PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need Stable Hardware for 10.04

markriggins
December 12th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Hi,

I'm having trouble with my monitor and/or graphics card and cannot find the answer, and I'm tired of looking. I plan to trash the whole setup and buy something that will work out of the box, and use this 2-year old box & monitor for windoze.

Can anyone recommend a hardware/monitor setup that works perfectly out of the box with 10.04?

I plan to use it for Netbeans development, GIMP, apache, and occasionally watch tv via hulu.com.

----------------
Side note: The actual problem. My windows lose their borders periodically and I can no longer choose one window over another. Using the <Atl><Tab> sequence to rapidly switch windows makes it happen sooner.

I can run metacity --replace and that helps for a while, but eventually, or run the compiz-fusion icon and choose "reload window manager". Sometimes switching from compiz to metacity or
vice versa will get it working for a while, but eventually
the screen gets to the point where it is no longer usable and I have to reboot or run /etc/init.d/gdm restart to kill X and start all over.

This is costing me development time and $. I've found others with the problem, but no solution.

Hardware: Hp Media Center m7330n
Monitor: Acer AL2216W
Graphics card: RS480 [Radeon Xpress 200G Series]

running Ubuntu 10.10 now, which runs longer before the problem crops up.

snowpine
December 12th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Ubuntu has a Hardware Certification Program:

http://webapps.ubuntu.com/certification/

teeedubb
December 13th, 2010, 06:36 AM
nvidia graphics drivers are alot better than ati's on linux