PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Having Issues, New User.

arock88
December 14th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Hi, First it took me a while to get ubuntu running along side windows7. But after a lil effort and random clicking. It loaded, was getting stuck at the flash screen. But thats not the problem. I go to the update manager and it show 201 updates available. I click install updates, It asks for authentication, i type in the password. then it kind of just freezes. Now im like okay maybe trying to install them all at once is to much for this computer to handle. So i tried to do one at a time, and same thing. So i tried to log onto Empathy to ask help from a friend, and it just starts to connect and doesn't stop. So a little help will help me alot!

~Thanks, Arik.

arock88
December 14th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Hi, First it took me a while to get ubuntu running along side windows7. But after a lil effort and random clicking. It loaded, was getting stuck at the flash screen. But thats not the problem. I go to the update manager and it show 201 updates available. I click install updates, It asks for authentication, i type in the password. then it kind of just freezes. Now im like okay maybe trying to install them all at once is to much for this computer to handle. So i tried to do one at a time, and same thing. So i tried to log onto Empathy to ask help from a friend, and it just starts to connect and doesn't stop. So a little help will help me alot!

~Thanks, Arik.

Okay well i did commands,

"sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

It seemed to work, On the other hand Empathy still stays at the connecting screen. I came to the conclusion my authentication aint going threw.

arock88
December 15th, 2010, 01:50 AM
Okay i got all the updates, and got empathy to work. I still have troubles to get ubuntu to actually load up on, Like to freeze at the splash screen, i edited GNU and took out quiet splash and replaced it with no splash, to see why its stoping, and it doesnt. It loads fine, but after it loads it shows the splash screen again and fails. So after doing it 5or 6 times, it starts to work.