PDA

View Full Version : App Engines: With no Apps

ki4jgt
December 10th, 2010, 12:43 PM
I've always considered the term App to be a SMALL program (or at least one which didn't provide all the bells and whistles). Not an entire 13Mb one which contained everything you could possibly want to do with that particular subject. Several of the app engines I've seen for Windows, Mac and linux are all focused on downloading applications now and simply coining the phrase app to them.

Getting to my point:
I want to develop an app engine, which is strictly based on apps only! No full downloads of Thunderbird and then telling the person they have an app. That's an application not an app.
The problem, I can only program in BASIC in Windows :-) yay!!! If I go into this, would anyone want to help me translate it into other distros? (preferably Python)
I'm thinking like app board (inspiration from sound boards) which is kind of like Firefox, where the user can log onto a website and get apps and add them to their board.

Again I'm defining app as tiny program which does one or two things and not an entire host of needless things. I'm even considering allowing the user to download skins.

I know there are plenty of widget based programs for linux, but they're not Apps. There's something to be said about apps. They're just so snuggled up together in one place. They sort of seem like they belong together.

EDIT: It will all be open sourced of course.

madjr
December 10th, 2010, 02:47 PM
not sure exactly why you want to create an app engine, but any open source project that progresses people will pitch in no problem.

3rdalbum
December 10th, 2010, 02:56 PM
App is short for "Application Program". An Application Program can be as big or small as you want.

What YOU describe as an "App" is more like an "Applet"

ki4jgt
December 10th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Something like this (Sorry, was still in my GUI designer)

EDIT: I know. I just think app sounds so much like a small word, where as program sounds like hey this is something big! :-)

juancarlospaco
December 10th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Python, the answer always is python.

ki4jgt
December 10th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Yes, I know but I don't have a simple little gui designer in Python. All the ones I've seen have been loaded up with so many bells and whistles I don't want to even try and understand any of it. I like BASIC better.

juancarlospaco
December 10th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Yes, I know but I don't have a simple little gui designer in Python. All the ones I've seen have been loaded up with so many bells and whistles I don't want to even try and understand any of it.

The one i use, is almost the same of your pic, its the same with different icons, but Python.

GUI Builder:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/spectcl/files/GUI%20Builder/2.5.20070129/

Choose your OS, Linux i think.

Also see:
web2Py
PyZenity
Python Dialog

ki4jgt
December 10th, 2010, 06:41 PM

juancarlospaco
December 10th, 2010, 06:52 PM

You are welcome.
If need more help with THAT kind of GUI just drop me a line...

Npl
December 10th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Again I'm defining app as tiny program which does one or two things and not an entire host of needless things. I'm even considering allowing the user to download skins.
Cant think of anything more useless than skins :P

ki4jgt
December 10th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Yeah, but I'm developing an application to run apps. That's quite different applications are supposed to have a bunch of useless stuff. Because one day you may need it :-):D:D

madjr
December 10th, 2010, 10:04 PM
i think you may have more luck with what you need by asking in the programmers area of the forum.