PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Synaptic Package Manager Vs. Ubuntu Software Centre

zhaotianwu
December 10th, 2010, 05:48 AM
Hi there, I have a question that has puzzled me all along.
If I want to install a software package, for example, netbeans for Java, it seems that there are two ways to do that, first is through Ubuntu Software Centre, and the second much fancier one is to do it via Synaptic Package Manager. Are there any differences in the end result? Which one is better? Thanks.

sikander3786
December 10th, 2010, 02:22 PM
The end result is the same. Your desired package gets installed :-)

There are some other ways like apt-get and aptitude from command line. If you like some other pacakge manager, you can install that as well.

All those listed are pacakge managers and they install the software. Software Center is Canonicals Ubuntu package manager while Synaptic is considered to be a bit more efficient/stable package manager so it is included in the default install.

Google "apt-get vs synaptic vs software center" and you'll find a wealth of information.

Frogs Hair
December 10th, 2010, 03:26 PM
The Software Center is great to see whats available The Synaptic Package Manger is handy if you ever encounter broken packages , missing dependencies , or want to remove residual packages .