PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do i remove or hide the taskbar? No right click!

Jerry786
December 14th, 2010, 02:47 PM
HI all, i cannot right click on the taskbar and as a result i cant hide or add any app to it.
I can right click in browser but i cant in free space on desktop, status bar and taskbar :(

Funnily enough i can right click on each app and it does come up with a menu but i cant click on an empty space!

Any ideas?
Thanks

sikander3786
December 14th, 2010, 10:04 PM
I suspect you are running the Netbook Edition. If yes, it ships with Unity and it is under heavy development and not mature and feature-rich yet. We'll have to wait for that to gain all those features by the next 2-3 Ubuntu releases (I hope).

A simple workaround will be to switch to the standard Gnome environment. Log out, click your user name, sessions option will appear at the bottom of screen, select ubuntu-desktop and login. You can customize that according to your needs.

Jerry786
December 16th, 2010, 12:05 AM
Thank you so much brother SIkander :) FInally i can view full screen!

I dont understand why theres a desktop edition option within the netbook edition ubuntu though...

sikander3786
December 16th, 2010, 07:52 AM
You are Welcome :-)

I dont understand why theres a desktop edition option within the netbook edition ubuntu though...

Basically, Unity is built on and runs on top of standard Gnome DE. So it is always there.

Another reason might be because Unity is 3d and requires you to install the proprietary graphics drivers (for ATI and NVIDIA) in order to function properly. Hence, with a fresh install of Ubuntu Netbook, you by default boot into Gnome in order to install the drivers and then you can switch between the two.

There might be other reasons which I am missing here.

Anyhow, if you feel your issue is solved, you can mark the thread Solved using Thread Tools near the top of this page.

Happy Ubuntu-ing!