PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 10.10 installation hangs on 5 dots screen

WikiLeaks
December 11th, 2010, 10:46 PM
I am trying to install Ubuntu 10.10 in a relatively old system, but installation hangs on 5 dots screen. My DVD drive LED keeps on while HDD LED goes off. I have tried various options like acpi=off, noapic, nolapic, i915.modeset=1 etc without any luck. Following are my system specifications.

Dell Dimension 3000 Series
CPU: Intel Pentium 4, 3 GHz
RAM: 1 GB
HDD: ST3160021A
DVD: ASUS DVD-E616A
Graphics Controller: Intel 82865G
Network Adapter: TP-LINK 802.11b/g Wireless Adapter

I even tried Ubuntu 10.10 alternate disk, I was able to install successfully through it but system kept on hanging randomly after boot-up.

ajgreeny
December 11th, 2010, 11:19 PM
What about the nomodeset boot option? That may do it.

WikiLeaks
December 12th, 2010, 06:42 PM
What about the nomodeset boot option? That may do it.

Same result, no luck. I am not sure how I can track the real cause of this problem. Can anyone guide my how I can track this problem?

kansasnoob
December 12th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Is there an existing OS on it?

If so does it still run?

Do you have access to any other Live OS discs?

Give us some history please, and what do you have available.

Also, to be sure it's not a defective CD/DVD drive, do you have a spare flash drive?

kansasnoob
December 12th, 2010, 07:22 PM
BTW, very bad choice for a username! I do a bit of political blogging and wikileaks is bad news right now!

Rubi1200
December 12th, 2010, 07:43 PM
If Ubuntu is installed, you need to use the i915.modeset parameter at boot.

Press "e" to highlight the entry in GRUB then navigate with the cursor to the line that ends with quiet splash.

Remove quiet splash and type i915.modeset=1 followed by "Ctrl" + "x" to boot.

This also provides more information:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Bugs/Mavericki8xxStatus

WikiLeaks
December 21st, 2010, 05:53 AM
Is there an existing OS on it?

If so does it still run?

Do you have access to any other Live OS discs?

Give us some history please, and what do you have available.

Also, to be sure it's not a defective CD/DVD drive, do you have a spare flash drive?

Yes, I have Windows XP installed on this machine and it runs fine. I also tried Ubuntu 9.04 with same result. I also tried alternate CD for 10.10, I was able to install the OS successfully, once I log into to Ubuntu desktop, machine kept on hanging often so I un-installed it. I have also tried the USB disk option with 10.10 with same result. Recently I tried Fedora 10 (in an attempt to try some other Linux flavor) but it also hangs during installation.

WikiLeaks
December 21st, 2010, 05:57 AM
BTW, very bad choice for a username! I do a bit of political blogging and wikileaks is bad news right now!

Agreed, but you know there are three reasons. First I am from Pakistan, second my name is Waqar (Wiki goes to Waqar), third it is eye catching now a days ;). Three good reasons.

WikiLeaks
December 21st, 2010, 06:02 AM
If Ubuntu is installed, you need to use the i915.modeset parameter at boot.

Press "e" to highlight the entry in GRUB then navigate with the cursor to the line that ends with quiet splash.

Remove quiet splash and type i915.modeset=1 followed by "Ctrl" + "x" to boot.

This also provides more information:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Bugs/Mavericki8xxStatus

Yeah, I read it somewhere earlier but I did not removed "quiet splash" while adding the i915.modeset at that time. Secondly it was recommended to try either i915.modeset=1 or i915.modeset=0. Can you please tell me what's the difference in both?.

nathatanu0
January 11th, 2012, 03:51 AM
do just one thing, reboot the system, and when the violate screen just appear, that is before the appearance of dots, press "esc" and then the menu will appear, choos the options... Now everything will be fine