PDA

View Full Version : Yay, I spread Ubuntu!

zerhacke
April 22nd, 2006, 08:06 PM
A little background information is in order so that I can tell this story.

I'm disabled. I have schizoaffective disorder, which is much like being a bipolar schizophrenic. Before you think I'm all nuts, I'm pretty well medicated and respond well to the treatments offered. I'm almost normal.

In the US, there's a government agency called the Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation. They work with disabled people, trying to get them jobs. If the person needs anything special to work, they provide it. There's a lot of hoops to jump through to get the help though.

Now, I want to be a *Nix Systems Administrator. One of the hoops I had to jump through was to go take a test on what I knew computerwise with this agency in town.

So, I went to the agency. I brought one of the Ubuntu sleeves that Canonical kindly sent me in the mail. Didn't know if I would need it, since I had no idea what the test was going to be on. I figured it would be better safe than sorry.

So I get there, and the short and long of the test was that they couldn't test me. They had no Unix boxes set up. So, I gave the guy the Ubuntu CD. At first he didn't even know what it was, but after some explaining he understood. Turns out they used to teach Red Hat 9 at this little agency but dropped it a few years back due to lack of interest in it. When I left he grasped that Ubuntu was a Linux distro like Red Hat is.

I got a call about twenty minutes ago. The tester guy LOVES Ubuntu and is in love with the apt-get system.

Since they couldn't test me the other day, I have to go back in to be tested after he can get a *Nix system setup. He'll be testing me on Ubuntu, and at the same time he'd like me to teach him the nuances of the system.

I'm not the best guy at Ubuntu as my posting history can attest. However, I have the secret weapon in this - I get internet access while I test and teach, so I'll be able to come here during the big ordeal. :)

Happy Ubuntuing! And spread the message people!

YourSurrogateGod
April 22nd, 2006, 08:09 PM
You sir deserve a beer.

No offense intended, but when someone with your disabilities manages to install Ubuntu and work with it, those that don't have such problems have few excuses.

mostwanted
April 22nd, 2006, 08:12 PM
That was a good read. Thank you for sharing and good job on converting that guy. I've tried passing around some Ubuntu CDs, but I haven't had luck yet.

ubuntu27
April 22nd, 2006, 08:21 PM

I'm disabled. I have schizoaffective disorder, which is much like being a bipolar schizophrenic. Before you think I'm all nuts, I'm pretty well medicated and respond well to the treatments offered. I'm almost normal.

In the US, there's a government agency called the Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation. They work with disabled people, trying to get them jobs. If the person needs anything special to work, they provide it. There's a lot of hoops to jump through to get the help though.

Now, I want to be a *Nix Systems Administrator. One of the hoops I had to jump through was to go take a test on what I knew computerwise with this agency in town.

So, I went to the agency. I brought one of the Ubuntu sleeves that Canonical kindly sent me in the mail. Didn't know if I would need it, since I had no idea what the test was going to be on. I figured it would be better safe than sorry.

So I get there, and the short and long of the test was that they couldn't test me. They had no Unix boxes set up. So, I gave the guy the Ubuntu CD. At first he didn't even know what it was, but after some explaining he understood. Turns out they used to teach Red Hat 9 at this little agency but dropped it a few years back due to lack of interest in it. When I left he grasped that Ubuntu was a Linux distro like Red Hat is.

I got a call about twenty minutes ago. The tester guy LOVES Ubuntu and is in love with the apt-get system.

Since they couldn't test me the other day, I have to go back in to be tested after he can get a *Nix system setup. He'll be testing me on Ubuntu, and at the same time he'd like me to teach him the nuances of the system.

I'm not the best guy at Ubuntu as my posting history can attest. However, I have the secret weapon in this - I get internet access while I test and teach, so I'll be able to come here during the big ordeal. :)

Good Job zerhacke!! That's the most sweetest story ever!!

ANd like "YourSurrogateGod" said, now we who don't have any physical problems have no excuse to trying out GNU/Linux :)

Mathias-K
April 22nd, 2006, 09:03 PM

What a nice story.

In my high school computer science class, i used a Kororaa Xgl LiveCD to attract a couple of Windows using Firefox spreaders (the average geek) and Kubuntu Breezy's mix of KDE bling, Adept, AmaroK and Katapult to get them installing it. Last time we had class some other students complained about slowdowns of the net as we were sitting some guys dist-upgrading to get the newest Dapper :)

zerhacke
April 22nd, 2006, 09:20 PM
I don't really see my illness as a problem anymore. Now, back about two years ago before I was officially diagnosed and medicated, yeah, I had problems. I've got some scars that will never go away from some of my adventures.

Like I said, I'm more or less normal now, if you discount constantly hearing classical music and occasionally seeing rats running around. Minor hallucinations aside, I'm pretty much like you guys.

iAlta
April 22nd, 2006, 09:28 PM
Nice written, I've been trying spredding Ubuntu too. Mostly Edubuntu to my teachers...

What a nice story.

In my high school computer science class, i used a Kororaa Xgl LiveCD to attract a couple of Windows using Firefox spreaders (the average geek) and Kubuntu Breezy's mix of KDE bling, Adept, AmaroK and Katapult to get them installing it. Last time we had class some other students complained about slowdowns of the net as we were sitting some guys dist-upgrading to get the newest Dapper :)
Why do get to have computer sience in HSchool?:(

enopepsoo
April 23rd, 2006, 01:14 AM
Sounds like you've probably got the job if he is calling you back to thank you for your advice!

I spread Ubuntu to my father, who is a humanist and opposed to corporate anything. He recieved a bunch of CDs in the mail and is distributing them to his hippie friends.

3rdalbum
April 23rd, 2006, 06:01 AM
People who are even slightly hippie are very receptive to Linux. I managed to get my father interested in Ubuntu, and he's thinking of ways he could use it.

Apart from him though, I haven't managed to spread Linux. So I wish you good luck for your test, and congratulations for getting a convert!

vayu
April 23rd, 2006, 08:04 AM
Like I said, I'm more or less normal now, if you discount constantly hearing classical music and occasionally seeing rats running around. Minor hallucinations aside, I'm pretty much like you guys.

Wait, are you saying that everyone else doesn't hear this music or see these rats?

zerhacke
April 23rd, 2006, 03:59 PM
Wait, are you saying that everyone else doesn't hear this music or see these rats?
Well, it's either that or my doctor really likes to mess with me.

Mathias-K
April 23rd, 2006, 06:45 PM
Nice written, I've been trying spredding Ubuntu too. Mostly Edubuntu to my teachers...

Why do get to have computer sience in HSchool?:(

It's C level only. We are working in Visual Basic 6.0 - i could imagine no program better at scaring people away from studying programming, just try to include sounds and videos in it!