PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't change file permissions on fresh install

tonypg
December 12th, 2010, 11:54 PM
Hi, I have just installed Ubuntu 10.10 64bit on my Qosmio Toshiba laptop.

At the completion of the install i had about a page of errors. But it boots up ok. However when i tried to install Visual Paradigm on the system i found that every time i ran the executable i get an error message saying access denied. Found away around this problem on a VP forum so managed to get the program to work with the non-install version.

The problem i am having now is i can save files. I have checked the permissions of the vpworkshop folder (properties > permissions) and all permissions are currently set to '---'. If i try and change them to 'wr'. It just reverts back to '---'.

Is there an easy way to fix this?

ryadav
December 13th, 2010, 12:48 AM
getting a page of error sound serious, regardless of if the system boots up or not. my 1st concern would be to get a clean install.

why don't you reinstall ubuntu 10.10 and post what errors you are getting here and ask for help first

tonypg
December 13th, 2010, 02:12 AM
Just did fresh install.

Same problem getting error messages at the end of the install. Along the lines of

[2796.29####] end_request i/o error, dev sr0, sector 75#####

there is over a page of these lines at reboot stage of the install.

On boot up. I see two error messages saying something like

drm Could not find output table.

First thing i did when desktop came up was create a folder and try and change the permissions no joy.

tonypg
December 13th, 2010, 11:44 AM
I have tried the DVD 64bit install the 64 bit CD install and now the 32 bit CD install. Every time i get this same problem. This is becoming a major issue. I really need help with this.

I am almost tempted to install Winblows 7