PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] need to remove ubuntu & reinstall windows

azurikai
December 13th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Hi everyone,

this is my first post, sorry if there is an answer somewhere here already, I couldn't find what I needed though.

I recently obtained an old windows desktop computer, but it had a lot of security lockdowns on its windows xp OS. Instead of trying to bypass these, i just installed Ubuntu 10.04 on the computer after completely wiping the drive. I really would like to redo this computer though and start using it for android programming & other programming based hobbies but I am not sure how to reinstall Windows XP on it fully. I'd FULLY like to wipe Ubuntu off of this computer, and start new.

Any help, hints, or ideas?

Thank you!

Austin

Quackers
December 13th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Welcome to UF.
You would boot from an XP installation disc, as you did with Ubuntu.

azurikai
December 13th, 2010, 04:31 PM
It said I could not format any of the drives to install it though?

Quackers
December 13th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Hmm, I'm afraid I don't know why that might be.
Maybe somebody else will know more about that problem.

pricetech
December 13th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Your XP install disk will let you remove any existing partitions, including the one that Ubuntu is on.

You might prefer to boot to the live CD and removed it with Partition Editor.

Either way, that's where you need to start.

From there, you should be able to find more than enough help on windows forums as to how to get XP running to suit you.

Have Fun.

azurikai
December 13th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Your XP install disk will let you remove any existing partitions, including the one that Ubuntu is on.

You might prefer to boot to the live CD and removed it with Partition Editor.

Either way, that's where you need to start.

From there, you should be able to find more than enough help on windows forums as to how to get XP running to suit you.

Have Fun.

thanks for the help, i'll try both!

MARP1961
December 14th, 2010, 11:32 AM
If you have the correct XP installation disk for that particular computer (Home or Professional, Retail or OEM) you will be fine. Unfortunately if you do not have the original XP product code/sticker, it may be simpler to buy a new copy of Windows XP. If it can be booted from the CD, it will format the hard drive and remove Linux as a consequence. Reinstalling XP takes ages (heaps of updates) and you need at least Service Pack 2 to be safe on the Internet. I would stick with Linux.