PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Sony Vaio VPC-F13Z1E/B issues

elvisd
December 10th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Hi all,

I'm trying to install ubuntu 10.10 on the notebook (Sony Vaio VPC-F13Z1E/Z).
I start from the live CD and the session starts, with a low resolution but starts.
i install ubuntu (selecting update from web during installation) and after a while everything's done. restart.

the PC boots (with a ugly startup graphic) but instead of the graphical login the console mode is displayed.

how can i solve that.
I had the same (unresolved-) problem 2 weeks ago with a toshiba lappie. hope i can solve both. ;)

Thanks for your help,

elvisd

Quackers
December 10th, 2010, 05:11 PM
What does the screen say exactly?

elvisd
December 10th, 2010, 05:13 PM
I can enter user and password and login in console mode... like switch to another console with, i.e. ctrl+alt+F2...

no error messages (apparently)

Quackers
December 10th, 2010, 05:17 PM
After logging in type startx and hit enter. See if the desktop appears.

elvisd
December 10th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Gave me:
(...)
(EE) Failed to load module nvidia (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) No drivers available.
Fatal Server error:
no screens found
(...)

I have edited xorg.conf changing nvidia to vesa and now the graphical desktop is here.
What's next?

Quackers
December 10th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Have you run Additional drivers from the System > Admin menu?

elvisd
December 10th, 2010, 06:06 PM
I have installed nvidia binary drivers (and updated the whole system).
I have restarted and the screen remains purple.

I have started in safe graphic mode, run nvidia-xconfig and restarted but nothing changed, remains purple.

Quackers
December 10th, 2010, 06:10 PM
"I have installed nvidia binary drivers"

where from please?

elvisd
December 10th, 2010, 06:11 PM
from system > admin > additional driver, the recommended version.

Quackers
December 10th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Thanks.
I'm not clear on which screen you are at.
You say it's purple. The default desktop is purple.
Does it say Ubuntu in the middle with white/red dots underneath?
Are there dark brown borders top and bottom?

elvisd
December 10th, 2010, 06:18 PM
thank you for you simple questions.
even if i'm not a newbie it's always better to control twice and even simple things. ;)

during boot i have the purple screen with ubuntu and dots below.

after a while the ubuntu word and dots are removed but the purple background remains (no login request as configured) and thats not the desktop (no wallpaper no panels).
no mouse pointer, i can't even do a ctrl+alt+F2 to change to console mode.
no disk activity, already waited 4-5 minutes but nothing happens.

thank you for patience

Quackers
December 10th, 2010, 06:30 PM
If you hold down the shift key while booting does a black screen with white writing appear?

elvisd
December 10th, 2010, 09:01 PM
what do you mean? at grub loading or OS loading?

Quackers
December 10th, 2010, 09:05 PM
I mean on a cold boot. From off to on hold the shift key down and the grub menu should then appear

elvisd
December 10th, 2010, 09:46 PM
yes i can access the grub menu.

Quackers
December 10th, 2010, 09:54 PM
From the grub menu your Ubuntu installation should be highlighted. If you press the "e" key you should get another screen up. In that screen navigate to the end of the line that says "quiet splash" Remove those words and replace them with "nomodeset" without the quotes, then press ctrl + x to reboot. Does the desktop appear then?

elvisd
December 10th, 2010, 09:58 PM
no... the last message i see is 'checking battery status' then the screen goes black and nothing happens.

everything goes so fast but i don't see any error messages

Quackers
December 10th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Which graphics card do you have in your machine?

elvisd
December 10th, 2010, 10:05 PM
NVIDIAŽ GeForceŽ GT 425M GPU

if i remove nvidia driver then starts ok (but with very low resolution) i think is a nvidia related problem.
how about loading the latest nvidia driver?

Quackers
December 10th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Some people visit the nvidia site and use drivers from there. However, it is normally enough to use the one from Additional Drivers, in my experience.
It may be worth a try, but that has to be your own decision :-)

elvisd
December 10th, 2010, 11:18 PM
found this https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers/+bug/655078
and as stated at #66 i have downgraded to 256.53 and seams working. the fan works to much for my taste... anyway better as working at 800x600

thanks Quackers for support

Quackers
December 11th, 2010, 12:03 AM
No problem at all.
I hope all your problems are short-lived :-)

elvisd
December 15th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Just as follow up:
I've downloaded today's new nvidia driver (260.19.29)and installed it manually and works like a charm.
what i should do is fix non working brightness buttons... but that's not priority for now... ;)

Quackers
December 16th, 2010, 12:25 AM
Nice one :-)
The brightness keys may be a problem. Mine don't work at all.
However if you do a search in Hardware and Laptops section there have been some fixes which have worked for some people.

stevekh3
December 17th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Just as follow up:
I've downloaded today's new nvidia driver (260.19.29)and installed it manually and works like a charm.
what i should do is fix non working brightness buttons... but that's not priority for now... ;)

I have the same notebook, i had the same problems you had, resolved with the 260.19.29, i'm also in the same your condition with the brightness problem.

Also touchpad was not working: solved with this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1565548&highlight=vaio+touch+pad :)

zlatan87
February 15th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Hi! I've Sony Notebook F13Z1E and I've same problem, i've installed Ubuntu on my Laptop and all works Ok except Graphics Card, resolution is only 800x600 and when I try to update graphics drivers the OS not start and it stay on Purple screen blocked, why?? What is correct procedure to make working nvidia drivers??

Help me please!

elvisd
February 15th, 2011, 09:15 PM
You should download and install latest nvidia drivers.
i actually have version 260.19.36 and install it manually.

but before, for the purple screen problem, restart in safe mode and remove nvidia drivers.

hope this helps.

zlatan87
February 15th, 2011, 10:53 PM
You should download and install latest nvidia drivers.
i actually have version 260.19.36 and install it manually.

but before, for the purple screen problem, restart in safe mode and remove nvidia drivers.

hope this helps.

Ok thanks man, i've installed it today from terminal and next i've typed nvidia-xconfig, but unsuccessfully...can you help me to make a new clean driver installation?? I'm newbie for linux using and I don't say if my manually installation was correct!

Ps: if exist a guide that explan right steps to install drivers...

elvisd
February 17th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Hi Zlatan.

On this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1598417
I found a link to this tutorial http://www.gaanza.com/blog/installing-nvidia-driver-on-ubuntu-10-04/

Hope this helps