PDA

View Full Version : Netbook 10.10 doesn't boot up

illingd
December 11th, 2010, 05:36 PM
I just downloaded Ubuntu Netbook 10.10 and created a boot usb stick.

My netbook runs ok from the stick (i.e. "Live CD" mode) and all seemed OK, so I went for an installation.

The install process appeared to complete ok, but when I restart the machine without the usb stick nothing happens - after inputting my power-on password, nothing at all: no disk activity or anything, just blank screen.

The netbook is an Acer Aspire One, the solid-state disk version, no hard-disk (110Ab ZG5)

I previously had the EasyPeasy implementation of Ubuntu NBR 10.04 running without problem (and NBR Karmic before that)

How do I begin to trouble-shoot this?

illingd
December 11th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Problem solved!

I tried re-installing after removing the additional SD card that I have as storage expansion (/dev/mmcblk0), and hey presto! it works.

I conclude that the install process must've installed the grub boot stuff on that disk instead of the main SSD. (And yes, I definitely did the original installation to the /dev/sda1 partition and not to the expansion disk - my data is still intact on that disk.)

Quackers
December 11th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Yes, I think that has happened with cards plugged in before.

fonsi2099
March 13th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Thanks this worked for me:
Problem solved!
I tried re-installing after removing the additional SD card that I have as storage expansion (/dev/mmcblk0), and hey presto! it works.
I conclude that the install process must've installed the grub boot stuff on that disk instead of the main SSD. (And yes, I definitely did the original installation to the /dev/sda1 partition and not to the expansion disk - my data is still intact on that disk.)
):P