be fine... Windows is working normally.

I never had so much trouble installing an operating system before.....

Quackers
December 15th, 2010, 01:32 AM
Md5SUM details
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM
Check disc for errors by tapping F6 key during boot to get options.
Everything you need has already been posted on the forum. Try the search feature :-)

discouraged_user
December 15th, 2010, 03:17 AM
Oh well, I give up. This is really too complex.

admaw11
December 15th, 2010, 04:21 AM
I'm also a linux noob, but I can see that problem-solving is just part of the learning curve. It just takes a bit of reading / searching the forums / perseverance, and each step of the way you learn new techniques, skills and gain more understanding. If you just give up when you encounter a few problems you'll probably never learn anything.