PDA

View Full Version : [other] Error Dual Booting into Ubuntu Install

austaph
December 13th, 2010, 07:16 PM
I just migrated my Wubi install to a dedicated partition, everything went fine except Windows is no longer showing up on my Grub boot menu. Instead it's been replaced with Ubuntu (/dev/sda1) which is my original Wubi install. Normally I'd tinker, but I have to be extremely precautious with my bootloader since I have no CD-ROM or USB drive - thus no reliable way of restoring my system in the event I can't boot into an OS.

Rubi1200
December 13th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Is this a Wubi install on a separate partition or an Ubuntu install on a dedicated partition (sorry was not sure from the post)?

The error message might have something to do with this if it is Wubi:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide#Windows%20Missing%20hal.dll

EDIT: okay, I get it now about which method you used.

Here is my recommendation:
Install using Wubi and then migrate it to a dedicated partition using this excellent guide:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1519354

I have seen a lot of users who have done this successfully and I think it would be easier than what you are currently trying to do (in my opinion).

austaph
December 13th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the reply. This isn't a Wubi installation, it's sort of a bootstrap. The method I have to use involves

Copying the installation files to my partition root
Using the Windows bootloader to boot into GRUB
Using GRUB to boot into a specific kernel and begin the normal installation process

My problem is that the Windows bootloader is failing to properly boot into c:\grub, and likely has to do with the way my Boot.ini is laid out.

Edit:

Install using Wubi and then migrate it to a dedicated partition

Thanks a bunch, I think I'll just do that instead.

Rubi1200
December 13th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Let us know how it goes and if you have any questions feel free to ask. We are here to try and help.

Make sure to prepare the partitions you need first and to do any backups, defragmenting and so on before you start.

Good luck!

austaph
December 29th, 2010, 12:29 AM
It's been a while, holidays and all. I updated the first post to where I'm at currently.