PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] error message meaning

elektra
December 10th, 2010, 11:40 PM
Hey Guys,

I'm working on a friend's Samsung R530, Intel Core i3 3330M (T430) processor. It had Windows 7 installed, which crashed so I'm trying to recover the files before installing Ubuntu (the recovery partition is gone, there was no facility for making recovery disks and Samsung won't send any out). I put in the Live CD for 10.04 which took ages to load and then gave me the following error message:

udevd (90): worker (181) unexpectedly returned with status 0x0100
udevd (90): worker [180] failed while handling '/devices/pci 0000:00/0000:00:00:00'

which was repeated for [182] and [230]

then it all went blank for ages then I got a message saying please eject the cd and press enter, just like you do at the end of an install. However, I didn't get an option on whether to boot from the cd or install ubuntu.

anyone got any clue what the error message means?

and am I correct in thinking that the cd tried to install ubuntu?

I've tried 3 different live cds, all of which have previously worked on other machines so I'm pretty sure it's not a cd issue. But I can't get a single one of them to boot from cd and all throw up the same error messages, except the 9.04 cd, which just hangs. Have also tried a USB live image and got a disk error message.

When I try booting from the HDD I get OS not found, boot from cd. Which is not entirely unexpected because of the previous problem with windows but it also seems that Ubuntu hasn't actually installed, or if it has then there's been a problem and it hasn't done it properly.

Update:

ok, no idea how but I've managed to get a live cd booted. However, I can't find the windows system, which I'm guessing means that any files that were there are now inaccessible. Does anyone know of a way of checking for sure whether all the files are completely gone, and whether there's a way of accessing them if they are there?

pricetech
December 11th, 2010, 12:58 AM
Does the BIOS find the drive like it should ??

It really sounds like you may have a bad hard drive. Can you see the drive at all from the Live CD ??

virus.one
January 20th, 2012, 08:52 AM
i have the same problem with the thread starter. the difference is i have an XP SP3 on the hard drive and i want to dual boot it.
can you help me?

Sorry for my bad english.:)