PDA

View Full Version : [other] Kubuntu desktop & ubuntu desktop /w multiple users

labatts
December 13th, 2010, 02:39 PM
I currently have ubuntu 10.10. I would like to add kubuntu desktop. However, I don't believe that my wife will want to use a new desktop environment (I convinced her to switch to gnome from windows, so i don't want to try to convince her to switch again).

Currently we are both in gnome environment. When we are both logged in, we can simply switch to the other person simply by clicking on our name in the "indicator applet".

So here is my question:

Will we still be able to do this if one of us is logged under gnome (ubuntu desktop) and the other one logged under kde (kubuntu desktop).

Hopefully this question makes sense. Appreciate any help. =)

3Miro
December 13th, 2010, 04:28 PM
My guess is no. The indicator applet is Gnome only and I don't think it will support KDE (however, I may be wrong). Even if it does work, you will need to have a lot of RAM, loading two instances of Gnome only little more than one instance of Gnome. Gnome + KDE will take a tow on memory.

Complete logout-login will work for sure.

labatts
December 13th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Ah, that makes sense. I hadn't thought about that. So, you can do both, but its a good idea to stick to one then.

3Miro
December 13th, 2010, 06:01 PM
KDE is in many ways closer to windows than Gnome, your wife may like it better than Gnome.