PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Firefox not loading properly, Again

justamel
December 10th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Way back in April/2010 I posted regarding this problem.

Firefox starts to load, the window appears, but then hard drive keeps running for ever and ONLY thing that can be done is to click on Close Window, which will stop hard drive and get back to the desktop.

Suggestion posted to Delete ".mozilla/firefox" folder from my home directory worked initially,but the problem reappeared some time ago.

Other applications in Ubuntu seem to work OK.

Any ideas on how to correct this problem permanently - other than going to a different O.S.??

Right now I am using Knoppix Live to post here :-)

sr14
December 10th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Try installing Chromium, why not ?

tommcd
December 10th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Suggestion posted to Delete ".mozilla/firefox" folder from my home directory worked initially,but the problem reappeared some time ago.
Any ideas on how to correct this problem permanently - other than going to a different O.S.??

Have you tried deleting the .mozilla directory in your home directory again to see if it fixes the problem this time?
If deleting .mozilla or creating a new profile for Firefox fixes the problem, then there must be something corrupting your profile that is causing this.
How many addons do you have in Firefox? Perhaps there is a rogue addon that is causing this.

justamel
December 13th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Have now deleted the .mozilla/firefox folder again and the browser loads and works (using it right now). Not sure about a "new profile" in Firefox; is this a new user on the system??

Haven't added anything to Firefox or the system, except codec to display Windows Media files.

The Firefox Version is: Ver. 3.0 beta 5. Could this be the source of the problem??

I just installed Crunchbang on this same computer and it uses Firefox Ver. 3.0.11..

I do not want to upgrade Firefox online because I have a SLOW dialup connection and also limited online time. I would think it would take quite awhile to do an ugrade.

Maybe the simplest is to just "go over to the Crunchbang Side" :-))

tommcd
December 14th, 2010, 12:57 AM
The Firefox Version is: Ver. 3.0 beta 5. Could this be the source of the problem??

What version of Ubuntu are you using? Ubuntu 10.10 (the current version) is using Firefox 3.6.13.

justamel
December 20th, 2010, 10:06 PM
I posted before about this problem with Firefox and the same question came up then: What version of Firefox and then as well What version of Ubuntu??

Well, to answer the questions: Firefox Ver. 3.0 beta 5, and Ubuntu 8.04.. I started into Ubuntu by buying the "official" Ubuntu book and these are the versions which were on the included CD/DVD.

Now I appreciate that operating systems and applications are always being "improved" and that it is now accepted practice to upgrade on a regular basis, BUT not everyone has a highspeed connection to the Internet. Believe it or not some of us still have "old fashioned" Dialup connections and the speed is never even the theoretical 56K!!!

It is therefore not my priority to "upgrade" things just to keep pace. I see no good reason for a commercially published book to have included versions of applications which will not work correctly even from the start. I am certainly NOT going to use up hours of my limited connection time to upgrade things on the chance that a problem will be corrected.

As far as I am concerned at this point, it is a better choice to find another Linux Distro. that will work with the hardware that I have, and that is another thing with which I do not agree: never ending upgrading and replacing of perfectly functional computers!!

As of this moment the Firefox browser IS working, but we'll see how long that is the case.

And that is my statement on this subject. Do appreciate the help that has been offered now and in the past.

ttfn.

Putnam11
December 20th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Since that book was published, and 8.04 for that matter, there have been MANY major changes and bugfixes that it actually IS worth upgrading for. If you don't want to spend pretty much forever downloading 10.10, I highly recommend updating your Firefox to 3.6. 3.0 was the newest in 2008, and in the past two years Firefox has gone through changes and bugfixes. Since I see you are using Dialup I would actually recommend you use Chromium or any other webkit browsers. They are a lot faster and I think you'll see a difference. I've also noticed that Flash content and different codecs work better out of the box in Chromium than in Firefox.

I also assure you that upgrading from Firefox 3.0 beta 5 to Firefox 3.6.13 will fix your problem.