PDA

View Full Version : Somebody Help me - Dell Streak or Samsung Galaxy S (Phone Not Tab)

Bharath
December 13th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Have any one of you bought Dell Streak... some how I have become crazy about it... but unable to get correct reviews / Extended service options / Dell's future intentions on product... it costs hell 35K INR. FYI last Thursday Dell released Froyo version of Android for Streak.

Somebody help me to make a decision.... which one should I buy...... Dell Streak or Samsung Galaxy S (phone not Tab)

After researching for 3 months I am totally confused.

Bharath

mendhak
December 13th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Flip a coin. You'll know what you really want when that coin is in midair.

treesurf
December 14th, 2010, 02:00 AM
Samsung. Better hardware, more community support.

TheOrangePeanut
December 14th, 2010, 03:30 AM
Samsung. Better hardware, more community support.

And a GPS that doesn't work. If you want to use any apps that use the GPS feature, forget about it. I love my Captivate but the GPS does not lock on, and even when it does it can't hold a signal. See a Samsung Galaxy S forum for more info.

I can't speak about the Dell, but avoid the Galaxy S if you need GPS.

AllRadioisDead
December 14th, 2010, 04:41 AM
Speaking from personal experience, I love my Galaxy S i9000(bell). It's a beast.

HullDown
December 14th, 2010, 05:31 AM
Just got a Samsung Transform, nice phone, but it won't port out to Ubuntu (or XP, will only work on Win 7). Which ever you get, check and make sure it is recognized by your distro of choice.

Bharath
December 14th, 2010, 08:49 AM
Thanks guys. I checked about GPS issues.. looks like it has not been solved. I travel a lot and practically depend on Google maps....

None of the phones in the market sync with Ubuntu... have to live with that.

So for now I have decided to wait till Samsung Galaxy S2 or Dell OpusOne to be released.... hope these new phones would have solved issues...

Thanks again

Bharath

HappinessNow
December 14th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Thanks guys. I checked about GPS issues.. looks like it has not been solved. I travel a lot and practically depend on Google maps....

None of the phones in the market sync with Ubuntu... have to live with that.

So for now I have decided to wait till Samsung Galaxy S2 or Dell OpusOne to be released.... hope these new phones would have solved issues...

Thanks again

Bharathwaiting is the best bet.

dummy910
December 14th, 2010, 01:17 PM
I own a GalaxyS via Verizon here in the states. Great phone although the GPS does at times take a while to lock onto a connection. This is thee number one complaint about the phone that Samsung promises will be corrected on the 2.2/2.3 update(to which is many weeks late btw).

If I enable both(via Settings>Location&Security):
Standalong GPS Services & Google Location Services, the GPS works every time w/o any issues... go figure.

amitabhishek
December 14th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Galaxy S has serious issues with lags and obviously GPS. Even 2.2 rollout has done little to address these issues. I dont how Samsung managed to slow down a device with such specs. IMHO Streak ships with 1.6 Android but Dell has been pushing a 2.2 update. Other specs are nice too & there is a giant display too. So Streak is not a bad option after all.

AlanR8
December 14th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Got an HTC Legend in June this year, upgraded it with Froyo in November and it just works!

I use the phone strangely to make calls but I also text a bit and as we "speak" it's tethered via the wireless Hotspot utility in Froyo to my Compaq Mini running Ubuntu 10.04. That just works as well.

The other thing that's impressed me is the Google Maps applications with speech recognition. Locks and loads just fine but can be a tad slow acquiring satellites. Because I'm a Gmail user, synchronising contacts and mail just works.

Better stop now....will be accused of being a Fanboi!!!!!! (Again).