PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual Monitors Not Displaying Correctly

rkburnside
December 13th, 2010, 06:08 AM
I am running ubuntu 10.10, 64-bit version on a laptop with an external monitor attached through the vga port. I also have an lcd tv hooked up through a hdmi connection (though only 2 display at one time).

Here's the issue, when I attach the external monitor or lcd, neither display correctly. The left side of the laptop screen is displayed on the right side of the external monitor (see the attached image). The area that is displayed is unusable...I can't click or move windows into that area. However, that area does update if I click an icon on the laptop screen.

This initially happened in the standard gnome desktop. I tried creating a new user profile, but the same screen issue happens. I installed ubuntu netbook edition environment (ubiquity) to see if that would change the problem, but did not.

When I start ubuntu using the "safe mode," the monitors display correctly and I have no issue with them. However, when I switch back to normal mode, the error shows up again.

Changing the location of the monitors using "monitor preferences" has not effect on the issue other than changing which monitor has the unusable area (it may be switched from the external monitor to the laptop monitor and back).

How can I revert back or reset the screen to the default as found in the safe mode? Or how can I fix this? Thanks in advance for the help.

Zavie A.
January 5th, 2011, 05:21 PM
I have this exact same problem.

Does anyone know what to do? :/