PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems Installing Ubuntu Restricted Extras Package

sufianmehdi
December 13th, 2010, 10:47 PM
After installing Ubuntu,Firstly i went to the terminal & typed "$ sudo apt-get install Ubuntu Restricted Extras"
then i input my password,to install
but sometime later the Ubuntu Restricted Extras Package installation was failed.
How can i successfully install Ubuntu Restricted Extras Package?
pls describe in detail.

Quackers
December 13th, 2010, 10:57 PM
It's probably ubuntu-restricted-extras, but it's available through synaptic. Much easier :-)

mtron
December 13th, 2010, 11:05 PM
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

sufianmehdi
December 14th, 2010, 01:14 AM
After installing Ubuntu,Firstly i went to the terminal & typed "$ sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras"
then i input my password,to install
but sometime later the Ubuntu Restricted Extras Package installation was failed.
How can i successfully install Ubuntu Restricted Extras Package?
pls describe in detail.

snowpine
December 14th, 2010, 01:17 AM
Please copy and paste the output of the command. Without knowing the error messages, we cannot help you troubleshoot. ("It failed" is not enough information for us to tell you why it failed.)

If you are uncomfortable with the command line, you can install through Synaptic Package Manager or Ubuntu Software Center.

Quackers
December 14th, 2010, 01:22 AM
Go to System menu > Administration menu > Synaptic Package Manager
When synaptic opens enter in the search box (top right) ubuntu-restricted-extras and it will appear in the main panel.
Right-click it and select Mark for installation.
When it asks for confirmation click on Mark.
Then click on the green arrow in the tool bar.
When it asks for confirmation click on Apply

slammin211s
April 21st, 2011, 05:36 AM
has anyone seen this .... my system seems to get stuck here

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/4518fe58bb.png (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)

slammin211s
April 21st, 2011, 05:44 AM
posting again so im auto subscribed to this thread

Quackers
April 21st, 2011, 05:48 AM
Press tab and the "OK" will then be highlighted. Press enter.

slammin211s
April 21st, 2011, 05:56 AM
thanks so much!!! i feel like such a dumbass but this is my first time EVER using linux, let alone this crazy unix terminal thing ..... should be good to go now

thanks again

Quackers
April 21st, 2011, 06:05 AM
You're welcome :-)
You will also need to agree to the eula for the Microsoft ttf fonts.
Have fun!

slammin211s
April 21st, 2011, 06:08 AM
yea i got that going too, and got my music player up ... main reason i installed is everytime i was having to redo windows due to it getting slow id be like "i should try linux" and so now i finally manned up and checked it out

so much faster, seems like real cool apps, i havent had any driver issues at all yet

my computers 6 years old too!

Quackers
April 21st, 2011, 06:11 AM
Nice one! :-)
Ubuntu caters for lots of setups.