PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Network Manager auto starts all interfaces

emunson
December 10th, 2010, 06:47 PM
I have been using WICD because of this problem but my company has started using a Cisco VPN and I'd like to integrate the VPN front end with my network management tool. My problem is that NetworkManager always brings up the wireless interface on my laptop, even when wired is available. There is no obvious method to configure this behaviour without manually disabling wireless when I plug in. Is this possible currently?

iponeverything
December 10th, 2010, 07:01 PM
I right click on nm go and to "edit connections" -> "wireless" I then choose the wireless network and un-check the "connect automatically" box.

I do think it would be nice if there was more fine grained control nm behavior, but it's not that big a deal to me..

emunson
December 16th, 2010, 08:17 PM
It is really unfortunate if that is the best control option we have. nm should be able to handle only starting a preferred interface when available and falling back otherwise.

grahammechanical
December 17th, 2010, 12:38 AM
May I quote from the network manager documentation?

Network Manager aims for Network Connectivity which "Just Works". The computer should use the wired network connection when it's plugged in, but automatically switch to a wireless connection when the user unplugs it and walks away from the desk. Likewise, when the user plugs the computer back in, the computer should switch back to the wired connection. The user should, most times, not even notice that their connection has been managed for them; they should simply see uninterrupted network connectivity.

Regards.

emunson
December 17th, 2010, 10:50 PM
If it actually did that, that would be great. WICD would not bring the wireless up until necessary. Also, when I remove the wire and the wireless was brought up I have to disconnect and reconnect to get the routes right. It isn't a feature to bring up both interfaces, it is a bug.