PDA

View Full Version : Any UF folks on Diaspora?

DeadSuperHero
December 13th, 2010, 01:41 AM
By Diaspora, I refer to both the "JoinDiaspora.com" service, and any other Diaspora seeds out there.

I just figured it'd be fun to try and make some new friends, get a bunch of FOSS enthusiasts together, and bugtest the service as it develops over the next few months. Feel free to just post your Diaspora handle in this thread.

Mine is: DeadSuperHero@joindiaspora.com :D

JDShu
December 13th, 2010, 03:47 AM
Looks interesting. I'm a bit confused about what the invite is for. Are they hosting an official server?

DeadSuperHero
December 13th, 2010, 04:01 AM
Looks interesting. I'm a bit confused about what the invite is for. Are they hosting an official server?

Yeah, JoinDiaspora.com is their official alpha. Each person invited gets five invites in turn, but people on the main service can also interact with people on other Diaspora servers as well.

JDShu
December 13th, 2010, 04:23 AM
Ohh awesome. OK, I just requested an invite on the site :D

koanhead
December 29th, 2010, 03:03 AM
I'm running a server at http://hodgepod.pagekite.me

My diaspora id is koanhead@hodgepod.pagekite.me

Or rather it should be, my server reports it as koanhead@localhost

I will send invites upon request- or attempt to- but it seems the invites I have already sent are undelivered, so there ya go.

TriBlox6432
January 10th, 2011, 05:50 PM
TriBlox6432@diasp.org

DeadSuperHero
January 10th, 2011, 05:56 PM
TriBlox6432@diasp.org

Awesome, added you to my "Ubuntu" aspect! :)

Also, folks, you can sign up over at diasp.org and skip worrying about the official server at joindiaspora.org. In fact, here's an available list of all known Diaspora pods (http://podup.sargodarya.de/).

Kalimol
January 10th, 2011, 06:11 PM
I'm still waiting - after weeks - on my invitation for the main pod at joindiaspora. I tried disap.org, and it crashed and the admin deleted everyone's data. Then I tried another random pod, and it also deleted my account. I'm hoping that the main pod is going to be a bit more reliable.

dh04000
January 10th, 2011, 06:15 PM
I signed up and out a link to confirm my account during the alpha test sign up. But when I enter my password and user name, it always gives me and error. Months later and I still get an error.

I'm not very impressed.

If anyone wants to gift me an invite, since you got 5 to hand out, I'd appreciate it.

wilee-nilee
January 10th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Since I use the FF addon WOT web of trust, this is what comes up upon reaching the site.

If this site is okay which it probably is this rating can be changed by posting at the Wot site. Actually under the .org no warning .com there is one, same site, Wot seems confused as usual.

TriBlox6432
January 10th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Awesome, added you to my "Ubuntu" aspect! :)

I added you to my "Ubuntu Forums" aspect. You're my only "contact" so far. :P

Also, dh04000, I can send you an invite if you PM me your email address. But it will be @diasp.org and not @joindiaspora.com

JDShu
January 10th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Alright I signed up on diasp.org:

jdshu@diasp.org

Kalimol
January 10th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Trying it again. I'm copperbezel. = )

Dustin2128
January 10th, 2011, 11:28 PM
they won't let me join, been on their mail list since the beginning! Yeah, I'm planing on breaking out the old P3 and making a diasp server of my own. How well does that integrate with other diaspora servers? E.g can you contact people the same way you would if they were on the same server?
EDIT: I only just heard of diasp.org... embarrassing. Signing up now.
Double edit: azripah@diasp.org

Shpongle
January 11th, 2011, 01:15 AM
electric_pensioner at diasp.org

DeadSuperHero
January 11th, 2011, 01:59 AM
they won't let me join, been on their mail list since the beginning! Yeah, I'm planing on breaking out the old P3 and making a diasp server of my own. How well does that integrate with other diaspora servers? E.g can you contact people the same way you would if they were on the same server?

Actually, that's exactly how decentralization is supposed to work. Anyone on any pod can (in theory) communicate across pods. I've found that it works very well across JoinDiaspora and Diasp.org, but really you could even set up your own pod on your computer and share with people, provided you have it all set up properly.

Trying it again. I'm copperbezel. = )
I can't seem to find you in the search...are you on Diasp.org?

Kalimol
January 11th, 2011, 04:35 AM
Yeah - odd. I didn't have any problem finding you. I wonder what happened there.

alexan
January 11th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Why do people still use nick with numbers? find a new server and get your preferred name, that's diaspora's one advance.
alessandro@diasp.de

Still don't know how it work anyway.

dh04000
January 11th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the invite Michael!

I'll return the favor to UF, anyone want an invite?

James7
January 11th, 2011, 07:41 PM
I'm at james7@diasp.org if people want to connect to me. :)

Also, I have five invites. Just email me at james7hall at gmail.com (but I don't think anyone should have any problem signing up without an invitation!)

Shpongle
January 11th, 2011, 10:10 PM
Busy with exams at the minute , but I will be active soon enough. I like it so far pretty slick design too

markyb73
January 11th, 2011, 10:52 PM
I'm at james7@diasp.org if people want to connect to me. :)

Also, I have five invites. Just email me at james7hall at gmail.com (but I don't think anyone should have any problem signing up without an invitation!)

Thanks ! :D

James7
January 12th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Why do people still use nick with numbers? find a new server and get your preferred name, that's diaspora's one advance.
alessandro@diasp.de

Still don't know how it work anyway.

I tried to find you on diasp.org but I couldn't. I put in your whole 'email'/login and it showed no results. I don't think it's to do with it being on a different address, as DeadSuperHero@joindiaspora.com worked fine.

I also couldn't find koanhead@hodgepod.pagekite.me ...

Anyway, I managed, I think, to share with the others in the thread here. People here are certainly welcome to share with me ( james7@diasp.org ) :)

I hope this takes off!

alexan
January 15th, 2011, 11:43 AM
I tried to find you on diasp.org but I couldn't. I put in your whole 'email'/login and it showed no results. I don't think it's to do with it being on a different address, as DeadSuperHero@joindiaspora.com worked fine.

I also couldn't find koanhead@hodgepod.pagekite.me ...

Anyway, I managed, I think, to share with the others in the thread here. People here are certainly welcome to share with me ( james7@diasp.org ) :)

I hope this takes off!

I was on diasp.eu (which did work pretty well), which looks like is maintained from Germany but hosted in the US.
So I am looking for another server with: simple name+notacrosstheatlantic

I did try diasp.de and diasp.be and weleft.com... but all of them seem do have problem to find user.

diasp.eu (alessandro@diasp.eu) is working pretty well... but for ethical propouse I don't want my personal data hosted on the other side of this planet (nor China, Russia, Middleast, USA etc...)
Any good diaspora pod I could try in EU, Canada, Australia...?

gnomeuser
January 15th, 2011, 12:19 PM
No big surprise I am:

davidnielsen@joindiaspora.com

Though I haven't really started using this yet, so much to do.

alexan
January 15th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Ok, for now I've decided to use diasp.org
Which seems to be the most active/working one.
alessandrohttp://rap.dsi.unifi.it/~boreale/at.jpgdiasp.org

To me, all andress given in this thrad works but
koanhead@hodgepod.pagekite.me

James7
January 15th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Ok, for now I've decided to use diasp.org
Which seems to be the most active/working one.
alessandrohttp://rap.dsi.unifi.it/~boreale/at.jpgdiasp.org

To me, all andress given in this thrad works but
koanhead@hodgepod.pagekite.me

Yes, that last one didn't work either.

It's funny but I need to go to Firefox to do searches for people. In Opera nothing happens....

michaelcarey95
September 30th, 2011, 03:52 PM
I'll go through and add all of the people that posted here to my Ubuntu Forums aspect, if you're active.

Mine is michaelcarey95@diasp.org

debd
September 30th, 2011, 06:10 PM
m here: debd@diasp.org ;;;;;; feels like a ghost town there..

only updates from diasp HQ :D

DangerOnTheRanger
September 30th, 2011, 10:35 PM
m here: debd@diasp.org ;;;;;; feels like a ghost town there..

only updates from diasp HQ :D

I post updates pretty frequently :) No clue how often other people update, though.