PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unable to boot from cd. alt. install?

eifersucht9
December 13th, 2010, 04:25 AM
I have been trying to install 10.10 for hours now. I get to the purple screen that has what appears to be a keyboard = then a circle at the bottom. I cant get past this point, it seems to freeze n matter what keys I press. Thinking the CD was bad, I tried to install on a different computer and it worked fine. USB boot is not an option because this computer cant boot from USB.

Is there any other way to install Ubuntu?

Quackers
December 13th, 2010, 04:38 AM
If you tap the F6 key during boot you should get a screen offering you the chance to check the cd for errors. Try that first.

Quackers
December 13th, 2010, 04:53 AM
Sorry, I've re-read your first post and I see that the cd is good.
What graphics card do you have in your pc?

eifersucht9
December 13th, 2010, 04:56 AM
If you tap the F6 key during boot you should get a screen offering you the chance to check the cd for errors. Try that first.

Thank you for the reply, check finished: no errors found. Is a net install available?

Quackers
December 13th, 2010, 04:58 AM
I don't think so.
Check post #3

eifersucht9
December 13th, 2010, 05:09 AM
Thank you, I have been tracking it down and the specs I see on the HP page says its a ATI MOBILITY RADEON. 6mb but don;t know the model.

Quackers
December 13th, 2010, 05:12 AM
If you can boot from the Live cd and get to the purple Ubuntu screen press any key at that stage and you should get another screen up. If you press F6 on that screen some boot options should appear on the right side. You may need to try all of them one at a time. The most often successful one is "nomodeset". I would try that one first. Hopefully one of these boot options will allow you to continue the installation.

eifersucht9
December 13th, 2010, 05:26 AM
Ok, I just tried to press F6 at the purple screen but nothing happens. I started thinking that perhaps it was an issue with the keyboard so i tried an external with no luck. Any other Ideas would be great!

Quackers
December 13th, 2010, 05:28 AM
The normal way is to press any key at the purple screen then F6 at the next screen but I don't see any reason why what you tried wouldn't work.
That's me out of ideas I'm afraid.
Maybe somebody else can come up with something else.