PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual boot installation ubuntu & win7 on NEW hdd

Shishant
December 13th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Hello,

I want to know how should I install for dual boot on new harddisk, because in my previous (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1619681) new harddisk win7 formatted it as a dynamic drive (partition) which cant be read by ubuntu.

Quackers
December 13th, 2010, 03:53 PM
What I would do is install Win 7 first. Then boot into Win 7 and check how many PRIMARY partitions it has created. You can do this in the disk management console. If Win 7 has created 3 or less primary partitions you are ok.You can then reduce the size of your C: partition by right-clicking on it and selecting "shrink". This will give you free space for Ubuntu to install into.
If Win 7 has created 4 primary partitions you will need to delete one of them (backup first, if necesary) and if needed then reduce the C: drive size to give free space for Ubuntu.
The new extended partition (and root/swap partitions) can be created in the Ubuntu installation by selecting the manual option in the partitioning stage.
But don't create another primary partition (other than the extended partition).

marin123
December 13th, 2010, 04:06 PM
or you can select on win 7 installation that it installs on just half (or as much as you want) of the partition and then later on you dont have to shrink win 7 drive space...

Shishant
December 13th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Space is not an issue for me, My new hdd is 2tb. My problem is that last time when I installed win7 first and then was trying to install ubuntu, ubuntu was not detecting partitions correctly and many on forums said its because the disc type is "dynamic" (Img: http://i52.tinypic.com/v83nyp.png)

I want to know, in this new hdd how should I install, so that I dont have to convert disc type to basic later.

Quackers
December 13th, 2010, 04:32 PM
With your previous problems it is likely that Win 7 created 4 primary partitions. This is the maximum an any disc using mbr. If you try to create a 5th primary partition Windows will change all of its partitions to "dynamic" which means that Ubuntu won't see the disc.
It is vital to check how many primary partitions Win 7 has created once it is installed.

Shishant
December 13th, 2010, 05:00 PM
With your previous problems it is likely that Win 7 created 4 primary partitions. This is the maximum an any disc using mbr. If you try to create a 5th primary partition Windows will change all of its partitions to "dynamic" which means that Ubuntu won't see the disc.
It is vital to check how many primary partitions Win 7 has created once it is installed.
In total I want 6 partitions NTFS and 2 for ubuntu (for / and /swap) so can you please guide how should I install?

Quackers
December 13th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Install Win 7
Boot it and go to disk management console.
See how many primary partitions are there.
If 3 or less create an extended partition and create all other required NTFS partitions as logical partitions within that extended partition, but also leaving space for your Ubuntu partitions.
If Win 7 has created 4 primary partitions you will need to delete one then do as above.

It is possible that Win 7 will use all your disc by default. If it does you will also need to resize a partition before creating new ones.