PDA

View Full Version : First time RAM buyer need a lil help

razorboy5
December 10th, 2010, 06:18 AM
Hey, sry for posting on cafe but question is not related to Ubuntu
I'm trying to upgrade my comp with a new ATI Radeon x1650 Pro and I thought I may need few more gigs of RAM to take full advantage of it. However it struck me I have NO clue how to buy ram (installing's easy enough) as I've never had to buy any before. My desktop documentation shows

Memory

Architecture

Dual Channel DDR SDRAM

Memory connectors

Four

Memory capacities

128-, 256-, 512-MB or 1-GB

Minimum memory

128-MB DDR SDRAM

NOTE: Between 32 and 64 MB of system memory may be allocated to support graphics, depending on system memory size and other factors.

Maximum memory

4 GB

Memory type

PC2700 (333-MHz) or PC3200 (400-MHz) DDR SDRAM
(non-ECC)

Would I just search for DDR SDRAM and hope it fits? Also what's with DDR, DDR2, DDR3 and does DDR2 or DDR3 fit into the system mentioned above?

Thx community :)

razorboy5
December 10th, 2010, 06:27 AM
Think I kinda understand
I'm supposed to aim for
DDR 330MHZ pc2700 or DDR 400MHZ pc3200 i guess

does this mean I can also buy DDR2 400MHZ pc3200???

also recommend any cheap places for ram?

oldsoundguy
December 10th, 2010, 06:42 AM
You don't have to buy .. but you can get the numbers you need:
http://www.crucial.com/store/drammemory.aspx

cheap = eBay

I buy Kingston .. save a bundle by buying AS IS-UNTESTED. If it does not work, contact Kingston and get brand new FREE with exchange.

cascade9
December 10th, 2010, 06:54 AM
Hey, sry for posting on cafe but question is not related to Ubuntu
I'm trying to upgrade my comp with a new ATI Radeon x1650 Pro and I thought I may need few more gigs of RAM to take full advantage of it. However it struck me I have NO clue how to buy ram (installing's easy enough) as I've never had to buy any before. My desktop documentation shows

Would I just search for DDR SDRAM and hope it fits? Also what's with DDR, DDR2, DDR3 and does DDR2 or DDR3 fit into the system mentioned above?

I dont know if I'd be putting a x1650 into a system now. The ATI dirvers wont work anymore, so you'd ned to use the open source drivers. Not that there is that many problems with the opensource driver, but you wont be gettign anywhere near the 3D performance you would get with the ATI drivers...and if you not going to get what the card was made for, whats the point?

You'd be better of with a supported ATI or nVidia card IMO.

You wont need 'a few more gigs' to make use of the x1650. Maybe for gaming they would come in handy, but for normal, desktop use a RAM upgrade isnt going to help the card at all.

SD DDR slots wont fit DDR2/DDR3 (different RAM sockets, different electrically, etc).

I'd check your motherboard chipset to see how much RAM you can use. Lots of the intel SD DDR chipsets are limited to 1GB/2GB, only 1 of them goes to 4GB (915GL)

razorboy5
December 10th, 2010, 06:59 AM
thx tried crucial only gave me back ddr rams so guess i wont be able to use ddr2 pc3200 400mhz rams.

Was gonna put ATI onto my desktop (still rocking Ubuntu on netbook but still rely on my trusty XP for light gaming) 512mbs of video ram should be plenty for a few years to come I think (probably will need a new processor soon thou)

mips
December 10th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Think I kinda understand
I'm supposed to aim for
DDR 330MHZ pc2700 or DDR 400MHZ pc3200 i guess

does this mean I can also buy DDR2 400MHZ pc3200???

also recommend any cheap places for ram?

No you have to buy DDR (or DDR1) RAM. DDR2 & DDR3 are completely different and won't fit in your RAM slots.

Try places like Newegg, Tiger Direct etc.

I would not get that ATI card, driver support would be an issue. An equivalent nVidia card would be the 7600GS with the 7600GT being better in all respects. These days the 9600GT is cheap and also a nice buy. Anything better than a 9600GT will also do just fine.

http://www.techspot.com/review/24-radeon-x1650pro-vs-geforce-7600gs/
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-gtx,2270.html