PDA

View Full Version : Creating a MS-Windows compatible OS

Linux_junkie
December 12th, 2010, 11:42 AM
I've been thinking about this for quite a while (yeah I know I'm sad!) but I wonder how easy or difficult it would be to create an OS that was compatible with MS-Windows in that it could install all or most of Windows software but have the security and stability of a Unix type OS?

Would such an OS fall foul of Microsoft's licences? Even if the code was completely written from scratch and not copied from Microsoft's code?

But then if such an OS was to be developed would it tempt Windows users away for a more secure and stable OS?

Any thoughts?

Paqman
December 12th, 2010, 11:44 AM
There's a project called React OS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReactOS) that sets out to do just this. Doesn't look like it's been able to maintain much momentum though.

Tibuda
December 12th, 2010, 03:04 PM
I've been thinking about this for quite a while (yeah I know I'm sad!) but I wonder how easy or difficult it would be to create an OS that was compatible with MS-Windows in that it could install all or most of Windows software but have the security and stability of a Unix type OS?
Difficult, but there's already a project like this.

Would such an OS fall foul of Microsoft's licences? Even if the code was completely written from scratch and not copied from Microsoft's code?
Probably yes, mostly due to patents, not licenses.

But then if such an OS was to be developed would it tempt Windows users away for a more secure and stable OS?
No.

HermanAB
December 12th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Uhm... sounds like you should join the WINE project.

Shining Arcanine
December 12th, 2010, 06:06 PM

Any thoughts?

It is incredibly difficult considering all of the legacy baggage you would need to support.

3Miro
December 12th, 2010, 06:16 PM
This is essentially what WINE is about. Making an entire system like that is more difficult and it will provide little extra.

BTW many of the security and performance issues are in the way windows was designed in the first place, creating a fully compatible OS will necessarily carry some of those over.

ki4jgt
December 12th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Try React OS. It is 30 megs big and looks entirely like XP. I tried it and loved it however it can't be ported to USB so I couldn't install it b/c I have a netbook.