PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] [grub] error: out of disk

kirschre911
December 11th, 2010, 05:34 AM
Hi all
Trying to do a new install of ubuntu 10.10 to my laptop. Installation and all works fine, but upon rebooting, after the bios screen i get:

error: out of disk.
grub rescue>I tried using following some instructions i found after googling for the problem:

ls (displays the partitions and devices Grub can see)
set prefix=(hdX,Y)/boot/grub
set root=(hdX,Y)
set (shows Grub's environment; inspect the prefix= listing; make sure it matches what you set in step 3)
ls /boot/ (should show the contents of your system's /boot -- kernels, initrd images, the grub folder, etc)
insmod /boot/grub/linux.mod
linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sdXY ro
initrd /initrd.img
boot

but after the 5th step, i get another "error: out of disk" message.
The odd thing is that I had an install of 10.10 on this laptop a month ago, and it worked fine. As a side note, I installed fedora 14 after this happened, which worked fine. Reinstalled ubuntu, and it was back to the same problem. I also tried installing with a kubuntu cd I had, to make sure it wasnt the install media, and had the same problem. I'd appreciate it if anyone could help me out.

oldfred
December 11th, 2010, 05:58 AM
Can you post your actual drive,partitions that ls found not the X,Y?

Grub Rescue Prompt Megathread - drs305
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1594052

This will also give lots of detail to help fix your system.
Boot Info Script courtesy of forum member meierfra
Page with instructions and download:
http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/
Paste results.txt, then highlight entire file and click on # in edit panel(code tags) to make it easier to read.
Or You can generate the tags first by pressing the # icon in the post's menu and then paste the contents between the generated [ code] paste here [ /code] tags.

kirschre911
December 11th, 2010, 06:49 AM
I think i fixed the problem... I created a new partition table on the drive and manually set up partitions for a clean install, and everything appears to work right now. I don't know what could have been the problem before, as I just used the default use the entire disk settings, but im glad its working now.
cheers for the help and quick reply tho :)