PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Lucid to Maverick using ssh; lost connection halfway through

sylae
December 12th, 2010, 12:09 AM
Okay, so I was upgrading Ubuntu to 10.10 via ssh. I did the do-release-upgrade and it told me doing it via ssh was a bad idea and it'd open another sshd on port 1022. I said okay and went on with the upgrade. It downloaded fine and started upgrading. It looked like it was doing fine, so I went away for a bit. When I came back about an hour later, my ssh client said it had lost the connection. Stupid wireless adapter on the client machine had decided to turn off.

So I reopened my ssh client and reconnected. Connected fine, so I figured I'd just use apt-get to upgrade. It gave me the following:

$sudo apt-get upgrade
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?
This leads me to assume that somewhere in Ubuntu there was an sshd session sitting waiting for me to do some configuration thing for the upgrade to continue. Anywho, I have no idea how to get to this session. Is there some way to do that? Should I just restart the machine being upgraded? Is anything going to be broken?

papenpj
January 23rd, 2011, 07:07 PM
Did you ever get this figured out? I was trying to upgrade my server from 8.04 to 10.4 and got the timeout. I can reconnect on the port I was using, and the one the upgrade created but I don't know how to the window I was using to finish the upgrade.

sudo do-release-upgrade

just tells me

"Unable to get exclusive lock

This usually means that another package management application (like
apt-get or aptitude) already running. Please close that application
first."