PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] how to go back to original packages after upgrade/install

Dutch70
December 14th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Hi, I just did a fresh install from 8.04 to 10.04 with separate "/" and /home partitions.

I really wanted a new 10.04 system to start from scratch and rebuild it again & differently. Instead I got a really messed up system.

Is there any way to change it to a fresh new 10.04 install. That nothing has been added to yet?

This is very important because on 10.04 my video card won't handle all the mods that I had on 8.04 and my system freezes very soon after I log on.

Thank you in advance.

dabl
December 14th, 2010, 12:47 PM
The hidden "dot" files in the partition you are now using for /home carry the settings from your prior system. This is the big disadvantage of using a /home partition, versus symlinking your data folders into the /home partition.

To get rid of the settings, you can delete all of the files in that partition that begin with ".", such as ".adobe", ".alsaplayer", ".audacity-data", etc. etc.

Then, reformat (make a new ext4 filesystem) on the partition that you are using for "/", but don't reformat the one for /home.

Now you should be able to install 10.04, selecting the second partition for /home, and end up with a clean new 10.04 system.

Dutch70
December 14th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Great!!! I was beginning to think it was unheard of.
Is there any "." files that I wouldn't want to delete,
Or can I just highlight every single one of them & select delete?

dabl
December 14th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Technically there are a couple of the dot files that support your current X session, including .ICEauthority and .Xauthority. But, since you are reinstalling, there's no downside to selecting them all, and deleting them. I would advise doing it from a Live CD session.

Dutch70
December 17th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Ok...where do I find those "hidden" .dot files? I know I've ran across them before, but can't seem to find them now.

efflandt
December 17th, 2010, 12:22 PM
To see hidden dot files in Places press Ctrl+H, or in terminal or console do ls -a or ls -al

Dutch70
December 17th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Wonderful, Thank you very much dabl & efflandt. :)