PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Change default environment

PHANTOM X
December 12th, 2010, 10:29 PM
I need some help on changing my desktop to ICEWM. Want my laptop to run light as possible by using thunar, icewm panels and themes. I got it to change to ICEWM as the default window manager instead of compiz, but can't figure out how to change the panels, themes and file manager?

3Miro
December 12th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Right now you have Gnome + IceWM. You want IceWM as its own standalone environment.

Try logout -> select IceWM from the bottom menu for the current session and then login. There may be an extra step to force it to remember the new selection as default, but I think it will remember it.

PHANTOM X
December 12th, 2010, 11:31 PM
I want it to be forced. :) Unfortunately after I logged in no panel was visible. I also use a wireless connection, but the network applet doesn't show or work forcing me to use an ethernet connection. :(

3Miro
December 12th, 2010, 11:56 PM
I want it to be forced. :) Unfortunately after I logged in no panel was visible. I also use a wireless connection, but the network applet doesn't show or work forcing me to use an ethernet connection. :(

The panel should hold a "notification" applet that in its turn holds nm-applet, which controls NetworkManager, which is exactly what it says it is. In that way nm-applet is independent from the desktop environment (Gnome, XFCE, LXDE) and NetworkManager doesn't even need graphical environment, it can be controlled via a terminal.

Why the IceWM panel doesn't show up, I don't know. I didn't even know IceWM even has a panel of its own.

PHANTOM X
December 13th, 2010, 12:18 AM
ICEWM doesn't have a panel. I installed ltpanel. How do I connect via the terminal?

I did something that caused it to show up. Possibly installed something in the software center.

Edit: It seems it was the "GNOME support files for IceWM" that enabled the panel.

3Miro
December 13th, 2010, 02:22 AM
Most standalone window managers have a right-click then menu option. If you right-click on the desktop, you should be able to get to a menu. From there, you can open any program that you want.

If you want the panel, you will have to call it on startup, however, I don't know how to call a startup application in IceWM.

Note: You can try to start the panel from the terminal (type ltpanel or something like that), or you may also be able to call programs if you press Alt + F2.

dxtan3
December 13th, 2010, 02:25 AM
Hi, I'm very new here and this is my first post. Sorry if this is the wrong thread. . what is the difference between ICEWM and Xfce?

roguebuck
December 13th, 2010, 03:41 AM
IceWM is a standalone window manager, while Xfce is a full desktop environment.

check xwinman.org (http://xwinman.org)

PHANTOM X
December 14th, 2010, 04:42 AM
Yeah I noticed that you can right click and get access to the menus. :) I would do a command line install if I didn't use wubi now and like it as it's easy to remove and reinstall. :) Guess this'll work for now with icewm instead of compiz. :)