PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Choosing 10.04 LTS or 10.10 and when to upgrade them

slipknott
December 11th, 2010, 05:55 AM
It's been a while since i've posted in here but i've got a question i'd like to get some opinions on. If I am building a new machine, should I install 10.04 LTS, or 10.10 now that it's out. And also, after installations should I just keep doing just updates over time, or upgrades to newer versions also. I have been using Linux on and off for over a year now, but I work primarily in a windows environments which comes out with new versions every 4ish years and service packs in between. Should I be treating non LTS editions like windows service packs? Will I be losing anything that important by picking an OS version and sticking with it until the next major release comes out instead of upgrading in place instead. My main concern is stability and security, so hopefully it would be better to pick something like 10.04 and just keep updating it until 12.04 comes out instead of upgradng inbetween those two also. Thanks! Any thoughts?

Slip

This also looked like the right forum to post this in, so forgive me if it is not.

garvinrick4
December 11th, 2010, 07:01 AM
Take a chunk out of your drive and make it a Extended partition and then make a
10 gig piece for / (operating system) the as big as you want for /home and then with
what is left over you can leave alone and then everytime you want to look at a new operating system
in Linux make another 10 gig partition as a logical and use. So what
does it take 10 gig a partition for / and 40 gig home and maybe 20 gig as NTFS for using in both Linux and Windows.
So you can have 4 linux systems and a 40 /home and a 20 /data NTFS. 100 gig extended to house all these logicals.
Is just a small piece of drive nowadays and you can test all the linux you want. So really no reason to choose,have em all.

sikander3786
December 11th, 2010, 07:38 AM
should I install 10.04 LTS, or 10.10 now that it's out

Test both from a Live CD. Install the one that works better on your hardware.

should I just keep doing just updates over time, or upgrades to newer versions also.

Regular updates should be installed as soon as they are available. To be honest, a few times they do break something (very rare) but at least security updates should be installed as soon as they are available.

Regarding version upgrades, it is all your choice. 10.04 will be supported for next 3 years and 10.10 for 18 months. You are not in a hurry.

Should I be treating non LTS editions like windows service packs?

No. If you want an example of service pack in Ubuntu, 10.04 got a service pack and is named 10.04.1. Another is scheduled to come next year (Feb?). Non LTS release is always a new release with different version software, some graphical changes etc.

As you said, for production machines, it is just better to use an LTS release until the next LTS is out and then upgrade LTS to LTS ;-)