PDA

View Full Version : An spaceship coming toward earth?

legolas_w
December 12th, 2010, 01:44 AM
I came across this news entry

http://www.newsweird.com/2010121112/alien-and-bazaar-ufo-sightings/is-armadas-of-giant-real-alien-ships-moving-towards-the-earth-soon-arrive-3290/attachment/approaching-alien-ships-captured-on-telescope

Can someone more familiar with the subject clarify please.

NCLI
December 12th, 2010, 01:47 AM
I came across this news entry

http://www.newsweird.com/2010121112/alien-and-bazaar-ufo-sightings/is-armadas-of-giant-real-alien-ships-moving-towards-the-earth-soon-arrive-3290/attachment/approaching-alien-ships-captured-on-telescope

Can someone more familiar with the subject clarify please.

If it was really alien spaceships, they would have to be moving faster than the speed of light, and we probably wouldn't be able to see them before they slowed down. It's probably just dust near the lens or something.

cgroza
December 12th, 2010, 01:50 AM
Moving faster than the speed of light is impossible because there is a law that forbids it at least in this galaxy!

unknownPoster
December 12th, 2010, 01:56 AM
Moving faster than the speed of light is impossible because there is a law that forbids it at least in this galaxy!

Considering that no one actually has physical evidence of traveling at light speed, I'd argue that it's more a of a theory than a law. We won't truly know until we attempt it.

NCLI
December 12th, 2010, 02:11 AM
You mean "in this universe." It is true that it currently seems impossible, but so did accelerating particles to 299.999 km/s 100 years ago.

wilee-nilee
December 12th, 2010, 02:24 AM

Not true light curved with gravity is traveling at different speeds at top to bottom.....mmmmmm is it a wave or a particle thats the question.

The top of the curve is covering more distance then the bottom at the same time.

red_Marvin
December 12th, 2010, 02:34 AM
Clicking on the previous topic link in that article leads to a similar article on the same topic, where the alleged source is a Craig Kasnov.
Googling that name brings up http://paranormalutopia.com/2010/12/craig-kasnov010/ which link to http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message1283626/pg1 where one might find especially the fifth post interesting.

KL_72_TR
December 12th, 2010, 02:50 AM
p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; } Ha ha ha ha ….. It is a cheap manipulated photo, nothing else. And IF....IF is true only mother nature knows what's out there in the space.
Ha ha ha ha h...... Don't worry --- THEY COME IN PEACE----
Only humans come in war.... ;-)

3Miro
December 12th, 2010, 02:54 AM
It is not possible to move faster than the speed of light (or with the speed of light, since anything with rest mass would require infinite energy to accelerate), however, there are stars and galaxies that move away from us faster than the speed of light because the space and contract and expand faster than light. You can theoretically get from point A to point B faster than what it would take the light (contract space, move a short distance, reset space), but it is unclear if this is even possible in any practical way.

BTW, inside the particle accelerators we have accelerated particles with speed close to that of the light.

Gremlinzzz
December 12th, 2010, 04:13 AM
OH sh%t where can we hide?

Dustin2128
December 12th, 2010, 04:47 AM
If it was really alien spaceships, they would have to be moving faster than the speed of light, and we probably wouldn't be able to see them before they slowed down. It's probably just dust near the lens or something.
We don't need to move faster than the speed of light, we aliens just launch ships at around 95% of the speed of light. The time dilation means the trip takes mere weeks or months for the crew. Also, for those below who think that the speed of light can be broken in realspace; and we don't know because we haven't reached it, we know because of science. I refer you to this xkcd:http://xkcd.com/54/
if that doesn't work, look at this:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_light
There's nothing that says you can't travel faster than light practically (e.g. through a wormhole or warp drive), just not physically e.g. through endlessly accelerating a rocket. And assuming speeds near the speed of light can be reached, manned ships would still want to go near that to take advantage of time dilation for interstellar journeys.

Khakilang
December 12th, 2010, 04:58 AM
To me it look like an image manipulation to look like a spaceship. On closer it hardly look like any space ship but some obscure obscene object.

alexfish
December 12th, 2010, 05:01 AM
looks more like an insect's leg stuck on the lens

clean your lens cap

WinterMadness
December 12th, 2010, 05:48 AM
its theoretically possible to travel faster than the speed of light using negative energy

apparently you can literally destroy a section of space in front of a ship, and rebuild it in the back of the ship. this would move you along space, actually it would be more like you moving space without disrupting anything

rg4w
December 12th, 2010, 06:04 AM
Considering that no one actually has physical evidence of traveling at light speed, I'd argue that it's more a of a theory than a law. We won't truly know until we attempt it.
Once upon a time it was considered common knowledge that no aircraft could break the sound barrier without shattering into pieces....

MisterGaribaldi
December 12th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Just make sure you have your Nike Windrunners on and be ready to go!

wilee-nilee
December 12th, 2010, 07:07 AM
just make sure you have your nike windrunners on and be ready to go!

handy
December 12th, 2010, 07:37 AM
To me it look like an image manipulation to look like a spaceship. On closer it hardly look like any space ship but some obscure obscene object.

I didn't think it was obscure at all.

It looks like a space ship from the blue planet Dildoranus, where the notorious Dildoraniuns come from.

So it looks like that in 2012 we'll all be ...ked blue, just like the Mayans always knew we would. No wonder they cleared out!

HermanAB
December 12th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Oh don't worry, it is just the guys from Area 51 on training maneuvers with their Roswell space ship.

Paqman
December 12th, 2010, 09:41 AM

Not so, the relativistic effects that prohibit faster than light travel have been confirmed by measurement. Just because the effect of them at lower speeds is smaller, doesn't mean they can't be measured. Relativistic effects have to be taken into account for a lot of modern technology (such as GPS) to work properly.

its theoretically possible to travel faster than the speed of light using negative energy

apparently you can literally destroy a section of space in front of a ship, and rebuild it in the back of the ship. this would move you along space, actually it would be more like you moving space without disrupting anything

You're talking about an Alcubierre drive. It's a cool idea, but there's a couple of biiiiig problems with it:

Creating a wave in spacetime large enough for a reasonable-size vehicle to ride would take more energy than the mass of the entire universe. Obviously this is not practical.
We have no idea how one would create negative energy, or even if such a thing is remotely possible. You need to somehow magic up something that we don't know exists, don't know how to make, and have no idea how to control. Hmm.

Gremlinzzz
December 12th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Gravity is what slows everything down so we need a anti Gravity device to travel as fast or faster than the speed of light.

Paqman
December 12th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Gravity is what slows everything down so we need a anti Gravity device to travel as fast or faster than the speed of light.

Well, it's more the mass that is the problem. As your speed increases, so does your mass, meaning it takes more energy to accelerate further. As you approach the speed of light the amount of energy it takes to get any more acceleration approaches infinity.

If we could find what gives matter mass and beat that then maybe you're half way to solving the problem. I suspect not though, there are massless particles IIRC, and they still don't travel at supralight speeds.

We've already got machines that can bridge interstellar distances though. They're called radio transmitters. Why reinvent the wheel?

NCLI
December 12th, 2010, 01:40 PM
We don't need to move faster than the speed of light, we aliens just launch ships at around 95% of the speed of light. The time dilation means the trip takes mere weeks or months for the crew. Also, for those below who think that the speed of light can be broken in realspace; and we don't know because we haven't reached it, we know because of science. I refer you to this xkcd:http://xkcd.com/54/
if that doesn't work, look at this:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_light
There's nothing that says you can't travel faster than light practically (e.g. through a wormhole or warp drive), just not physically e.g. through endlessly accelerating a rocket. And assuming speeds near the speed of light can be reached, manned ships would still want to go near that to take advantage of time dilation for interstellar journeys.
What I meant was that in order for that "ship" to be any real threat to us, and reach us anytime soon, they would have to be moving faster than the speed of life. Since they would also have to be moving in real space in order for us to see it, it can't be moving faster than the speed of light, and therefore cannot be a threat to us.

Gremlinzzz
December 12th, 2010, 01:57 PM
The bluish we see made be a effect of them moving at the speed or close to the speed of light.After all no one has seen any thing to compare except light which we see!

NCLI
December 12th, 2010, 02:17 PM
The bluish we see made be a effect of them moving at the speed or close to the speed of light.After all no one has seen any thing to compare except light which we see!
Close to the speed of light, sure, but they still wouldn't reach us for many, many years.

Anyway, this is a hoax.

Paqman
December 12th, 2010, 02:26 PM

Well, anything moving towards us will have it's light shifted towards the blue end of the spectrum, but without breaking out the maths I suspect anything moving that quickly would have been shifted way up past the visible light range.

However, blue blob does not equal alien spacecraft. It's just a blue blob.

Gremlinzzz
December 12th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Well, anything moving towards us will have it's light shifted towards the blue end of the spectrum, but without breaking out the maths I suspect anything moving that quickly would have been shifted way up past the visible light range.

However, blue blob does not equal alien spacecraft. It's just a blue blob.

I was thinking that what were seeing isn't the ship but the effects of a solid object moving at the speed of light thought space.

Paqman
December 12th, 2010, 02:41 PM
I was thinking that what were seeing isn't the ship but the effects of a solid object moving at the speed of light thought space.

I'm guessing what you're seeing is some artefact of the telescope or image processing done on that pic. If it was anything genuinely interesting it would have been confirmed by a second telescope making the same observation.

What i'd expect to see if something were approaching at close to light speed would be an image of that thing, but shifted way up into the bluer end of the spectrum. That would mean ultraviolet, X-rays or gamma rays, depending on how fast it was going. We've got some really powerful telescopes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Observatories) in those frequencies in orbit now, so we'd be able to get a good look at it before it got here.

Shining Arcanine
December 12th, 2010, 06:04 PM

If you are moving faster than the speed of light, then you cannot slow down. It is impossible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachyon

It is possible in any galaxy provided that you are made out of tachyons.

Traveling at the speed of light is impossible if you have mass. It is like jumping off a bridge thinking that you can fly like superman. A person flying like superman has never been observed, but attempting to do it on the basis that you will never know if you do not try is foolish.

What I meant was that in order for that "ship" to be any real threat to us, and reach us anytime soon, they would have to be moving faster than the speed of life. Since they would also have to be moving in real space in order for us to see it, it can't be moving faster than the speed of light, and therefore cannot be a threat to us.

I do not recall seeing any statement of how far away it is. Assuming that the photo was not photoshopped, what basis do you have to say that it is too far away?

Mr. Picklesworth
December 12th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Why would they be heading for us (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Earth&oldid=385730857), anyway? They're probably going to a great party somewhere.

cpmman
December 12th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Why would they be heading for us (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Earth&oldid=385730857), anyway? They're probably going to a great party somewhere.

What could possibly be more amusing than to watch the experiment on earth-beings by mice?

madhi19
December 12th, 2010, 08:18 PM
It THE BORG!!!! It been nice knowing you all folks!

cgroza
December 12th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Anyway, do you really think that life could survive at light speeds?

cgroza
December 12th, 2010, 08:42 PM
You mean "in this universe." It is true that it currently seems impossible, but so did accelerating particles to 299.999 km/s 100 years ago.

Hehe, whats left? 1km/h? That is what stopping the scientists? 1km/h?

Daniel0108
December 12th, 2010, 08:46 PM
The aliens are coming to kill ******* xD
:PP
No, I think this is just a lens flare or something on the lens. This is a fake, like the "Google Streetview photographed god" picture...
xD

wilee-nilee
December 12th, 2010, 08:46 PM

You have a great point here, because we think we are so special here on earth this is where the party is. We think therefore we are, problem is it is our own puny little minds thinking.

@handy Lol that is funny.:popcorn:

forrestcupp
December 12th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Moving faster than the speed of light is impossible because there is a law that forbids it at least in this galaxy!There's a law that forbids me to pee on the sidewalk. That doesn't mean I'm not going to do it. ;)

It is not possible to move faster than the speed of light (or with the speed of light, since anything with rest mass would require infinite energy to accelerate), however, there are stars and galaxies that move away from us faster than the speed of light because the space and contract and expand faster than light. You can theoretically get from point A to point B faster than what it would take the light (contract space, move a short distance, reset space), but it is unclear if this is even possible in any practical way.Wormholes work pretty good, too.

cgroza
December 12th, 2010, 08:54 PM
You have a great point here, because we think we are so special here on earth this is where the party is. We think therefore we are, problem is it is our own puny little minds thinking.

@handy Lol that is funny.:popcorn:
You mean your puny little mind...:lolflag:
Just joking... Could not help it!

Shining Arcanine
December 12th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Anyway, do you really think that life could survive at light speeds?

There is nothing to say that it cannot.

ChuckyDuckster
December 12th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Aliens probably have cloaking devices, so we wouldn't be able to see them. This looks like an asteroid, or something on the lens

Decatf
December 12th, 2010, 09:58 PM

If that's the case we will all be getting to know a lot more of each other very soon.

jshepherd
December 12th, 2010, 10:49 PM
Travelling at the speed of light is impossible? Conventional wisdom my friends. Not heard of wormholes? Rosen bridges? Bending space in order to travel vast distances?
I have to say I wouldn't want to be the 1st person to try out such theories.

On the subject of space ships coming for us, if you believe what various commentators on the subject have to say then there are several races fighting over us, some are benevolent whilst others are malevolent.

Discuss.

Gremlinzzz
December 13th, 2010, 01:41 AM
Travelling at the speed of light is possible cause light does it.The other thing is it would leave a warp trail of some kind most likely a bluish because of the heat created by solid object moving that fast.:D
update there's more news
http://www.spaceweather.com/
SPIRAL ASTEROID: On Dec. 12th, the International Astronomical Union issued a telegram (CBET nr.2583) announcing the discovery of a spiral structure around main belt asteroid (596) Scheila. Steve Larson of the Catalina Sky Survey (CSS) found the curious shape in images obtained Dec. 11th through the Catalina 0.68-m Schmidt telescope. Other observers have since confirmed the phenomenon. The following picture was taken on Dec. 12th by Italian astronomers Ernesto Guido and Giovanni Sostero using a remotely-controlled 0.25m telescope in New Mexico
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=178293&stc=1&d=1292203558

madhi19
December 13th, 2010, 02:19 AM
If that's the case we will all be getting to know a lot more of each other very soon.

Death before Assimilation!!!!
But we don't have to worry about the Borg assimilating earth! They just scan us from orbit and decide that to add our "Windows" distinctiveness to their own will totally crash their system! Bloatware and crapware will save humanity one day!!! lolll

Paqman
December 15th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Travelling at the speed of light is impossible? Conventional wisdom my friends. Not heard of wormholes? Rosen bridges? Bending space in order to travel vast distances?

None of which involves travelling faster than light. They involve shrinking the distances, not increasing the speed.

MisterGaribaldi
December 15th, 2010, 05:08 PM

As long as Seven of Nine is on board handling the assimilations, it's alright by me!

dmizer
December 15th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Clicking on the previous topic link in that article leads to a similar article on the same topic, where the alleged source is a Craig Kasnov.
Googling that name brings up http://paranormalutopia.com/2010/12/craig-kasnov010/ which link to http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message1283626/pg1 where one might find especially the fifth post interesting.

The OP's question has been answered above. Since the thread has gone off course, I'm closing this as solved.

Thank you.