PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Which file server do I need ??

Mobidoy
December 10th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Hello,

i am setting up a small network for a friend. He has a server which is home at the moment, he would like to access some files that are on it from his computer(s) at work.

I have set up an ssh server so far and tried vsftpd. Problem is that to be able to modify the files, he has to download them to the local computer, do what he need to do on them and then, remember to send the file back on the server.

Is there a better way to do it ?

tredegar
December 10th, 2010, 06:06 PM
If ssh is working, he can just ssh with X-forwarding turned on into his machine and edit the file there. gedit (or nano) is running on the machine at home, but displaying on his local machine

user@work:~$ ssh -X user@home
user@home:~$ gedit /path/to/file
user@home:~$ nano /path/to/file
user@home:~$ exit
logout
Connection to home closed.
user@work:~$

If his server is open to the internet I hope you have secured it with
- a good, properly configured firewall
- no root logins allowed over ssh
- strong password(s)
- and, ideally, only private / public key based ssh logins allowed (not password-based ones, which should be denied).

pricetech
December 10th, 2010, 06:30 PM
He also needs to port forward SSH in his router.

If you need, or want, a full GUI I recommend NX from nomachine dot com. There's a Windows client in case he's on a Windows machine at work. WinSCP is good if he wants to copy files back and forth from a Windows client. Putty, if all he wants is a command line.

He'll need a fixed IP as well, or use a Dynamic DNS service.

I use all of the above at various times with great success.

Have fun.

Mobidoy
December 10th, 2010, 07:43 PM
It is moire than text editing, we are talking about cad files... Till he can have a server at work place, this is how he wants to do it.

Later on, all of it will be moved within his shop.

I suspect it could get slow running cad over ssh X session...