PDA

View Full Version : Watch thread

NMFTM
December 14th, 2010, 04:43 AM
Do you wear a wrist watch? If yes, what do you wear and why?

I have a Luminox 3051 (http://www.amazon.com/Luminox-Mens-3051-Colormark-Watch/dp/B000WY8ZHO) which I bought a few months ago for $170 and have been pretty happy with. I've never spent more than $35 on a watch before, so this was a pretty big leap for me. But, I've had issues with casebacks not securing onto the watch as tight as they originally were after replacing the battery and crowns breaking off. The idea of illuminated face markers that were always on (see: tritium illumination (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tritium_illumination)) was also a big factor. It has a half life of about 12 years. It's nice enough that I can't see myself ever getting a non-tritium watch again. As was the large easy to read face and the fact that every hour has it's own marker. So, I decided to suck it up and spend the money on something that'll hopefully last for awhile because the caseback on this one screws on with four screws and the crown is almost fully protected by guards. In a perfect world I'd have an automatic watch so I'd never have to open it up. But in reality, most automatics (at least the ones I thought looked nice) were far out of my price range. Another nice feature is that when the battery starts to get low, the second hand is supposed to skip ahead several seconds at a time so you know to replace it.

The only negative about it is that the second hand doesn't usually line up with the markers. But I've read that it's an issue with quartz watches in general and the only way to get around it is to buy a mechanical watch, which are less accurate. They advertise the "fact" that tons of Navy Seals wear their watches. But after reading a lot of forum posts, Casio's G-Shock line appears to be the most popular among soldiers.

I really like their Field Date 1828 (http://www.amazon.com/Luminox-1828-Field-Stainless-Steel/dp/B0022NHSZ8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=watches&qid=1292295467&sr=1-3) as well. Especially the fact that it also includes the day of the week. But, spending $170 on a watch was traumatizing enough for a college student and that was one of Luminox's cheapest watchs. The automatic version is about 2x what the battery powered is where I've seen it.

Almost none of my friends wear watches and they think they're an obsolete piece of technology in our day in age because of cell phones. But I think watches are still relevant. It's a lot more discrete to check the time by glaceing at your wrist rather than having to pull something out of your pocket. Checking the time can also be seen as rude because the person you're talking too might think that you're bored with them if they notice you checking the time. So you don't always want to make it obvious. Also, with the exception of computer clocks I don't like digital watches even though they're faster to read.

Phrea
December 14th, 2010, 04:55 AM
Do you wear a wrist watch?

No.

johntaylor1887
December 14th, 2010, 05:39 AM
I hate watches. If I need to know what time it is, I'll look at my phone.

CharlesA
December 14th, 2010, 05:47 AM
No watch here. I use my phone as a time piece. >.>

Kdar
December 14th, 2010, 05:49 AM
I have Movado Serio. I like it just for the looks, I guess. The time telling on is pretty approximate :).
http://www.movado.com/movado-collections/all-collections/serio/serio-0606388.html

lisati
December 14th, 2010, 05:54 AM
I wonder if a certain golfer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Hill_%28entrepreneur%29) will want my watch back, since it has his name and the name of the jewelery store Mr Lisati bought it from on the face.

johntaylor1887
December 14th, 2010, 05:55 AM
I have Movado Serio. I like it just for the looks, I guess. The time telling on is pretty approximate :).
http://www.movado.com/movado-collections/all-collections/serio/serio-0606388.html

I wouldn't buy one of those even if I was a multi-millionaire. I think that people who wear expensive jewelry are just like "look at me, I'm rich".

Khakilang
December 14th, 2010, 05:56 AM
No watch here. I use my phone as a time piece. >.>

Same here and also my todo list.

uRock
December 14th, 2010, 06:15 AM
I wouldn't buy one of those even if I was a multi-millionaire. I think that people who wear expensive jewelry are just like "look at me, I'm rich".
That one was cheap in the eyes of the rich. Personally, I do not bother with watches. Mostly because I can't yet afford the ones I like. For me it isn't a matter of "look at me" it is a matter of investing in something that is more likely to go up in value over time if well kept. After all, gold and diamonds do not loose value.

I like this model, but with darker gold. I don't care for white gold as much. http://www.rolex.com/en/rolex-watches/diamonds/datejust-special-edition-34mm-diamonds-white-gold-m81339-0018

Windows Nerd
December 14th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Reminds me of something John Lennon once said:

"For our last number, I'd like to ask your help. Would the people in the cheaper seats clap your hands. And the rest of you, if you'll, just rattle your jewelry."

I hate watches. If I need to know what time it is, I'll look at my phone.

I am exactly the opposite. I despise cell phones, and would rather use a watch any day. Watches, especially if you buy one you like the look of, often are used for a lot longer than a cell phone, and can carry sentimental value.

johntaylor1887
December 14th, 2010, 07:27 AM
I am exactly the opposite. I despise cell phones, and would rather use a watch any day.

When a watch can make phone calls, let me know. I need a cell phone for my business, but don't need a watch for my business since my phone can tell me the time.

handy
December 14th, 2010, 08:00 AM
No watch (since I retired from having to live by one 5+ years ago).

No Cell phone (I hate my thoughts being interrupted).

An iPod Touch carried occasionally out into the wild, which can give me time if I need it, which is a rare occurrence these days anyway, thankfully.

These days I use the sun mostly, like I did when I was a kid. :)

Evil-Ernie
December 14th, 2010, 11:17 AM
My dad is really into watches, he wears a rare Omega diving watch from the 70's but he also has a thing for self-winding Seikos and Heuers before they were taken over by Tag. He actually gave me a Tag chrono to use once but I never took to wearing that heavy chunk of metal on my wrist so he took it back when he realised I wasnt using it (he likes things to be used rather than just collected).

That was a long time ago and now I quite like the idea of a proper clockwork watch that will tell the time without the use of electricity, just the craftmanship of the maker.
I have promised myself a nice plain (not too flashy) Brietling if I ever have the money to spare... so thats probably never! LOL

NMFTM
December 16th, 2010, 05:19 AM
One interesting thing is that apparently a quartz movements takes awhile to break in. When I first got this watch it lost or gained about a minute per week. I set it over a month ago for DST and it's now only off by about 4 seconds. Nice!