PDA

View Full Version : [wubi] Wubi broken by UNR install

Eno88
December 14th, 2010, 06:05 PM
2 problems in a day, go me!

Long story short, wanted to install UNR 10.04 proper, dropping WUBI. I figured I'd move my home folder and installed apps from wubi to the regular partition from inside the wubi install, after installing UNR and it's bootloader on a partition.

The Wubi install no longer works, trying to boot it hangs at mounting a no longer existant logical partition. That partition used to be ntfs storage, now becoming the proper UNR partition.
Wubi's Grub actually says it's not a NTFS partition anymore and hangs there.

Questions:
Would reinstalling Wubi from Windows (keeping the \disks\ folder) solve anything?
Is there anything I can do from Wubi Grub's command line?

Updating with the full error message a bit later.

Edit: Will try this first: http://art.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1037874
That worked but still leaves me without the apps I had installed, any solutions for that please?

bcbc
December 14th, 2010, 06:42 PM
2 problems in a day, go me!

Long story short, wanted to install UNR 10.04 proper, dropping WUBI. I figured I'd move my home folder and installed apps from wubi to the regular partition from inside the wubi install, after installing UNR and it's bootloader on a partition.

The Wubi install no longer works, trying to boot it hangs at mounting a no longer existant logical partition. That partition used to be ntfs storage, now becoming the proper UNR partition.
Wubi's Grub actually says it's not a NTFS partition anymore and hangs there.

Questions:
Would reinstalling Wubi from Windows (keeping the \disks\ folder) solve anything?
Is there anything I can do from Wubi Grub's command line?

Updating with the full error message a bit later.

Edit: Will try this first: http://art.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1037874

It sounds like you had Wubi on partition X, and overwrote this partition when you installed UNR. So it's probably gone. But run the bootinfoscript (http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/) and post the results. That will indicate whether the root.disk is somewhere - maybe just the partition number changed when you installed UNR and that's a simple fix.

Eno88
December 14th, 2010, 07:05 PM
I had wubi on Win7's partition (bad, I know), I gave UNR it's own partition so I still have Windows and wubi files.

Now, I've managed to get my /home/user files out of wubi's virtual disk but I keep getting denied copying all other folders from it's / to UNR's /
Any way to get my apps list out of the virtual disk?
Also, if I could recover the theme I had on would be nice :popcorn:

bcbc
December 14th, 2010, 07:47 PM
I had wubi on Win7's partition (bad, I know), I gave UNR it's own partition so I still have Windows and wubi files.

Now, I've managed to get my /home/user files out of wubi's virtual disk but I keep getting denied copying all other folders from it's / to UNR's /
Any way to get my apps list out of the virtual disk?
Also, if I could recover the theme I had on would be nice :popcorn:

I wouldn't just copy from / to /. There are a lot of things that will not work. If you wanted to, you could have migrated the wubi install instead.
PS if the problem is that you're mounting the old ntfs partition that's now the Netbook edition install... just loop mount the root.disk and edit /etc/fstab and take out the line mounting that partition.

Eno88
December 14th, 2010, 08:57 PM
That did it!
Thanks a lot, now I've got both installs running.

Could you recommend a good tutorial to migrate apps,settings, themes and such? LVPM site says 10.04 isn't supported.

bcbc
December 14th, 2010, 09:00 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1519354

Eno88
December 15th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Must've screwed that up somewhere.. rsync went well, but I think it went the wrong way around. None of the apps were moved to the new Ubuntu install and now both grub and wubigrub point to the new ubuntu partition.

Will fix grub to point to the virtual disk and go at it again :/

Edit:
Could I do this with cp instead of rsync?

bcbc
December 15th, 2010, 01:54 PM
That link is to migrate a wubi install, not merge apps and settings from one install to another.