PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] su password?

siva_chowdhary
December 14th, 2010, 02:08 PM
guys how can i change my su password i dont know what i did n im not able access as super user soo plz help me guys how can i change my su password i dont know the previous passowrd waiting for your reply thanks in advance

ajgreeny
December 14th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Ubuntu does not use the same manner of gaining root access as most linux distros, so have a look at Ubuntu: RootSudo (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo) which will tell you all about it.

surfer
December 14th, 2010, 02:46 PM
if you are in the admin group, you can use su to gain root access. the password is your user password then.

ajgreeny
December 14th, 2010, 03:51 PM
if you are in the admin group, you can use su to gain root access. the password is your user password then.
No ,you can't! Not quite.

Try su in terminal and you'll see what I mean.

You can use sudo su, if you really must, but there is often little need for that as sudo <command> will do the same thing.

sudo su could be useful if carrying out a complex sequence of commands that take a long time, and where the default timeout of the sudo root permissions might occur, but if you're doing that kind of complex terminal work, you would probably know enough to get a proper root account enabled. For most users sudo command is sufficient.

See Root-Sudo in my signature.

kukker32
December 14th, 2010, 04:06 PM
I don't know how to recover a lost password if it's that thats the problem..

but try set a new.. doing the following

Click Applicatons -> Accessories. Click Terminal.
A new window appears with a prompt. Key in “sudo passwd“.
System will prompt you to enter the new root password twice. Now, you are done with your new root password.

should be helping, let me know if it dosn't

Rubi1200
December 14th, 2010, 04:16 PM
You can also reset the password using this tutorial:
http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword

surfer
December 14th, 2010, 04:41 PM
No ,you can't! Not quite.

Try su in terminal and you'll see what I mean.

You can use sudo su, if you really must, but there is often little need for that as sudo <command> will do the same thing.

sudo su could be useful if carrying out a complex sequence of commands that take a long time, and where the default timeout of the sudo root permissions might occur, but if you're doing that kind of complex terminal work, you would probably know enough to get a proper root account enabled. For most users sudo command is sufficient.

See Root-Sudo in my signature.

ups, i meant sudo, of course... thanks for correcting me.

sohail_linux
December 14th, 2010, 07:05 PM
jus type in terminal

sudo su

then enter ur account password. Now you are in root account. You can change root password by

passwd

tkzv
December 14th, 2010, 07:44 PM

By the way, what is the difference between sudo su and sudo sh in Ubuntu?

surfer
December 14th, 2010, 10:15 PM
By the way, what is the difference between sudo su and sudo sh in Ubuntu?

i do not know that... i prefer:

$ sudo -i
or

$ sudo -s