PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Creating bootable USB under 10.10 fails

nedfunnell
December 13th, 2010, 06:06 AM
Hello,
I am operating Ubuntu 10.10 installed to disk on a desktop and trying to create a bootable USB of the same to install on my netbook. I am using the instructions found here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick) but every time I try to create the bootable USB, it fails. I get various error messages, such as:

org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

An uncaught exception was raised:
[Errno 5] Input/output error

or others. I think I've seen four or five others. Once I got 80% finished then it failed with a generic error stating that creating the bootable disk failed. I've tried formatting the USB drive as ext3, ext4, NTFS, and FAT, but I always get failures. I am writing from a physical CD, the same one I used to install the 10.10 that I am posting from.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

C.S.Cameron
December 13th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Flash drive should be formatted FAT32.
Use System/Administration/Startup Disk Creator.
Or try UNetbootin.

You might check the iso using MD5SUM.

Lynn X
July 16th, 2011, 05:25 PM
My experience:
New Kingston 4mb drive fat32 (sdb) , Ubuntu Server 11.04 32bit iso
1) <system><administration><create startup disk> sdb1:"fail" | sdb: "fail" | :(
2) <system><administration><disk utility> formatted to fat16
3) <system><administration><create startup disk> sdb1:"fail" | sdb: "fail" | :(
4) <system><administration><gparted> recreated mbr, formatted to fat32
5) <system><administration><create startup disk> sdb1:"fail" | sdb: "fail" | :(
And the winner is . . .
6) <system><administration><disk utility> noticed 3 instances of the iso shown as "mounted"; unmounted all three. Also checked "bootable" (for reasons I do not know)
7) <system><administration><create startup disk> sdb1:SUCCESS :D
Its all magic to me