PDA

View Full Version : The Gnome foundations own web browser

Linux_junkie
December 12th, 2010, 11:09 AM
From reading posts on these forums it appears that the common web browsers that are used are Mozilla Firefox; Opera; Chrome/Chromium.

I was searching through the Gnome foundations website and found that they have two web browsers (Galeon and Epiphany) available for Gnome that I have never heard anyone here use them. I was wondering if anyone has or still uses them and how do they compare to the common web browsers?

I currently have Mozilla Firefox; Opera and Konqueror (as I have Gnome and KDE installed on laptop) and just wondering if theses Gnome web browsers are just as good but also use less resources. I'm thinking about slimming down this laptop.

It would be interesting to know what you people think.

Spice Weasel
December 12th, 2010, 11:11 AM
I'd recommend Midori. It's a very light web browser with several neat features that uses GTK, but uses Webkit.

My experience with Epiphany is that it does what it does well, but it doesn't do much. From what I remember Galeon was horribly outdated.

ki4jgt
December 12th, 2010, 11:44 AM
+ 1 for midori. Links2 works also if you're into that sort of thing.

NightwishFan
December 12th, 2010, 11:49 AM
I have mostly positive experiences with Epiphany and Midori though they lack some features you might be used to with Firefox. If asked, I would recommend Firefox, then Epiphany second.

screaminj3sus
December 12th, 2010, 04:31 PM
They are all pretty bad IMO. Of the ones mentioned in this thread midori is the best but still not very good.

ssam
December 12th, 2010, 04:52 PM
epiphany is good if you want more minimal.

Zlatan
December 12th, 2010, 05:03 PM
epiphany is good if you want more minimal.

could see something like epiphany-plugins ins synaptic earlier, you can check these

3Miro
December 12th, 2010, 06:19 PM
I have used Galeon, but I found it lacking. Midori is the only browser that I have seen that can stand up to Chromium, FireFox and Opera. I have not used Epiphany and the new Rekonq (for KDE) looked almost there the last time I checked (it may be there already).

CarpKing
December 12th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Epiphany is pretty good. It does lack some features (even more than the developers intend, as IIRC some of the extensions have yet to be ported to the webkit version) and there are some random sites that don't work as well as in Firefox, but for most uses it works well and feels a little snappier than Firefox.

Last time I used Midori it looked nice but had a ton of unimplemented features. That was probably over two years ago, though, so that has undoubtedly improved and may be fixed entirely.

Galeon is pretty much a clunky frontend for Firefox, and hasn't been developed much since it was forked to create Epiphany.

Spice Weasel
December 13th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Last time I used Midori it looked nice but had a ton of unimplemented features. That was probably over two years ago, though, so that has undoubtedly improved and may be fixed entirely.

Damn, was Midori even around two years ago?

You need to try it again.

kaldor
December 13th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Midori and Epiphany feel too outdated. They are unreliable in my experience (lots of crashes and compatibility issues). Every now and then I install them, but always find myself going back to Firefox/Iceweasel or Chromium.

There's good reason that no (major) GNOME distro uses Epiphany by default, despite being the "Official" GNOME browser.

Spice Weasel
December 13th, 2010, 04:42 PM
I thought IceWeasel was now IceCat and had a cool logo?

screaminj3sus
December 13th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Damn, was Midori even around two years ago?

You need to try it again.

Does its bookmarks management and speeddial still suck? When I last tried it it was totally incapable of importing bookmarks from any browser, the new tab page was practically useless and very glitchy. Was very unimpressed. I tried it a few months ago.

There's nothing that really makes it better than chrome/firefox/opera either, besides maybe better gtk integration, and firefox 4 is looking quite good, and recent opera builds are looking FAR better in linux then they used to.

Spice Weasel
December 13th, 2010, 06:13 PM
There's nothing that really makes it better than chrome/firefox/opera either, besides maybe better gtk integration, and firefox 4 is looking quite good, and recent opera builds are looking FAR better in linux then they used to.

It uses 80MB less memory than Firefox 4, and has the go forward page button. It seemed to be able to import Firefox bookmarks fine, and just turned off the Speed Dial since I don't find it useful.

Oh, and it renders much better than Firefox, but is equal to Chrome and Opera in that respect.

Anzan
December 14th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Epiphany has never crashed for me. Chromium has never crashed for me (though plugins have and are reloaded with page refresh). Firefox crashes several times a day. Opera is not FLOSS.

NightwishFan
December 14th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Epiphany crashes a good twice an hour for me. :D I still love it though.

Linux_junkie
December 14th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Thank you for all your replies they've been interesting to read. I'll think I'll stick to Firefox for Gnome and Opera or Konqueror for KDE.