PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard and Background programming in C

c2tarun
December 14th, 2010, 03:31 PM
hi friends
I want to create an application that can
1. run in background
2. monitor all the keyboard activities.

and these two requirements are the two difficulties as well. I don't know how to run a program continuously in background, and how to monitor keyboard activities without hindering other processes. Can anyone guide me to some concepts that can help me.

dwhitney67
December 14th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Would it not have been easier to state that you want to develop a key-logger application so that you can snoop on other user's as they type at the keyboard?

c2tarun
December 14th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Would it not have been easier to state that you want to develop a key-logger application so that you can snoop on other user's as they type at the keyboard?

I was actually trying to build that only, but not to snoop on other users, but to use it on my system only. Is there anything wrong?

PaulM1985
December 14th, 2010, 03:58 PM
I was actually trying to build that only, but not to snoop on other users, but to use it on my system only. Is there anything wrong?

Are you not sure what keys you are pressing?

dwhitney67
December 14th, 2010, 04:00 PM

Providing assistance to someone to develop a key-logger is a sensitive subject. You might get some help if you Google for a sample application.

As for running an application in the background, Google for how to develop a daemon process. Keyboard inputs surely are available via the character device driver that is loaded by the kernel.

c2tarun
December 14th, 2010, 04:05 PM
guys if you are thinking that I am going to misuse this application then i can assure u I have no such intentions, knowing how to break a lock doesn't makes us a burglar.
I used one application of this type long time back when i was using windows. Since I m using ubuntu I looked into many things in C programming. I just wanted to make this application as a good exercise. If anyone can, then please help me.
You guys are pretty experienced user of ubuntu and I really respect you, if I am violating any policies of this forum by asking this question then i m extremely sorry, tell me once and I'll remove this thread.
Thank you

worksofcraft
December 14th, 2010, 06:14 PM
xnee (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xnee) is a Linux macro recorder that not only logs keys but also mouse activity.
It contains modules that you can include in your applications and I suspect these would provide all the functionality that you want. It is open source so if you study how it works then you will learn how it is done too :)

c2tarun
December 14th, 2010, 06:23 PM
xnee (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xnee) is a Linux macro recorder that not only logs keys but also mouse activity.
It contains modules that you can include in your applications and I suspect these would provide all the functionality that you want. It is open source so if you study how it works then you will learn how it is done too :)

Thanks, at least you trusted me :)

_joachim_
December 14th, 2010, 07:47 PM
The "hi friends" bit put me right off..

kwyto
December 15th, 2010, 06:37 AM
You should use assembly, it actually quite fun and easy. "for this application at least". And you can integrate it to C. _asm{ //assembly code }