PDA

View Full Version : C++ Socket classes

roadkillguy
December 12th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Does anybody know of any good c++ socket classes? I've been searching and searching to no avail. UDP is what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

dwhitney67
December 12th, 2010, 10:38 PM
C++ itself does not offer a suite of classes to support sockets. You do, however, have options available to you.

1. You can develop your own socket classes;
2. You can use Boost's asio package;
3. Or use some other 3rd-party library that offers such.

I'm not sure if your goal is to learn how to implement a (UDP) socket interface, or merely use some pre-existing interface that obfuscates the nitty-gritty details of dealing with sockets.

P.S. Long-ago, I went with option 1 above. Let me know if you wish to use it.

roadkillguy
December 12th, 2010, 10:44 PM
I'm actually looking to make a game of mine multiplayer. I've been able to get SDL_net working, but I don't want to have to use the SDL graphics library just for simple sockets. D: If your class has the basic functions such as bind, resolve host, open, etc. I would be willing to implement them into my little wrapper class.

dwhitney67
December 12th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Ah, SDL_net... that was the other package that I forgot to mention earlier. A lot of folks use it because it is available for Windoze and Linux.

My Socket library, which is still a "work in progress", is useful only under Linux. Of course, it supports the basics: TCP, UDP, Raw Sockets, Multicasting. Nowadays, I merely tinker with creating example client/server apps.

Anyhow, I've attached the library for your convenience.

roadkillguy
December 13th, 2010, 03:32 AM
Yeah, cross platform would be nice. Do you know if SDL_net can be cross compiled to windows using mingw? Maybe you could drop me libSDL_net.a or something...

EDIT: Nevermind! I got SDL_net cross compiling. Thanks for the help! It turns out you can sometimes rename SDL_net.lib to libSDL_net.a and have mingw cross compile it for windows.