PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Graphics compliance...

dougalkerr
December 13th, 2010, 08:22 PM
I had a problem with Cairo Dock and a black rectangle which appeared after trying a test with two monitors and making some options that went wrong leading me to start in recovery mode and reset my graphics. Everything seemed to reset but, unfortunately some compositing settings got screwed up somewhere.
Well today I remembered this being a compositing problem. I went into Ubuntu Tweak and enabled Metacity's compositing manager but, left Metacity UNCHECKED as the theme manager because I am using Emerald.
Ofcourse when I checked to use Metacity's compositing manager I get the message to manually disable special effects.
In my humble opinion this defeats the purpose of trying to have a nice looking desktop environment but, nonetheless I made sure this was so when I got back to the desktop. I did notice immediately that the black rectangle around Cairo Dock disappeared and did not intrude over other windows so that was a success but, now how do I get things to work so that I can enable special effects again. I really like Skyrocket as a screensaver but, without special effects enabled of course, I can't run the GLX screensavers.
I am open to suggestions. Thanks for looking.