PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No KB +mouse or Monitor when booting

USBLinuxuser
December 10th, 2010, 03:47 PM
I'm booting my Dell Optiplex 760 from the ubuntu 10.10 desktop i386 version. After I tell the PC to boot from the CD I can see the purple ubuntu screen, I press a key to bring up the menu, and no matter what option I select my monitor turns off, and I have no response from my keyboard or mouse (numlock will not turn on, nor do I see any light from my mouse.) The PC has no PS2 ports so all of the connections are USB.

I'd appreciate any help that can be given.

USBLinuxuser
December 10th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Update

After looking through the forums, I have tried different modes by pressing "f6." The only option that I can actually get to work, is the "Test Memory" option. Everything else takes me to a blank screen and disables my keyboard and mouse. Nothing will load. Any thoughts?

ajgreeny
December 10th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Are you certain the CD is good, and the ISO you used to burn it is also not corrupt in any way?

USBLinuxuser
December 10th, 2010, 05:06 PM
I received the iso directly from the ubuntu website.

ajgreeny
December 10th, 2010, 05:14 PM
I received the iso directly from the ubuntu website.
That doesn't mean that the downloaded file was not corrupt, I'm afraid.

The best way to get a file of that kind, and be certain it is OK, is to use a bit-torrent client. Then having got a good ISO make sure you burn it as slow as possible, and don't use the computer whilst burning.

You may be able to check the CD from the menu that should appear after booting, when the third option, I think, is to "Check the install media".

USBLinuxuser
December 10th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Ok, I'll try to torrent a copy and see what happens.