PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Converting ext3 to ext4 results in failing boot

materthron
December 13th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Hi all,

I tried to convert my filesystem from ex3 to ext4 by following the community docs (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ConvertFilesystemToExt4) for it.

When changing the fstab entry, my machine would say the filesystem is corrupted and boot into the maintenance console.
Running e2fsck -f always resulted in a "fs is clean" message.
After uncommenting the entry again (via Knoppix), my system would boot again.

My questions:

Is this is a "normal" fstab file?

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
#/dev/sda1
UUID=639fdfe7-cbee-414b-828b-e1d91b8df7f5 / ext3 relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
# /dev/sda5
UUID=976a8f6b-d91c-421b-ba37-028f437b5ffe none swap sw 0 0
/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

I find it curious that my system boots with the crucial line (/dev/sda1) being commented out.

How can I convert to ext4?

As I used GRUB 1.5 before, I upgraded to GRUB2 (via installing the grub2 package and the upgrade-from-grub-legacy command).

Thanks!

Philipp

dabl
December 13th, 2010, 03:56 PM
That /etc/fstab looks pretty normal. Some installers comment out the "/dev/sdxx" partition ID during setup, when they set up UUID mounting. UUID is way superior, since plugging in USB drives can change the /dev/sdxx numbers randomly, but UUIDs don't change (unless you reformat).

The community docs guidance for conversion of ext3 ---> ext4 are supposed to be very solid, but I admit I never did it. If you really want to change to ext4 (assuming desktop user here), I would just back up everything essential, and repartition and reinstall. Not sure it's worth it .... but it will get the job done safely if that's what you want.

coffeecat
December 13th, 2010, 05:18 PM
If you've converted sda1 to ext4, here is your problem:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
#/dev/sda1
UUID=639fdfe7-cbee-414b-828b-e1d91b8df7f5 / ext3 relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
# /dev/sda5
UUID=976a8f6b-d91c-421b-ba37-028f437b5ffe none swap sw 0 0
/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

You have to change that to 'ext4'. Make sure the UUID is still correct after the filesystem modification. I see no reason why it shouldn't be, but it's worth checking. Use:

sudo blkid
I find it curious that my system boots with the crucial line (/dev/sda1) being commented out.

That is not a crucial line, just a comment line. The one following is the one that does the work. You'll find that the UUID that starts the line is that for sda1 - but see my comment above.