PDA

View Full Version : Google CR48 thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

PuddingKnife
December 10th, 2010, 12:23 AM
First impressions:

Its definitely a lot like the Chrome browser, but with an integrated top panel. That might not be news for some people, but this is the first time I've used ChromeOS. Apps are available in the new Google Apps Marketplace. (makes me glad Canonical changed the title of theirs to 'Software Center')

Im not sure there is a file manager... I havent figured out how to look at /home, but I've only poked around a little bit so far.

It boots in about 10-15 seconds, and the internet is ready to go as soon as you sign in.

That's all I can think of for now, if anyone has any questions ask away :)

Oh, I'll post a couple pics soon too.

earthpigg
December 10th, 2010, 12:25 AM
boot ubuntu from a thumb drive, gander around the filesystem

could we get a sudo lshw and a df -Th and maybe a free -m? :D

inobe
December 10th, 2010, 12:26 AM
when you filled out the info for the pilot program, how long did you wait, also did you receive an email confirmation after ?

wojox
December 10th, 2010, 12:27 AM
What are the specs for the notebook?

PuddingKnife
December 10th, 2010, 12:36 AM
when you filled out the info for the pilot program, how long did you wait, also did you receive an email confirmation after ?

I filled it out on Tuesday, about 20 minutes after the Chrome Facebook page posted the info. So, it was a 2 day wait. I did not receive a confirmation email.

PuddingKnife
December 10th, 2010, 12:38 AM

From laptopspec.net:

a 1.50 GHz Intel Atom N550 processor, a 12.1-inch display, full-size keyboard without function keys and with a search key instead of caps-lock, an oversized trackpad,

Other features include a built-in webcam, Qualcomm Gobi 3G chip, 802.11n dual-band WiFi, flash storage, USB port and VGA output, and a battery life of 8+ hours.

jtcady
December 10th, 2010, 12:38 AM
I filled out one as well the other day. Hopefully I can get one. :)

inobe
December 10th, 2010, 12:40 AM
I filled it out on Tuesday, about 20 minutes after the Chrome Facebook page posted the info. So, it was a 2 day wait. I did not receive a confirmation email.

when i filled out the the info and submitted, it sent me back to the sign up page, did this happen to you.

thanks

btw 2 days is amazing:D

PuddingKnife
December 10th, 2010, 12:41 AM

I dont think I can do that.. there's no BIOS. ??

wojox
December 10th, 2010, 12:45 AM
Cool I filled mine out yesterday so it should be here tomorrow? :D:D:D

I wish and hope.

Here's a test. Try letting or putting it to sleep and see how quick it awakes.

cgroza
December 10th, 2010, 01:02 AM
Is it mandatory to live in USA, because I live in Quebec?

jtcady
December 10th, 2010, 01:04 AM
Is it mandatory to live in USA, because I live in Quebec?

Yes its mandatory.

KingYaba
December 10th, 2010, 01:06 AM
Do these units have hard dives?

jtcady
December 10th, 2010, 01:08 AM
No they do not. All storage comes from "cloud" or flash drive.

inobe
December 10th, 2010, 01:12 AM

let us know about the 3g connection, i think you get 100 megs free data per year.

PuddingKnife
December 10th, 2010, 01:20 AM
let us know about the 3g connection, i think you get 100 megs free data per year.

From the documentation I received:

We've thrown in 100MB of data each month for two years, a limitless day pass for just $9.99, and pay-as-you-go rates that are easy to understand and don't require any long-term contracts.

libssd
December 10th, 2010, 01:21 AM
WIRED review here: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/12/cr-48-chrome-os-first-look/

JustinR
December 10th, 2010, 01:25 AM

I believe dual-booting is disabled on the Chrome netbook.

undecim
December 10th, 2010, 03:07 AM
I believe dual-booting is disabled on the Chrome netbook.

Shouldn't be too difficult to work around.

bwhite82
December 10th, 2010, 03:10 AM
:D

http://www.vwvortex.com/Anthony/Smilies/facepalm.gif

Brent0
December 10th, 2010, 04:01 AM
:D

http://www.vwvortex.com/Anthony/Smilies/facepalm.gif

The one he got would have been your's if you hadn't made that thread. :p
Kidding. Chances are probably the same with or without it.

undecim
December 10th, 2010, 05:32 AM
I wonder if mine will arrive tomorrow XD

Two days really is a spectacular time frame. I'm guessing it didn't take long for them to decide who gets one.

racie
December 10th, 2010, 05:46 AM
Out of curiosity... did you sign up as a developer?

I signed up as an individual so my chances of getting one seem to be pretty low. Meh, I guess I could always fool around with Chromium OS...

PuddingKnife
December 10th, 2010, 05:49 AM
Out of curiosity... did you sign up as a developer?

I signed up as an individual so my chances of getting one seem to be pretty low. Meh, I guess I could always fool around with Chromium OS...

Nope, as an individual.

wilee-nilee
December 10th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Nope, as an individual.

Did you sign the soul to Google portion.

inobe
December 10th, 2010, 05:55 AM
Nope, as an individual.

same here :D

:lol:

wilee-nilee
December 10th, 2010, 05:57 AM
I want to donate mine to Google not using it anyway.;)

Does the computer have evil organ music like from a horror flick as a startup sound?

racie
December 10th, 2010, 05:58 AM
Nope, as an individual.

Interesting... did you pick all Internet related options in the survey?

I'm still surprised it only took two days for you to get it.

PuddingKnife
December 10th, 2010, 06:09 AM
Interesting... did you pick all Internet related options in the survey?

I'm still surprised it only took two days for you to get it.

Almost. When it asked about office related work I said I use MS Office, because at work we use Windows, and well, that's what I use. At home, there's not a lot of document creation going on.

I was shocked too, but the box said 'next day air' on it, so I guess Google are serious about getting this thing out.

racie
December 10th, 2010, 06:13 AM
'Next day air?' Wow.

I'm actually tempted to make another application with selecting different options in the survey, but I would need a different address.

inobe
December 10th, 2010, 06:36 AM
'Next day air?' Wow.

I'm actually tempted to make another application with selecting different options in the survey, but I would need a different address.

i would imagine that your ip, browser, and operating system were tagged.

you could possibly thwart your chances in getting one at all.

asifnaz
December 10th, 2010, 06:37 AM
First impressions:

Its definitely a lot like the Chrome browser, but with an integrated top panel. That might not be news for some people, but this is the first time I've used ChromeOS. Apps are available in the new Google Apps Marketplace. (makes me glad Canonical changed the title of theirs to 'Software Center')

Im not sure there is a file manager... I havent figured out how to look at /home, but I've only poked around a little bit so far.

It boots in about 10-15 seconds, and the internet is ready to go as soon as you sign in.

Is it a male or female

racie
December 10th, 2010, 06:39 AM

Yeah, I thought of that too.

I really want to test out the OS though.

Huge fan of Google Chrome right here. :D

renkinjutsu
December 10th, 2010, 06:43 AM
There was a question earlier in this thread about browsing the filesystem.. You can browse through folders on chrome using
file://<path>

# example
file:///home

should probably work in ChromeOS too

inobe
December 10th, 2010, 06:46 AM
Yeah, I thought of that too.

I really want to test out the OS though.

Huge fan of Google Chrome right here. :D

question, what happened after you hit submit ?

i asked the question before and got no reply.

i was sent back to the sign up screen with no confirmation ?

user1397
December 10th, 2010, 06:47 AM
There was a question earlier in this thread about browsing the filesystem.. You can browse through folders on chrome using
file://<path>

# example
file:///home

should probably work in ChromeOS tooyea, I remember doing this when I tested out chromiumOS on my netbook, just type in / in the address bar and it should come up with 'file:///' automatically...and theres your file browser.

racie
December 10th, 2010, 06:52 AM

i was sent back to the sign up screen with no confirmation ?

Hmm... well I think I went back to the sign up screen, but the address was different and was https instead of http. I also accidentally refreshed the page after submitting, so I'm not sure if it accidentally sent twice.

inobe
December 10th, 2010, 06:57 AM
Hmm... well I think I went back to the sign up screen, but the address was different and was https instead of http. I also accidentally refreshed the page after submitting, so I'm not sure if it accidentally sent twice.

once you hit submit that's all that counts, done deal.

i was checking my inbox constantly, i gave up on that after the op stated he didn't get any confirmations.

racie
December 10th, 2010, 07:03 AM
once you hit submit that's all that counts, done deal.

i was checking my inbox constantly, i gave up on that after the op stated he didn't get any confirmations.

Yeah I know, I'm still checking mine just in case! :/

renkinjutsu
December 10th, 2010, 07:20 AM
I love how the air-mail reached him before the e-mail

tjeremiah
December 10th, 2010, 07:21 AM
google already knows your phyical location (if not, your ISP sure does). If one is concern, when you sign up, in the print below it said it collects your data because its a test program. So if your concern and dont want google to know you like cheese with soda, dont tell them. Dont go to ilikecheeseandsoda.com

madhi19
December 10th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Does it also use WiFi or is google planning on making money off this thing by being 3g only? I hope they do expend the program outside the US. They did sent me 2x $100 Adwords cards this year. I got to say the first time you get snail mail from Google is kind of an exiting moment!

racie
December 10th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Does it also use WiFi or is google planning on making money off this thing by being 3g only? I hope they do expend the program outside the US. They did sent me 2x $100 Adwords cards this year. I got to say the first time you get snail mail from Google is kind of an exiting moment!

Nope, it uses WiFi with 3G being optional... And I believe you'd be paying Verizon for the 3G, not Google.

madhi19
December 10th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Nope, it uses WiFi with 3G being optional... And I believe you'd be paying Verizon for the 3G, not Google.
I doubt very much that Google would be sending free Netbook and give away all the business to Verizon. They must be getting a cut or it would not make any sense unless Verizon is picking the tab for this marketing/beta program!

PuddingKnife
December 10th, 2010, 01:17 PM
It uses Wifi and 3g, but the 3g connectivity is supplied by Verizon for 2 years, free, limited data. There's are some other options as well.

sefs
December 10th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Are you going to post any photographs of it? I would like to see what it looks like.

joelkat
December 10th, 2010, 01:50 PM
is it google brand xD sorry im nubish rubbish but what brand is it?

PuddingKnife
December 10th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Are you going to post any photographs of it? I would like to see what it looks like.

I certainly can, but someone posted a link to a review at Wired that shows some nice pics..

madjr
December 10th, 2010, 03:03 PM
anything happen yet when you insert a thumb drive or digital camera?

also which web apps did you install?

does it have a few "effects" like in this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANMrzw7JFzA

tjeremiah
December 10th, 2010, 04:46 PM
If I understood the presentation correctly, you can "install" another OS or im not understanding the term of jailbreaking :( Apparently theres a switch that allows you to do so under the battery.

chucky chuckaluck
December 10th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Does single clicking in the urlbar 'select all', or is it that infuriating three click nonsense?

libssd
December 10th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Does single clicking in the urlbar 'select all', or is it that infuriating three click nonsense?
Try Ctrl-L -- shifts the focus to the URL search box, AND highlights everything in it, simultaneously. Firefox works the same way. Speaking of which... I bet Google makes it next to impossible to install an alternative browser on the Chrome notebook.

Shining Arcanine
December 10th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Do these units have hard dives?

They use Sandisk SDSA4DH-016G NAND flash SSDs.

Lancro
December 10th, 2010, 07:16 PM
I think that if it has office apps, it should be able to print, is it?, and in that case, is there any list of supported printers?.

Can you use videoconference?, only with gmail? I mean, does it allows you to use hotmail/yahoo/skype?.

Jolicoeur
December 10th, 2010, 07:27 PM
First impressions:

Can you watch Netflix on it? Can you plug an external hard drive to it?:D

c00lwaterz
December 10th, 2010, 07:52 PM
can they deliver it on other country? asian country? or US only?

thanks

nlsthzn
December 10th, 2010, 08:30 PM
can they deliver it on other country? asian country? or US only?

thanks

US only... I do have a US post-box but there is a good chance Google are going to re-call all the PC's after a period of time and I don't want to be bothered paying that much postage for a "loan" PC...

Brent0
December 10th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Please post some pictures. I don't care about the pictures and review linked. Also, if it is possible, could you take off the bottom and show how accessible the inside is? (For memory and HDD)
Thanks. :)

madjr
December 10th, 2010, 10:14 PM
I think that if it has office apps, it should be able to print, is it?, and in that case, is there any list of supported printers?.

Can you use videoconference?, only with gmail? I mean, does it allows you to use hotmail/yahoo/skype?.

skype is moving to the cloud and will have apis for other sites to use.

they are ditching native clients because is too much effort and most are behind and lacking features.

DoeNietWil
December 10th, 2010, 11:17 PM
I wonder, what browser did you use at the form?
And could Firefox affect it?

sefs
December 11th, 2010, 12:19 PM
I certainly can, but someone posted a link to a review at Wired that shows some nice pics..

User pics > Advertising pics :)

madjr
December 11th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Can you watch Netflix on it? Can you plug an external hard drive to it?:D

i hope google gets netflix to make their stuff work on chrome under linux.

PuddingKnife
December 11th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Sorry for the lack of replies! Ive been very busy! A quick burst of replies to some questions I saw:

One click on the URL bar selects all.

I have not tried to watch Netflix on it.

I dont think its a loaner.. I get to keep it, and use the Verizon plan for free for 2 yrs.

When I applied I used the Chrome browser.

Ok, I see lots of requests for user pics. You will get them today at some point. I have to go back to the bar I was at last night and pack up my drum set, but afterward Id be happy to sit down and take some pics for you guys. Thanks for the interest!

Rasa1111
December 11th, 2010, 04:19 PM

:lol:, right.

I would put a black piece of tape over that camera.
maybe cut the mic. wires to. :lol: lol :P :KS

fillintheblanks
December 11th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Do you have to return it?

tjeremiah
December 11th, 2010, 05:47 PM
also, where was it sent from?

MooPi
December 11th, 2010, 06:58 PM
When these do hit the market what will be the cost ?

nlsthzn
December 11th, 2010, 08:24 PM
I dont think its a loaner.. I get to keep it, and use the Verizon plan for free for 2 yrs.

In that case... application sent... now the wait...

cptrohn
December 11th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Is it getting the 8 hours of battery life they are advertising?

The Flying Penguin
December 11th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Hmmm, I own my own business. Perhaps my chances would be better if I sign up as a business instead of an individual? I'm wondering which group they are targeting more aggressively with this netbook program...

kerry_s
December 11th, 2010, 09:28 PM
i don't think i'll get 1, the odd's are 1 in 60000, plus i'm in hawaii so there'd be extra cost to get it to me. :cry:

aG93IGRvIGkgdWJ1bnR1Pw==
December 11th, 2010, 09:53 PM
i don't think i'll get 1, the odd's are 1 in 60000

That's not how statistics works.

PuddingKnife
December 11th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Do you have to return it?

Nope.

also, where was it sent from?

Not entirely sure, but I think Louisville, KY.

When these do hit the market what will be the cost ?

No clue.

Is it getting the 8 hours of battery life they are advertising?

Yes.

stmiller
December 11th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Are you going to wipe it and install Ubuntu? :)

kaldor
December 12th, 2010, 12:28 AM
Are you going to wipe it and install Ubuntu? :)

It doesn't have a hard drive, and it would be totally useless to do so even then.

racie
December 12th, 2010, 01:41 AM
Hmmm, I own my own business. Perhaps my chances would be better if I sign up as a business instead of an individual? I'm wondering which group they are targeting more aggressively with this netbook program...

I don't think either of those options would make a difference, but if you fill out the application, be sure to answer all internet/Google-based options.

Well I filled out my application Wednesday night... I wonder if there's still a chance I might receive one. :/

user1397
December 12th, 2010, 03:54 AM
Hmm...OP has claimed he would post pics several times...and still hasn't. Sketchy much?

Brent0
December 12th, 2010, 03:59 AM
Hmm...OP has claimed he would post pics several times...and still hasn't. Sketchy much?

Finnaly! I was waiting for someone to say this. I didn't want to get flamed. :p

Gnatcho
December 12th, 2010, 04:30 AM
It doesn't have a hard drive, and it would be totally useless to do so even then.

Not true at all. It's got a 16GB SSD, probably 1GB of ram and a 1.6 GHz Intel Atom processor. It's totally feasible to use with Ubuntu or another proper Linux distro (as opposed to the barebones Linux underpinning Chrome OS). Only thing right now is that despite the jailbreak switch on the laptop, it doesn't seem anyone has been able to get the Cr-48 to recognize the USB stick in start-up. The only issue that worries me is how poor most Linux distros seem to be at battery life. It might not be able to match the barebones Chrome OS on battery life, but it'd be nice to get close to that. Beyond that I suspect the Cr-48 would currently function a lot better with the hardware and driver support of Ubuntu, although if I get one I'll wait until the pilot period is over to install, since it'll be an exciting ride over the next few months.

inobe
December 12th, 2010, 05:17 AM
i don't think i'll get 1, the odd's are 1 in 60000, plus i'm in hawaii so there'd be extra cost to get it to me. :cry:

didn't get one yet, it's been several days, looks like i won't get one.

The Flying Penguin
December 12th, 2010, 05:24 AM
I just signed up using Chrome and selected all the internet options.

That be super sweet if I get it. I'd like to give it a serious test drive. I haven't really been too enamored with cloud computing because of having to have a constant internet connection. But this machine has a 3G card that is paid for two years! I could really have some fun experimenting.

I can always tether to my phone for any thing that is bandwidth intensive. I'm not about to pay extra for more.

I think it was a very smart move for Google use Verizon for the 3G. I am a Verizon customer and I can honestly say they have extremely good 3G coverage. I do ALOT of traveling to many different states and some very rural areas. While I do run into some areas that are just 1X, for the most part I almost always have a 3G connection and its almost always faster then my home dsl. People who get this notebook will be able to use it virtually everywhere.

Good thing they didn't go with AT&T ;)

stmiller
December 12th, 2010, 05:44 AM
Found a link with some specs:

http://blog.maxaller.name/2010/12/cr-48-hardware/

Atom N455 (1.66Ghz), 2GB ram, 16GB SSD

asifnaz
December 12th, 2010, 07:31 AM
Finnaly! I was waiting for someone to say this. I didn't want to get flamed. :p
Honestly I took it as a joke thread when it was started . I am suspicious again ......

Changturkey
December 12th, 2010, 07:38 AM
No GPU acceleration right?

PuddingKnife
December 12th, 2010, 03:10 PM
What can I say? Ive been quite busy.

But I find your lack of faith...disturbing :P

The box it came in.

The decal came with it, but needed to be applied by the recipient.

Notice the lower case keys and oversized mouse pad.

HappinessNow
December 12th, 2010, 04:17 PM

i was sent back to the sign up screen with no confirmation ?I received a confirmation page (see attachment).

I applied on Tuesday December 7th, right after they sent me an email to apply, and have yet to receive anything. It doesn't look good but I will keep my hopes up. :p

The box it came in.

Notice the lower case keys and oversized mouse pad.What I find interesting is you say it shipped to you from KY and you live in Morgantown, WV, since I am on the West Coast maybe it will take a wee bit longer, perhaps Monday...I hope! ;)

Lucradia
December 12th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Shouldn't be too difficult to work around.

Unless it's UEFI, on a PC (not PowerPC)

trekrem
December 12th, 2010, 07:21 PM
I got a popup a few days ago while in gmail, it was a very short form (basically only name, address etc.) No questions or anything else, I wonder why I got a very short form popup? I have been using gmail since 2006, and have been using Google calendar for a year or two among other services... I wonder if I was preselected? Either way, I still haven't received anything!

asifnaz
December 12th, 2010, 07:34 PM

I am really sorry for thinking it was a joke post . Forgive me if I hurt your feelings .

kerry_s
December 12th, 2010, 09:38 PM
didn't get one yet, it's been several days, looks like i won't get one.

you can check if any's on route.
http://addicted-gamer.com/cr48-tracker/

http://techie-buzz.com/tech-news/chrome-os-cr-48-delivery-tracker.html

bad news for me, see pic.

racie
December 12th, 2010, 10:13 PM

Are you sure this is correct? According to the website, several are going to my area. :P

AllRadioisDead
December 12th, 2010, 10:15 PM
You guys are so lucky, I've been following ChromeOS development since they announced it last summer. The CR-48's look awesome, unfortunately they won't ship to Canada :(
I'd love to get my hands on one, it's unfortunate that Google is the only distributor :(, everything about it just seems to fit my student lifestyle so perfectly. A completely unbranded notebook would be awesome, the hardware looks impressive as well.

kerry_s
December 12th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Are you sure this is correct? According to the website, several are going to my area. :P

have no idea, i linked to the site it came from, it says it uses the ups api, what ever that means. i'm thinking i should sign up again, but use my dads address in the main land, he can ship it to me if i get lucky. ;)

racie
December 12th, 2010, 11:05 PM
I received a confirmation page (see attachment).

Uh oh... I definitely did not get that page, but I'm afraid to sign up again as I WAS redirected to a secure page after signing up. Did you get a confirmation email as well?

Well, I checked all of the three addresses in my city and apparently people named Yogi, Kristen, and Christopher are all getting Chrome netbooks.

Things are looking very bleak for me. D: It's weird because I assumed that not many people around me knew about this, but four people were accepted in my city (one was already shipped).

Apparently the shipper is "Insight" though. I wonder if this is correct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insight_Enterprises

kerry_s
December 12th, 2010, 11:11 PM
there's still hope, they have 60000 & have only shipped 6000+, still a lot more to go.

racie
December 12th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Yeah, I'm hoping for another wave of shipping. *crosses fingers*

tjeremiah
December 12th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Crap, that app ruined my day :(. Of all the areas in NYC, mines doesnt show up as a package coming in. Sigh...

razorj7
December 13th, 2010, 12:42 AM
I also got the netbook. Filled out the survey on the 6th and got it on the 9th.

I tried to play Netflix but it says that it is not compatible with the OS. However, you can add movies/shows to your Instant Queue.

I recently found the developer switch and am currrently working on getting it to dual boot.

PuddingKnife
December 13th, 2010, 12:51 AM
I recently found the developer switch and am currrently working on getting it to dual boot.

I'll be interested to see that!

tjeremiah
December 13th, 2010, 01:29 AM
did UPS send it or was it FedEx or some other postal service?

cptrohn
December 13th, 2010, 02:24 AM
Heh, I wonder if any of them have shown up on Ebay yet?

The Flying Penguin
December 13th, 2010, 03:17 AM
I also got the netbook. Filled out the survey on the 6th and got it on the 9th.

I tried to play Netflix but it says that it is not compatible with the OS. However, you can add movies/shows to your Instant Queue.

Netflix doesn't work on Linux :cry:

And I'd like to dual boot Chrome OS and Peppermint. Two cloud based OS on this machine would be too cool :p

Heh, I wonder if any of them have shown up on Ebay yet?

Ebay pops up with a couple fake listings from people with nothing better to do...

I read an article yesterday that some had popped up on Ebay. At the time of the article the auction was around $500 or so.

HappinessNow
December 13th, 2010, 04:18 AM

It shows one was delivered to my zip code on the 9th,...I was at school all day so they could have dropped it off at the apartment office but they left no notice....

Who is delivering these? UPS, Fedex, or post office? are they signature required? I know at least one shipper leaves things at my front door, completely unsecured.

3 possibilities:

1. I was not selected but someone else in my zip code was (most likely)

2. they delivered it to the apartment office and forgot to leave a note (hoping)

3. they delivered to my front door and somebody stole it (highly unlikely)

EDIT: good news for some people they are still shipping some out, I checked the zipcode next to mine...

one due for delivery 12/13 sent overnight

one due for delivery 12/16 sent ground

unfortunately unless mine got shipped to the management office with no notice I am out of luck

tjeremiah
December 13th, 2010, 04:34 AM
apparently its only UPS but im waiting to see if its others. I read one that said FedEx dropped his but he might not be telling the truth.

HappinessNow
December 13th, 2010, 04:41 AM
apparently its only UPS but im waiting to see if its others. I read one that said FedEx dropped his but he might not be telling the truth.If I remember correctly UPS is the one that just leaves the package by my front door.

My wife just filled out an application, maybe she will get one?

tjeremiah
December 13th, 2010, 04:49 AM
If I remember correctly UPS is the one that just leaves the package by my front door.

My wife just filled out an application, maybe she will get one?
Maybe. If this app is right and I see no update in my area by Tuesday, im going to reapply.

racie
December 13th, 2010, 04:51 AM
Maybe. If this app is right and I see no update in my area by Tuesday, im going to reapply.

*edit* Meh, it won't hurt. I'll probably do the same thing if I don't get one.

HappinessNow
December 13th, 2010, 05:46 AM
*edit* Meh, it won't hurt. I'll probably do the same thing if I don't get one.
Yeah I am thinking of reapplying as a Business Owner instead of an individual...since I do own a business.

Kdar
December 13th, 2010, 05:57 AM
I just applied now.. Applied as a Education user, since I work at my school for one professor.

I hope its not too late to get it.

nlsthzn
December 13th, 2010, 06:26 AM
Hmmm... 5 packages making there way to the correct area... won't that be nice :D

madhi19
December 13th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Google usually does smart things trusting UPS for their beta program is not one of them! Of all the shipping carrier I ever used and I used almost all of them it the one that gave me the more grief!

Rasa1111
December 13th, 2010, 08:24 AM
after reading all the reviews on these things..
I wouldn't even want one for free.
Definitely not worth giving them all my info for. lol

Interested to see how the dual boot goes though....

cptrohn
December 13th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Well here is the obvious question that I have not heard anybody ask..
How do you like the Chrome OS? What do you see as it's strengths and weaknesses? Is it even a little bit customizable? Do you feel comfortbale doing everything from the cloud?

c00lwaterz
December 13th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Well here is the obvious question that I have not heard anybody ask..
How do you like the Chrome OS? What do you see as it's strengths and weaknesses? Is it even a little bit customizable? Do you feel comfortbale doing everything from the cloud?

for me, i don't like everything on the cloud.
I use internet and it's really helpful for communicating and media.
But for my music, I want it to play from my hard disk. I also want to store my images on my hard drive though some was posted on such as fb or flicker but having it on hard drive is better specially if you want to keep it private. I also play offline games such as rpg or something like strategy.

i use Internet for using forum, email, downloading stuffs, specially searching/googling and etc.. but still i want some of the things from my hard drive. :D

it's hard for me to be 100% cloud person haha

madhi19
December 13th, 2010, 09:52 PM
for me, i don't like everything on the cloud.
I use internet and it's really helpful for communicating and media.
But for my music, I want it to play from my hard disk. I also want to store my images on my hard drive though some was posted on such as fb or flicker but having it on hard drive is better specially if you want to keep it private. I also play offline games such as rpg or something like strategy.

i use Internet for using forum, email, downloading stuffs, specially searching/googling and etc.. but still i want some of the things from my hard drive. :D

it's hard for me to be 100% cloud person haha

My prediction is that the Chrome OS Cloudbook price point will be around $199 maybe even cheaper. At that price it going to be a no brainer if you want an extra laptop just for the basement or something you want to take on a trip and not feel too bad if it get trashed. You know the type of things we believed Netbook will become before they jacked the price and froze the spec to appease Microsoft. I can see myself investing more on a better desktop for my home and a cheap Cloudbook to lump around.

racie
December 13th, 2010, 10:08 PM
My prediction is that the Chrome OS Cloudbook price point will be around $199 maybe even cheaper. At that price it going to be a no brainer if you want an extra laptop just for the basement or something you want to take on a trip and not feel too bad if it get trashed. You know the type of things we believed Netbook will become before they jacked the price and froze the spec to appease Microsoft. I can see myself investing more on a better desktop for my home and a cheap Cloudbook to lump around.

This is almost exactly how I feel. I don't get why some people are hating on Google for Chrome OS.

Kdar
December 14th, 2010, 12:14 AM
It will be another platform that will help drive some people away from Windows (Considering that some of those people mostly use Internet and nothing else on their Computers).

sandyd
December 14th, 2010, 01:32 AM
I got one this morning at my office (UPS dude that serves my area just drops everything off on people's porches so.....).

Havent opened it yet, Im still running spinrite on my sister's HD.

Gremlinzzz
December 14th, 2010, 01:37 AM
Good for you I don't want one!

Kdar
December 14th, 2010, 03:15 AM
Good for you I don't want one!

No one is forcing you :)

Gremlinzzz
December 14th, 2010, 05:23 AM
Not one is forcing you :)

Well that's good to know.

tgalati4
December 14th, 2010, 06:34 AM
This is definitely the year of Google on the Netbook.

HappinessNow
December 14th, 2010, 11:20 AM
I got one this morning at my office (UPS dude that serves my area just drops everything off on people's porches so.....).

unfortunately they do the same here

Starks
December 14th, 2010, 08:11 PM
https://sites.google.com/a/chromium.org/dev/chromium-os/developer-information-for-chrome-os-devices/cr-48-chrome-notebook-developer-information/how-to-boot-ubuntu-on-a-cr-48

This was such a pain in the ***.

3Miro
December 14th, 2010, 09:09 PM
chroot is a Linux/Unix tool, it cannot work with Windows. If it is possible to put windows on, it will be a completely different procedure.

kaldor
December 14th, 2010, 09:34 PM
chroot is a Linux/Unix tool, it cannot work with Windows. If it is possible to put windows on, it will be a completely different procedure.

I don't get why anyone would get a Cr-48 and WANT to put another OS on it. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the cloud-based computer?

3Miro
December 14th, 2010, 09:41 PM
I don't get why anyone would get a Cr-48 and WANT to put another OS on it. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the cloud-based computer?

I don't know. People put Gentoo on XBox. Some people get hardware just for the purpose of messing with it and trying different hacks.

chris200x9
December 14th, 2010, 09:58 PM
https://sites.google.com/a/chromium.org/dev/chromium-os/developer-information-for-chrome-os-devices/cr-48-chrome-notebook-developer-information/how-to-boot-ubuntu-on-a-cr-48

This was such a pain in the ***.

what? why? Who cares? They are not even out. People are getting them for free to test the OS putting another os on at this point is defrauding google. If they are still a PITA once they are actually out feel free to complain.

sandyd
December 14th, 2010, 09:59 PM
unfortunately they do the same here
I made the UPS dude wait for 20 minutes down at the lobby of my office cause two of the elevators were out of service, and one was being used for moving furniture :D . I was just too lazy to go down and get it myself.

PuddingKnife
December 14th, 2010, 10:40 PM
So far I really like it.

For what it does.

Which is cloud stuff.

But it certainly hasnt replaced my laptop, or my smartphone. I think Google may be on to something here with an instant on internet machine.

Starks
December 14th, 2010, 11:34 PM
The whole idea of running an OS like Chrome through signed code and BIOS trickery is quite a turn-off.

It reminds me of the whole "trusted computing" scare of the early 2000s.

Mr. Picklesworth
December 14th, 2010, 11:43 PM
what? why? Who cares? They are not even out. People are getting them for free to test the OS putting another os on at this point is defrauding google. If they are still a PITA once they are actually out feel free to complain.

They'll be more of a pain, but that doesn't make it sensible to complain about it. It isn't going to change. It's _meant_ to be a pain; these are not your regular PCs. They are built as appliances, with the software bolted directly on to the hardware. It's a different approach entirely.

Now, doing it for fun: more power to you. I think it's a little unfair to do it to a CR-48, but in general making hardware do stuff it isn't built to do can lead in all sorts of exciting directions.

streed
December 14th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Don't know if anyone else here has heard, but there's a way to get Ubuntu running on the machine. It takes a little bit of work, but Linux geeks shouldn't have a problem with getting it on there. You can dual boot between Chrome OS and Ubuntu, so it may come in handy and makes the CR-48 a little more useful.

Here's a tutorial for installing Ubuntu:
https://sites.google.com/a/chromium....ntu-on-a-cr-48

And a video of it running on the machine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UimfEI85WZo

ddoolin
December 15th, 2010, 08:18 AM

That makes me laugh, as I had my Cr-48 in my hands 10 hours ago at the time of this post. They started shipping the day before IIRC.

Anyway, dual-booting is not defrauding Google. It's taking away half of the initial purpose, but if you still use Chrome OS for the original purpose (report bugs), then what's wrong with that? I'll dual-boot and I've already started doing my part.

It's only like a $300 computer, not a big gain/loss. Like someone said, I'd like to do it just for the sake of DOING IT. Just to say I did. There's no real rhyme or reason (besides psychologically I suppose). Unless there's an easier method, I doubt Windows will go on this machine, though I'll be getting around to Ubuntu as soon as I have time to do all that crap.

NightwishFan
December 15th, 2010, 08:26 AM
If I did not contribute back to google at all and did this, I would feel like a fraud. I would certainly want only Ubuntu on it if I had such a device though.

Dr. C
December 15th, 2010, 09:19 AM
The whole idea of running an OS like Chrome through signed code and BIOS trickery is quite a turn-off.

It reminds me of the whole "trusted computing" scare of the early 2000s.

The "trusted computing" scare of the early 2000s won't happen here because Chrome OS contains GPL v3 code.

unknownPoster
December 15th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Installing another OS on hardware so intrinsically designed in tandem with ChromeOS is both trivial and counterproductive at best. Instead of devoting so much time on trying to get something that isn't supported at all to work, why not spend that time reporting bugs in the software in order to improve it, which is the intended purpose of Google's program right now.

Dr. C
December 15th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Installing another OS on hardware so intrinsically designed in tandem with ChromeOS is both trivial and counterproductive at best. Instead of devoting so much time on trying to get something that isn't supported at all to work, why not spend that time reporting bugs in the software in order to improve it, which is the intended purpose of Google's program right now.

Actually installing another version of GNU / Linux on the notebooks is perfectly legitimate and well within the intended purpose of the program since it demonstrates that Google is in compliance with GPL v3.

MooPi
December 15th, 2010, 04:16 PM

I'm going to agree with this statement. Sure it proves you're the man of hackers but in good faith you signed up to beta test and not hack their product. I tried in vain to install Chromium OS to my EeePc, but something was holding it back from even booting. I now see that the image alone probably over stressed my little Eee. Heck I looked at it with Gparted and thought I'd written over another OS that was previously on the thumb drive.

HappinessNow
December 15th, 2010, 10:58 PM

bad news for me, see pic.OMG...I just missed the UPS guy trying to make a delivery to my apartment!!!!!

The package is available for pick up at the management office!!!

I checked your link and there are 2 more computers set to be delivered to my zip code!!!

Have to go to the office and see if I got a free Google Chrome Computer!!!....I am NOT expecting any other packages so my hopes are high! :p:p:p

HappinessNow
December 15th, 2010, 11:19 PM
OMG...I just missed the UPS guy trying to make a delivery to my apartment!!!!!

The package is available for pick up at the management office!!!

I checked your link and there are 2 more computers set to be delivered to my zip code!!!

Have to go to the office and see if I got a free Google Chrome Computer!!!....I am NOT expecting any other packages so my hopes are high! :p:p:p

YAY! I Got One!

tjeremiah
December 16th, 2010, 12:33 AM
YAY! I Got One!
:(

HappinessNow
December 16th, 2010, 01:09 AM
:(Why the sad face?

I applied on December 7th and just received one so it took like 8 days total and delivery was via UPS 2nd Day Air

That should be uplifting to know they don't all get delivered so quickly.

also out of the 60,000 computers Google is giving away for free only 8,306 have been delivered so far.

kerry_s
December 16th, 2010, 01:59 AM
Why the sad face?

I applied on December 7th and just received one so it took like 8 days total and delivery was via UPS 2nd Day Air

also out of the 60,000 computers Google is giving away for free only 8,306 have been delivered so far.

i'm hopping mines on the way. i applied again using my dads address in vegas & that same day it shows 1 on route. see pic

tjeremiah
December 16th, 2010, 02:16 AM
Why the sad face?

lol, im happy for you. I'm just tired of waiting, assuming that im receiving one. Yeah, the odds are pretty good seeing that I signed up middle of last week.

cptrohn
December 16th, 2010, 02:56 AM
hopefully I have one coming as well... checked today and there is one heading to my zipcode as well... I am trying not to get my hopes up though... LOL What a great Christmas present for Linux Geeks eh?

racie
December 16th, 2010, 06:13 AM
Why the sad face?

Well it's not uplifting to check every tracking code for your area and find out that none of them are shipping to you. *sigh*

I'm thinking of re-applying on the last day just in case my request didn't go through.

cptrohn
December 16th, 2010, 06:18 AM
Well here is one on Ebay for the low, low price of $5000 ..... what a bargain for a developmental netbook that isn't really fully developed as yet...... Damn some people just suck.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Google-ChromeOS-Cr48-Notebook-/130466297927?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item1e6065b847

I guess I am just old fashioned... I beleive that if you make an agreement with somebody you keep your word. People that signed up agreed to help with the testing and they would get the notebook for that purpose.

HappinessNow
December 16th, 2010, 12:51 PM
i'm hopping mines on the way. i applied again using my dads address in vegas & that same day it shows 1 on route. see pic
Don't rely on the information given on the CR-48 shipping tracker hosted by addicted-gamer.com it is inaccurate.

For my zipcode they only show 3 laptops being delivered with the following specifications:

Destination Weight Shipped Delivered Service
My City, State & Zip 6.00 lbs 12/09 12/09 Overnight
Destination Weight Shipped ETA Service
My City, State & Zip 6.00 lbs 12/14 12/21 Ground
My City, State & Zip 6.00 lbs 12/14 12/21 Ground
http://addicted-gamer.com/cr48-tracker

...but when I do the tracking using the UPS tracking number it shows that it shipped on 12/13 and Delivered on 12/15 via 2nd Day Air

I wouldn't rely on the info from addicted-gamer

HappinessNow
December 16th, 2010, 01:15 PM
So I wanted to start a CR-48 users thread for ubuntuforums members who have received CR-48 laptops from Google.

here are a few usability how-to's:

1. right-click on the Cr-48 by tapping with two fingers (or holding Alt and single clicking).

2. take a screenshot, press Ctrl and the 'next window' key ([]]])

3. If you want to enter developer mode on your CR-48 refer here:
http://goo.gl/rd69I

4. ctrl-alt-? pulls up a keyboard overlay, hitting either ctrl, alt, or shift shows shortcuts for those modifiers; ctrl-alt-? hides the keyboard overlay (see attached screenshot)

5. some more:

Chrome OS Cr-48 Keyboard Shortcuts
shift-esc task mgr
shift-backspace forward
ctrl-back prev tab
ctrl-forward next tab
ctrl-fullscreen mirroring
ctrl-next window screenshot
ctrl-1 go to tab 1
ctrl-8 go to tab 8
ctrl-9 go to last tab
ctrl-0 zoom normal
ctrl-- zoom out
ctrl-+ zoom in
ctrl-tab select next tab
ctrl-a select all
ctrl-c copy
ctrl-d bookmark
ctrl-e focus search
ctrl-f find
ctrl-g find again
ctrl-h history
ctrl-j downloads
ctrl-k focus search
ctrl-l focus location
ctrl-n new window
ctrl-o open/new file browser
ctrl-p print
ctrl-r reload
ctrl-s save
ctrl-t new tab
ctrl-u view source
ctrl-v paste
ctrl-w close tab
ctrl-x cut
ctrl-z undo
ctrl-? help
ctrl-left word move
ctrl-right word move
alt-1 go to window 1
alt-9 go to window 9
alt-backspace forward delete
alt-tab select next window
alt-d focus location bar
alt-e menu
alt-f menu
alt-left back
alt-right forward
alt-up pg up
alt-dwn pg dwn
ctrl-alt-t command line terminal crosh
ctrl-alt-=> command line terminal VT2
ctrl-alt-<= exit command line terminal VT2
ctrl-alt-? keyboard viewer
ctrl-alt-up home
ctrl-alt-dwn end
ctrl-shift-back next tab
ctrl-shift-forward prev tab
ctrl-shift-tab select prev tab
ctrl-shift-b toogle bookmark bar
ctrl-shift-d bookmark all tabs
ctrl-shift-g find previous
ctrl-shift-i development tools
ctrl-shift-j dom inspector
ctrl-shift-n new incognito window
ctrl-shift-q sign out
ctrl-shift-r reload bypassing cache
ctrl-shift-t reopen last tab
ctrl-shift-v paste as plain text
ctrl-shift-w close window
ctrl-shift-? help
ctrl-shift-left word select
ctrl-shift-right word select
alt-shift-tab select previous window
alt-shift-b focus bookmarks
alt-shift-s focus status
alt-shift-t focus toolbar

Also for everybody in general there is an excellent review on the CR-48 written: http://goo.gl/XndE5

Helpful usability:

ctrl + n - opens a new window
alt + tab - to flow seamlessly between those windows
tab menu extension to navigate your tabs within your individual windows - http://goo.gl/FhfUW

another usability post, I highly recommend the ChromeAccess Extension it will make your access to about pages easier
http://goo.gl/yGYPH

shuttleworthwannabe
December 16th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Ubuntu on Cr-48 (http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/developer-information-for-chrome-os-devices/cr-48-chrome-notebook-developer-information/how-to-boot-ubuntu-on-a-cr-48)

fatality_uk
December 16th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Did anyone outside the US manage to snag one of these?

HappinessNow
December 16th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Ubuntu on Cr-48 (http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/developer-information-for-chrome-os-devices/cr-48-chrome-notebook-developer-information/how-to-boot-ubuntu-on-a-cr-48)Thanks for the link, for those users who want to venture there will have fun with that.

I am attaching a screenshot of the file system on Chrome OS for fun :p

...and a screenshot using Adobe Photoshop Express on Google's Chrome OS CR-48 laptop

jadymitchell
December 16th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Great! How did you get to that file manager?

HappinessNow
December 16th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Great! How did you get to that file manager?while on the Adobe Photoshop Express website I selected 'Upload' it took me there. I have yet to figure out how to get there otherwise.
:p

...a follow up to your question, you can go to about:flags and enable an advanced file system that can be accessed by ctrl-o

HappinessNow
December 16th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Just wanted to report that Google Cloud Print works flawlessly on Google Chrome OS CR-48 laptop (Cloudtop/Cloudbook):

http://goo.gl/XdGZ3

HappinessNow
December 16th, 2010, 05:40 PM

redrac
December 17th, 2010, 12:04 AM
Just got my chrome book today, posting from it now. Was nice surprise.

bwhite82
December 17th, 2010, 12:06 AM
Yep, got mine today too. Need to send Google a nice thank you card. I'm going thru the "default tutorial" now.

bwhite82
December 17th, 2010, 12:59 AM
Is there any way to probe the hardware? I tried:

hwinfo, lsusb, lspci (all the usual suspects) and none work.

tjeremiah
December 17th, 2010, 01:41 AM
when did you guys sign up and what category did you choose?

bwhite82
December 17th, 2010, 01:45 AM
By category do you mean the first question? "What type of user are you?"

I chose "individual" and signed up on Dec. 7th.

tjeremiah
December 17th, 2010, 01:54 AM
By category do you mean the first question? "What type of user are you?"

I chose "individual" and signed up on Dec. 7th.

yeah, that. Ok, thanks.

bwhite82
December 17th, 2010, 03:13 AM
1. right-click on the Cr-48 by tapping with two fingers (or holding Alt and single clicking).

This little nugget needs to be shown again. It is a PAIN to use two fingers for a right click.

constellanation
December 17th, 2010, 05:44 AM
Got mine today, Thanks Google!

as i was super excited, hungry and tired from a long day at work, when going to take a picture for the account i clicked skip instead of shutter... d'oh!

but in my attempt to find a way to fix that (currently isn't one apparently) i did find a way to change the picture if you took one here

http://www.anitgenius.com/how-to-replace-your-crappy-profile-picture-on-your-cr-48

Anyway glad to have a found a thread like this on the cr-48. Can't wait to see what else everyone comes up with and across.

redrac
December 17th, 2010, 05:58 AM
https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/igbopepkcgngnondcbahkjiggmaojoed

extension for using the builtin webcam

redrac
December 17th, 2010, 05:59 AM
still trying to access files on sdcard or external hdd

Druke
December 17th, 2010, 06:32 AM
ssh is supported by crosh... but no color support :(.

constellanation
December 17th, 2010, 06:45 AM

extension for using the builtin webcam

thanks! have you happened to come across any that will just snap pics? I'd like to try above steps i linked (with out putting in an sdcard if i can)

HappinessNow
December 17th, 2010, 06:51 AM

extension for using the builtin webcamjust installed nimbb, Thanks for the post :p

Got mine today, Thanks Google!

as i was super excited, hungry and tired from a long day at work, when going to take a picture for the account i clicked skip instead of shutter... d'oh!

but in my attempt to find a way to fix that (currently isn't one apparently) i did find a way to change the picture if you took one here

http://www.anitgenius.com/how-to-replace-your-crappy-profile-picture-on-your-cr-48

Anyway glad to have a found a thread like this on the cr-48. Can't wait to see what else everyone comes up with and across.Awesome post! Thanks!

suprman2020
December 17th, 2010, 06:52 AM
still trying to access files on sdcard or external hdd

Go to "chrome://flags" without the quotes and enable Advanced Filesystem. Then go to the bottom and restart Chrome. When you plug in sdcard, it should say scanning device. If not, try pressing control and o. I've attached an image of what it should look like.

I got my SD card to show but I couldn't browse it.

suprman2020
December 17th, 2010, 07:00 AM
Also if you go into chrome://flags, enable the media player. You will be able to play songs that you download. I'm not sure if it will play movies or any media besides mp3 because I haven't tried it.

Druke
December 17th, 2010, 07:00 AM
ssh is supported by crosh... but no color support :(.

found a 'fix', enabling developer mode and then doing ctrl-alt-(forward arrow, up above. where f2 would be) will swap to a tty. Not a perfect solution (no copy past from browser windows and such)m but it's as good as I'm going to get I recon.

HappinessNow
December 17th, 2010, 07:20 AM
Go to "chrome://flags" without the quotes and enable Advanced Filesystem. Then go to the bottom and restart Chrome. When you plug in sdcard, it should say scanning device. If not, try pressing control and o. I've attached an image of what it should look like.

I got my SD card to show but I couldn't browse it.loving the Advanced Filesystem!

Also if you go into chrome://flags, enable the media player. You will be able to play songs that you download. I'm not sure if it will play movies or any media besides mp3 because I haven't tried it.I enabled the media player but have yet to use it yet been using MOG

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_wj75JfyDVxs/TQqZR4KgQWI/AAAAAAAAAsw/xlV_X0UXeTo/s640/screenshot-20101216-145555.png

found a 'fix', enabling developer mode and then doing ctrl-alt-(forward arrow, up above. where f2 would be) will swap to a tty. Not a perfect solution (no copy past from browser windows and such)m but it's as good as I'm going to get I recon.I haven't enabled developer mode...yet :p

I am loving the spotlight notification on pinned tabs! (see spotlight on pinned gmail tab, it scrolls by to let you know when a new post has been made to gmail chat, also works with other pinned tabs)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_wj75JfyDVxs/TQr765wSlHI/AAAAAAAAAs0/OEv_XP_Rug8/s640/screenshot-20101216-215715.png

suprman2020
December 17th, 2010, 07:29 AM
You have to pay for MOG. I've been using Grooveshark because its free.

redrac
December 17th, 2010, 08:34 AM
downloaded a mp4 and mp3 both played fine in the media player. youtube video downloader extension. could see my memory card now but not access any files. May have to set my main pc up as webserver to transfer files.

HappinessNow
December 17th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Is there any way to probe the hardware? I tried:

hwinfo, lsusb, lspci (all the usual suspects) and none work.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_wj75JfyDVxs/TQsWeINeDXI/AAAAAAAAAs4/LY4N024JbrA/s640/screenshot-20101216-235020.png

You have to pay for MOG. I've been using Grooveshark because its free.problem with Grooveshark is you get what you paid for, audio quality overall is usually poor and inconsistent.

I am just trying the 14 day free trial of MOG out, but so far I find it is the best music software I have found (much better then itunes and pandora) and $4.99 a month is completely affordable.

HappinessNow
December 17th, 2010, 09:56 AM
downloaded a mp4 and mp3 both played fine in the media player. youtube video downloader extension. could see my memory card now but not access any files. May have to set my main pc up as webserver to transfer files.

Thanks for the post, I downloaded a mp4 using the YouTube Video Downloader Extension, created a new folder called "music" with the Advanced Filesystem and everything works beautifully...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_wj75JfyDVxs/TQshHFAuNnI/AAAAAAAAAtA/jpDlekEkREA/s640/screenshot-20101217-003451.png

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_wj75JfyDVxs/TQshz7uJ6oI/AAAAAAAAAtI/7OfH0KxCVfg/s640/screenshot-20101217-003904.png

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_wj75JfyDVxs/TQshNu1pxjI/AAAAAAAAAtE/5pq1iy8NOOg/s640/screenshot-20101217-003510.png

I like the simplicity of the Chrome OS Media Player but wish it had an autoreplay button, perhaps it does but I am not finding it yet.

donciclon
December 17th, 2010, 11:02 AM
If anyone in here managed to install ubuntu onto the cr-48 successfully, can you help me get the audio and wlan working please.

suprman2020
December 17th, 2010, 02:36 PM
How did you create a new folder?

renkinjutsu
December 17th, 2010, 09:10 PM
I got my Cr-48 last night! Apparently, it had been sitting at the side of my house the whole day! One thing I was concerned about was that the temperature outside was waaaaaay below freezing, and when I took a look at the notebook, just putting my hand near it made condensation appear on the surface!

I popped the battery in and turned it on, and the battery worked just fine *phew!*

Anyone figure out how ssh with keys?

redrac
December 17th, 2010, 09:49 PM
When save as when downloading can create folder in that box. If that makes any sense.

bwhite82
December 17th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Anyone else install the "Chrome for a cause" addon? Found another (small) annoyance:

Whenever your netbook is asleep for a while (after you close the lid) and you open it back up you have to wait for your Wifi connection to reconnect. I assume it puts your wifi card to sleep also.

It won't do it right away, say, if I closed it and opened it right back up -- I would still have wifi.

tjeremiah
December 17th, 2010, 10:14 PM
I hope that if I do get it, they just dont drop it @ my house and leave because around here, the city, someone will for sure take it. Sometimes over here, its at random. UPS would drop some packages and others, they force you to sign.

suprman2020
December 17th, 2010, 10:49 PM
When save as when downloading can create folder in that box. If that makes any sense.

It actually made sense when I tried to save a file.

I don't know if this has already been said, but clicking on a link with three fingers opens it in a new background tab. Clicking on a tab with three fingers will close the tab.

kerry_s
December 17th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Don't rely on the information given on the CR-48 shipping tracker hosted by addicted-gamer.com it is inaccurate.

For my zipcode they only show 3 laptops being delivered with the following specifications:

http://addicted-gamer.com/cr48-tracker

...but when I do the tracking using the UPS tracking number it shows that it shipped on 12/13 and Delivered on 12/15 via 2nd Day Air

I wouldn't rely on the info from addicted-gamer

i'm not really worried about the actual date, just knowing they're getting to the area gives a glimmer of hope.

looks like i was wrong, i guess they are shipping to hawaii. :p
i didn't get that first 1, so maybe that second 1 is me. ;)

bwhite82
December 17th, 2010, 11:12 PM
After reading around the web I'm seeing that just about everyone who signed up on Dec. 7th has gotten one or its on the way. To be honest it doesn't seem like your responses to the survey mean much.

They seem to be sending them in numerical order. I could be totally wrong about that. My guess is that chances are pretty good that you'll get one if you signed up relatively early.

kerry_s
December 17th, 2010, 11:21 PM
i don't know about that, i signed up on the second day it started & haven't got 1 yet. i think it's going by area, so they get a good spread around the country, maybe a certain number per zip code.

inobe
December 17th, 2010, 11:28 PM
i don't know about that, i signed up on the second day it started & haven't got 1 yet. i think it's going by area, so they get a good spread around the country, maybe a certain number per zip code.

yes, i noticed they are sent to major cities, i don't see any going to small towns.

bwhite82
December 17th, 2010, 11:30 PM
yes, i noticed they are sent to major cities, i don't see any going to small towns.

Wrong. I live in a small town and got one. I'm telling you, chances are pretty good you'll get one if you signed up early. They're sending out 60k, thats no small change. Be patient.

Brent0
December 18th, 2010, 12:05 AM
Wrong. I live in a small town and got one. I'm telling you, chances are pretty good you'll get one if you signed up early. They're sending out 60k, thats no small change. Be patient.

I live in a small town surrounded by big towns (Chicago to name one) and they all got a bunch delivered. None where I am. I signed up as soon as you put that thread up.

bwhite82
December 18th, 2010, 12:22 AM
I live in a small town surrounded by big towns (Chicago to name one) and they all got a bunch delivered. None where I am. I signed up as soon as you put that thread up.

Well I hope I'm right and here's http://www.vwvortex.com/Anthony/Smilies/embeer.gif to you getting one. I actually do want as many here as possible to get one.

Then Google later will be like "there seems to be a disproportionate amount of Ubuntu users...." ...and find my thread... :twisted:

HappinessNow
December 18th, 2010, 01:17 AM
It appears that Google actually sent me a Pony! a Mario Pony (http://www.icr-48.com/2010/12/it-appears-google-actually-sent-me-pony.html) to be exact ;)

just curious did Google send you a Pony also? a Mario Pony or a Mario Fish?

IEC MARIO FISH 2330
IEC MARIO PONY 6101

draperdt
December 18th, 2010, 02:20 AM
You can open however many new terminals using Cntrl Alt t

You can switch between the terminals using Alt Tab

The top row keys are also functions keys..ala F1 Through F10
You can switch to another tty using 'Cntrl Alt F*'

Kernel Messages are on Cntrl Alt F8 [mute key] To go back to original terminal Cntrl Alt F1 [back arrow key]

You can enter shell with out logging into chrome aswell.

When logged in the browser and hit Cntl Alt t, the default shell is crosh

To get to bash, type shell

There is no password for sudo which you have to assign

MikeA36
December 18th, 2010, 02:28 AM
Haven't come across an answer, so figured you guys would know. Is there a time limit you have with these free cloudtops, or are they yours to keep?

tosk
December 18th, 2010, 02:40 AM
I got a notice in Chrome yesterday and filled out the application.

Just checked on the tracker and it says 3 are enroute to my zip with the most recent being yesterday.

The city listed is abbreviated just like I put in my application. Not getting my hopes up, but just maybe...

bwhite82
December 18th, 2010, 02:58 AM
Haven't come across an answer, so figured you guys would know. Is there a time limit you have with these free cloudtops, or are they yours to keep?

I've read nothing about giving it back (online or in the Terms). Not to mention the mess it would be logistically getting them all back.

WiFi Ed
December 18th, 2010, 03:28 AM
I applied 6 days ago, no luck so far :-(

Howevah, the tracker link shows a few still en route to my zipcode so there's still hope...

(fingers crossed)

libssd
December 18th, 2010, 05:24 AM
Looks like pretty generic netbook:

Processor: Intel Atom Processor N455 1.66GHz 512K Cache
Chipset: Intel CG82NM10 PCH
Motherboard: Tripod Motherboard MARIO -- 6050A240910 -- MB -- A03
Ram: Hynix 2GB DDR3 1Rx8 PC3 -- 10600S Ram
Read Only Memory: ITE IT8500E Flash ROM
SSD Drive: SanDisk sdsa4dh-016G 16GB SATA SSD
Wireless Wan: Qualcomm Gobi2000 PCI Express Mini Card
3g Adapter: AzureWave 802.11 a/b/g/n PCI-E Half MiniCard
Bluetooth: Atheros AR5BBU12 Bluetooth V2.1 EDR

Source: http://www.betanews.com/joewilcox/article/A-week-with-Googles-Chrome-OS-laptop-Day-1-Getting-acquainted/1292364970

racie
December 18th, 2010, 05:24 AM
One more was just sent to my zip code... and I applied last Wednesday... so I suppose there's still a little bit of hope, but it has a slightly different city name. :(

I really wish they would just send out applied/denied e-mails. That way I would at least KNOW if they're not going to send me one.

And did anyone else notice that you can't check the shipping numbers on the CR48 tracker any more? Kinda stinks.

libssd
December 18th, 2010, 05:30 AM

I submitted my application on December 9, using Firefox 4.0. Cr-48 arrived today. Apparently, zip code is a significant factor in choosing testers. Nice surprise, as I never expected to be picked with a submission 48 hours after the announcement. They're looking for 60,000 testers.

libssd
December 18th, 2010, 05:37 AM

Damn! I didn't get a decal. I want a refund.

constellanation
December 18th, 2010, 06:13 AM
I didn't get a decal either, but I have some gmail stickers laying around somewhere that google sent me awhile back. I gotta find those to adorn my fancy new cr-48!

HappinessNow
December 18th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Haven't come across an answer, so figured you guys would know. Is there a time limit you have with these free cloudtops, or are they yours to keep?as far as I can tell, yours to keep.

HappinessNow
December 18th, 2010, 09:53 AM

I also live in a small town, total population about 55,125 but it is home to a major University. This is Google so I suspect they have a refined algorithm, perhaps based on all factors; answers to questions, zipcode, and if you rank high enough they probably read your essay and this is most likely the final determining factor.

Of course if your rank is high enough they may not have to read your essay, but I would think those are rare occasions.

I didn't get a decal either, but I have some gmail stickers laying around somewhere that google sent me awhile back. I gotta find those to adorn my fancy new cr-48! decals on a CR-48 would be like putting a "WALL DRUG (http://www.walldrug.com/images/Product/large/1457.jpg)" bumper sticker on a on a new Volvo C70 coupe...no Thanks! :p

libssd
December 18th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Of course if your rank is high enough they may not have to read your essay, but I would think those are rare occasions.

decals on a CR-48 would be like putting a "WALL DRUG (http://www.walldrug.com/images/Product/large/1457.jpg)" bumper sticker on a on a new Volvo C70 coupe...no Thanks! :p
"Essay"? You get a 140 character tweet to tell all. One of the things I most like is the flat black, slightly rubbery case, with absolutely no distinguishing markings.

Apparently they were designed for jailbreaking: http://chromestory.com/2010/12/rooting-or-jailbreaking-chrome-os-is-an-official-feature-in-chrome-notebook-cr48/

I plan to leave it alone during the test cycle, then (unless Chrome OS evolves a heck of a lot farther) install Ubuntu.

bwhite82
December 18th, 2010, 10:01 PM
From here (http://chromeossite.com/2010/12/18/14000-cr-48-chrome-notebooks-shipped-so-far/):

14,000 CR-48 Chrome Notebooks Shipped – So Far

As Google battles to reach it’s target deployment of over 60,000 CR-48 Chrome Notebooks, it seems that the company has only managed to ship out almost 14,000 as of today. This is according to the latest figures from the ‘CR-48 Shipping Tracker’ Web App. Last week we reported how only 1/10 of CR-48′s had been shipped, it seems as if the number has more than doubled in the last few days . Of -course 14,000 notebooks may sound like a small number, but taking into consideration that Google is giving these away for free to start off their Chrome OS Beta testing program; it is arguable that the internet giant is doing well so far.

A logistical nightmare.

The possible reason why the CR-48′s are taking so long to ship out could be that Google is still jostling to get Inventec to keep up it’s production levels. On the other hand it is possible that the sorting of the thousands of applications that flooded Google for the beta program is proving difficult to handle. In essense, Goolge employees will have to determine which individuals are most likely to benefit the company and the Chrome OS project the most if given the opportunity to own a Chrome Notebook. Only after these individuals are identified can the devices be sent out.

A phased deployment

Another school of thought is that Google is planning on a phased deployment of these devices. This would mean a gradual increase in feedback from CR-48 users. Imagine if Google sent all the 60,000 notebooks within a week; it would be a costly nightmare to deal with all the bug reports coming in from that many beta testers in a small period of time. Hence a phased introduction would avoid these problems by limiting the ‘flood’ of customer feedback on the device.

Odd Criteria

So far there has been a lot of discussion regarding Google’s seemingly odd criteria for choosing it’s beta testers. We’ve seen people who have never used Chromium OS or even Chrome receiving CR-48′s. Some people had never really heard of Chrome OS until they somehow found out about it during the Chrome Event and chose to apply for the Beta program.

It is also pretty odd that the main proponents of the Chrome OS and Chromium OS projects such as Hexxh have been sidelined in this process by virtue of them not being in the USA. It would seem logical if Google made an exception for people such as him who are pivotal to the success of this open source project.

The Good News – yours might be on the way

If it is indeed true that only about 14,000 of these devices have been shipped today, this means that you still have a great chance of gettiing one (if you applied a couple of days after the Chrome Event). So in the mean time, join us in the forums while you wait for your CR-48 to land on your doorstep.

HappinessNow
December 19th, 2010, 10:42 AM
From here (http://chromeossite.com/2010/12/18/14000-cr-48-chrome-notebooks-shipped-so-far/):

Interesting to see that I was the second person in my zip code to receive a CR-48 (addicted gamer corrected the information finally)...also interesting to see 4 more CR-48's being shipped to my zip code (hopefully one is for my wife) :p

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=178824&d=1292752048

Legendary_Bibo
December 19th, 2010, 11:17 AM
If I get one, how would I return it once the beta is over? What if Google let you keep it as an awesome publicity stunt!?

HappinessNow
December 19th, 2010, 12:31 PM
If I get one, how would I return it once the beta is over? What if Google let you keep it as an awesome publicity stunt!?Google does let you keep it :p

HappinessNow
December 19th, 2010, 02:41 PM
So I am in the process of trying to recover my Chrome OS after I accidently locked myself out of my CR-48, following Google's recovery instructions but I need help.

Please see this thread in the general help forum:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1648742

Any help is greatly appreciated

tdockery97
December 20th, 2010, 03:34 AM
Google expects users/testers to install another OS along with ChromeOS:

constellanation
December 20th, 2010, 04:04 AM
What does the grub screen look like on the cr-48, is it the standard ubuntu one or is it a chrome one?

I'd consider doing this eventually. But I want to go through a few updates first.

libssd
December 20th, 2010, 04:12 AM
I had no idea you could get to a cli so easily on this thing. Thanks!

libssd
December 20th, 2010, 04:14 AM
This little nugget needs to be shown again. It is a PAIN to use two fingers for a right click.
Another great tip, although I have basically given up on the trackpad until they fix the usability issues (assuming they are fixable via software). Mouse works great.

libssd
December 20th, 2010, 04:56 AM
If I get one, how would I return it once the beta is over? What if Google let you keep it as an awesome publicity stunt!?
Considering how many billions of dollars Google is worth, assuming the cost to Google for each Cr-48 is $100, that's only $6 million -- which seems like a pretty good ad buy, once this story really hits the media.

tdockery97
December 20th, 2010, 05:20 AM
What does the grub screen look like on the cr-48, is it the standard ubuntu one or is it a chrome one?

I'd consider doing this eventually. But I want to go through a few updates first.

I don't have one (yet), but from everything I've seen there is no Grub screen. It boots directly into Chrome OS. Dual-booting involves manually moving a switch to developer-mode and booting Ubuntu. AFAIK you could just wipe Chrome OS and install Ubuntu if you wanted, but as one of the articles said: "where's the fun in that?"

Roasted
December 20th, 2010, 05:22 AM
I caught this news a little later in the game and put in for mine on Saturday (the 18th). It sounds like the deal is over on the 20th or 21st or something. I hope I can get a hold of one. I work in a school district, and I think these things *may* have a huge future in our district.

I answered the questions honestly, but after reading them I was like wow I'm such a google fanboy. I can't help it though. Gmail, Google Calendar, Chrome, Linux, etc...

I hope I can snag one...

bwhite82
December 20th, 2010, 05:32 AM
Considering how many billions of dollars Google is worth, assuming the cost to Google for each Cr-48 is $100, that's only $6 million -- which seems like a pretty good ad buy, once this story really hits the media.

I don't know about TV (don't watch much) but this story is all over print media and the web. Not just blogs either, NYT, LA Times, etc. A giant like Google handing out 60,000 free computers does make headlines.

Edit: And I agree it is a great ad buy. Smart move by Google. I think more than "feedback" and "testing" that this is to create buzz.

libssd
December 20th, 2010, 05:42 AM
I don't know about TV (don't watch much) but this story is all over print media and the web. Not just blogs either, NYT, LA Times, etc. A giant like Google handing out 60,000 free computers does make headlines.
I've been too busy playing with my Cr-48 since I opened the box Friday to check current news. I have a pretty low opinion of the information habits of the bulk of the population, and if it isn't on CNN or Fox, it's not news. Maybe Oprah will do a segment on 60,000 FREE computers. ;)

Roasted
December 20th, 2010, 05:43 AM
I'm a little confused about some of the stuff I'm hearing.

Supposedly it's only open for another day. Yet I keep hearing that they've only handed out around 14,000 so far out of the 60,000 they have.

If that's the case, how is it some people who applied on day one still don't have one? My buddy applied as soon as possible and thought he just got denied and shrugged it off as if they were trying to limit what they were handing out for specific people. But if there's only 14k handed out and another 46k sitting, it just makes me wonder why anybody WOULD get denied...

If you have 120,000 people apply, I got it. But if you have 30,000 apply, why limit it to 14,000 when you have 60,000 available?

Then again, this is all just rumors I'm hearing. I have no idea what's true or what numbers there are. Just thinking out loud.

To Users Who Got A CR-48:

How did you register? As an individual?
Were your questions answered with Google based answers? (Linux, Chrome, Gmail, Google Calendar, etc.) or were they geared towards iPhone and Microsoft and whatever else?
How long did it take from the day you registered to the day you received it?
How recently did you receive it?

libssd
December 20th, 2010, 05:50 AM

Supposedly it's only open for another day. Yet I keep hearing that they've only handed out around 14,000 so far out of the 60,000 they have.

If that's the case, how is it some people who applied on day one still don't have one? My buddy applied as soon as possible and thought he just got denied and shrugged it off as if they were trying to limit what they were handing out for specific people. But if there's only 14k handed out and another 46k sitting, it just makes me wonder why anybody WOULD get denied...

If you have 120,000 people apply, I got it. But if you have 30,000 apply, why limit it to 14,000 when you have 60,000 available?

Then again, this is all just rumors I'm hearing. I have no idea what's true or what numbers there are. Just thinking out loud.

Were your questions answered with Google based answers? (Linux, Chrome, Gmail, Google Calendar, etc.) or were they geared towards iPhone and Microsoft and whatever else?
Just because they have shipped only 14,000 units doesn't mean they didn't receive more than 60,000 applications. Plus, they are competing with all the other holiday shippers.

I registered as an individual on December 9, using Firefox 4, not Chrome. I got no feedback whatsoever from Google, and didn't expect to get one. The "tell us why you want to be part of the program was a 140-character field; i.e., a tweet. My Cr-48 arrived Friday afternoon, December 16, 8 days after filling out the form. Total surprise.

Roasted
December 20th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Just because they have shipped only 14,000 units doesn't mean they didn't receive more than 60,000 applications. Plus, they are competing with all the other holiday shippers.

I registered as an individual on December 9, using Firefox 4, not Chrome. I got no feedback whatsoever from Google, and didn't expect to get one. The "tell us why you want to be part of the program was a 140-character field; i.e., a tweet. My Cr-48 arrived Friday afternoon, December 16, 8 days after filling out the form. Total surprise.

I don't get what you mean by a tweet, exactly...

bwhite82
December 20th, 2010, 05:56 AM

Yeah I've heard differing time frames for when they were closing the application. The email I got from Google said to apply by Friday the 10th but then I've read Dec. 21st was the official close date around the web.

As far as how I filled it out: I was honest to a Tee. I applied as an individual and stated that I used some but not all of their products and was a "linux enthusiast" and "have been interested in cloud computing for a long time" or something like that.

Took about a week to arrive, was completely surprised as I thought I didn't have a chance in hell.

constellanation
December 20th, 2010, 06:02 AM
by tweet, he means it's 140 characters in length...

i replied individual and was also completely honest. chrome, linux, etc...

i applied the day they had the chrome press conference (dec. 6th I think? or within a day or two of that) I received it last thursday the 16th. So around 10 days.

I'm a fan of the tiered release theory. Instead of releasing all 60,000 at once, they will stagger the release over a few months, so as to keep the bug reports from being completely overwhelming. Of course I have no validation that this will be the case, it just kind of makes sense to me.

HappinessNow
December 20th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Another great tip, although I have basically given up on the trackpad until they fix the usability issues (assuming they are fixable via software). Mouse works great.
I never found any track pad that usable but after doing a recovery and updated Chrome OS as well as tweaking the trackpad sensitivity I have found it more usable, fortunately for us they have a usb port for a usb mouse...speaking of which I just plugged in my Razer Copperhead using with my Razer eXactMat and of course it works great with the CR-48! Yay for Razer mice!

(assuming they are fixable via software) - I will say yes that trackpads are fixable via software case in point on my Fujitsu Lifebook T4210 I just installed a dual boot to the latest Ubuntu on to recover my Chrome OS on my CR-48 (refer to this thread: http://goo.gl/cNEm6 )...the trackpad works better on Ubuntu then it ever did on Windows XP of course on that computer I usually use the active digitized pen.

I caught this news a little later in the game and put in for mine on Saturday (the 18th). It sounds like the deal is over on the 20th or 21st or something. I hope I can get a hold of one. I work in a school district, and I think these things *may* have a huge future in our district.

I answered the questions honestly, but after reading them I was like wow I'm such a google fanboy. I can't help it though. Gmail, Google Calendar, Chrome, Linux, etc...

I hope I can snag one...I; like some people, applied on December 7th after receiving an email invite to apply from The Chrome Team, in the email they specifically state:

To apply to get your Chrome notebook, please provide your US mailing address by clicking the link below no later than Friday, December 10, 2010 at 11:59 PM PST.

So I see no confusion about the deadline.

I do say that most of the early ships I have seen have been to hand selected individuals it may be that educators and businesses may get the bulk of the shipments but at later dates. I do hope that educators as yourself get shipped, this may be why they have so many left...they may wait to ship to schools after Winter break.

Edit: And I agree it is a great ad buy. Smart move by Google. I think more than "feedback" and "testing" that this is to create buzz.I know people who haven't even followed the Google Chrome development sign up for free computers...albeit spare a few paranoid schizophrenics :p

I've been too busy playing with my Cr-48 since I opened the box Friday to check current news. I have a pretty low opinion of the information habits of the bulk of the population, and if it isn't on CNN or Fox, it's not news. Maybe Oprah will do a segment on 60,000 FREE computers. ;)

Actually Google Chrome has a great news App form the New York Times
http://goo.gl/U5lut

I registered after I received an email invite from the Google Chrome team, I asked to be informed on news about Google Chrome OS some time ago. I answered all questions honestly.

It took 8 days between the time I applied and when I received my CR-48 (see pictures and screenshots on my iCR-48 blog (http://www.icr-48.com/)) of course it only took 2 days for the CR-48 Cloudbook to ship once they made their decision. I do believe that Google is being selective and if you just BS the short essay you may not receive one, of course being Google I do believe that they utilize a complex algortyhm based on all factors to meet their decision criteria.

I registered as an individual on December 9, using Firefox 4, not Chrome. I got no feedback whatsoever from Google, and didn't expect to get one. The "tell us why you want to be part of the program was a 140-character field; i.e., a tweet. My Cr-48 arrived Friday afternoon, December 16, 8 days after filling out the form. Total surprise.I was totally surprised as well!

Yeah I've heard differing time frames for when they were closing the application. The email I got from Google said to apply by Friday the 10th but then I've read Dec. 21st was the official close date around the web.

As far as how I filled it out: I was honest to a Tee. I applied as an individual and stated that I used some but not all of their products and was a "linux enthusiast" and "have been interested in cloud computing for a long time" or something like that.

Took about a week to arrive, was completely surprised as I thought I didn't have a chance in hell.I didn't think I had a chance either, I still find it unbelievable!

by tweet, he means it's 140 characters in length...

i replied individual and was also completely honest. chrome, linux, etc...

i applied the day they had the chrome press conference (dec. 6th I think? or within a day or two of that) I received it last thursday the 16th. So around 10 days.

I'm a fan of the tiered release theory. Instead of releasing all 60,000 at once, they will stagger the release over a few months, so as to keep the bug reports from being completely overwhelming. Of course I have no validation that this will be the case, it just kind of makes sense to me.tiered theory may be most logical but I think it will be tiered based on users; individuals, developers and media first, then businesses and educators.

libssd
December 20th, 2010, 02:04 PM
People may be reading too much into the selection process; at least one forum has suggested that Google is selecting by zipcode. Think about it: let's assume 100,000 people apply. Are human beings at Google going to go through 100,000 applications of 140 characters each? That's not a job I would want. With their resources, I suppose Google could throw software at the job, but 140 characters isn't much for machine-based decision making.

Far simpler would be to select by zipcode (which is more or less population based) with a limit on how many machines go to a given zip code, or to exclude specific zip codes, such as, to use a doubtful example, Microsoft's headquarters. I'm not saying this is what Google is doing, but it seems as good an approach as any, and is eminently applicable to machine selection from a large number of entries in a short time.

There are four types of ZIP codes: Unique (assigned to a single high-volume address), P.O.-box-only (used only for P.O. boxes at a given facility, not for any other type of delivery), Military (used to route mail for the U.S. military) and Standard (all other ZIP codes). As examples of Unique ZIP codes, certain governmental agencies, universities, businesses or buildings that receive extremely high volumes of mail have their own ZIP codes...

Despite the geographic derivation of most ZIP codes, the codes themselves do not represent geographic regions; in general, they correspond to address groups or delivery routes.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZIP_code

Google is notoriously tight-lipped about development. I was involved in the Google Scholar ( http://scholar.google.com/ ) pilot project, and for 6 weeks I couldn't get a word from my contact at Google about what the hell it was supposed to do. Then I got an e-mail around midnight, saying "Google Scholar just went live." It's the way they work.

scottuss
December 20th, 2010, 02:25 PM
I just started filling out the form then realised that they will only ship in the US. There is a world outside of the USA, ya know Google! ;)

HappinessNow
December 20th, 2010, 03:01 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_wj75JfyDVxs/TQ9e1cji3FI/AAAAAAAAAvc/deIAATmBNHY/s640/screenshot-20101220-054815.png (http://www.icr-48.com/)

Roasted
December 20th, 2010, 03:21 PM
I sure hope if they balance it out with zip codes that one comes my way then. I live in an area that is pretty country-ish and not really strong in the IT field. If it wasn't for my job @ the district, I'd be commuting pretty darn far if I had another IT job. I can see if I was in downtown Washington DC and they already sent 400 to that town as to why they might limit them a bit.

Judging by the tracker (which has been suggested is not all that accurate to begin with), there hasn't been much sent to my area. In fact, when I scan 5 zip codes nearby, a grand total of maybe 8 show up. Three have none, one has one, and the 5th one has a small handful... but that last one is also the zip code to the inner city about 20 minutes north...

Hoping...

libssd
December 20th, 2010, 04:10 PM
I just started filling out the form then realised that they will only ship in the US. There is a world outside of the USA, ya know Google! ;)
Legal hardware certification issues, although I suspect that they could have included Canada without much difficulty.

HappinessNow
December 20th, 2010, 05:19 PM
legal nightmare

I sure hope if they balance it out with zip codes that one comes my way then. I live in an area that is pretty country-ish and not really strong in the IT field. If it wasn't for my job @ the district, I'd be commuting pretty darn far if I had another IT job. I can see if I was in downtown Washington DC and they already sent 400 to that town as to why they might limit them a bit.

Judging by the tracker (which has been suggested is not all that accurate to begin with), there hasn't been much sent to my area. In fact, when I scan 5 zip codes nearby, a grand total of maybe 8 show up. Three have none, one has one, and the 5th one has a small handful... but that last one is also the zip code to the inner city about 20 minutes north...

Hoping...I don't think making a decision based on zipcodes would be a viable option.

libssd
December 20th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Until Google addresses the issue with a software update, I think I may have a partial solution to the twitchy trackpad issue. Even though I have sensitivity turned all the way down, the trackpad is still too sensitive, and especially bothersome is the fact that the lower edge of the trackpad, which one would expect to be used as a click area, also responds to finger movement.

I just happen to have some 14 mil adhesive vinyl film lying around, and I put a strip about a half inch wide along the bottom edge of the trackpad. Amazingly, it still detects finger movement in this area, but sensitivity seems to be somewhat reduced, to the point where I'm no longer getting phantom inputs from this part of the trackpad. If I like this, I may try covering the entire trackpad with the stuff (it's designed to be removable, so no adhesive residue to worry about).

Roasted
December 20th, 2010, 06:05 PM
I don't think making a decision based on zipcodes would be a viable option.

Yeah, I agree with that too. I'm just trying to understand what their filtering process may be. Being in a school district I'm just praying we get one. Our fleet of laptops are aging and if these are an affordable alternative it just may be the ticket we need to keep taxes low yet get the gear we need.

I know that the ChromeOS runs off of a cloud, but I'm wondering as it matures how customizable it may be. For example, if WE could host the cloud image of the OS itself internally via our wifi network, that would be a hit.

Check it... ChromeOS comes pre-defined from Google and when fired up, you connect to it automagically and that's your OS. What if we could take that, add our own extensions and custom settings for our district, and then connect to that custom image instead of Google's? I see HIGH potential with this gizmo... the cost effectiveness could be a tremendous hit for districts like this.

I just hope I get one, because that could help justification on holding out longer to see how this product matures or doing something else.

libssd
December 20th, 2010, 06:35 PM

I got my SD card to show but I couldn't browse it.
I'm not yet 100% certain, but I think that if you enable Advanced Filesystem, it tries to figure out what a USB mouse is. Not fatal, but annoying, and since I couldn't really do anything with a flash drive with this setting enabled, I disabled it.

HappinessNow
December 20th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Until Google addresses the issue with a software update, I think I may have a partial solution to the twitchy trackpad issue. Even though I have sensitivity turned all the way down, the trackpad is still too sensitive, and especially bothersome is the fact that the lower edge of the trackpad, which one would expect to be used as a click area, also responds to finger movement.

I just happen to have some 14 mil adhesive vinyl film lying around, and I put a strip about a half inch wide along the bottom edge of the trackpad. Amazingly, it still detects finger movement in this area, but sensitivity seems to be somewhat reduced, to the point where I'm no longer getting phantom inputs from this part of the trackpad. If I like this, I may try covering the entire trackpad with the stuff (it's designed to be removable, so no adhesive residue to worry about).just out of curiosity what version Chrome OS are you running? (about:version)

(click on the image to see full size)
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_wj75JfyDVxs/TQ-TSBceP4I/AAAAAAAAAv0/BznC3Tx0Dmw/s640/screenshot-20101220-093208.png
(http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_wj75JfyDVxs/TQ-TSBceP4I/AAAAAAAAAv0/BznC3Tx0Dmw/s1600/screenshot-20101220-093208.png)

Yeah, I agree with that too. I'm just trying to understand what their filtering process may be. Being in a school district I'm just praying we get one. Our fleet of laptops are aging and if these are an affordable alternative it just may be the ticket we need to keep taxes low yet get the gear we need.

I know that the ChromeOS runs off of a cloud, but I'm wondering as it matures how customizable it may be. For example, if WE could host the cloud image of the OS itself internally via our wifi network, that would be a hit.

Check it... ChromeOS comes pre-defined from Google and when fired up, you connect to it automagically and that's your OS. What if we could take that, add our own extensions and custom settings for our district, and then connect to that custom image instead of Google's? I see HIGH potential with this gizmo... the cost effectiveness could be a tremendous hit for districts like this.

I just hope I get one, because that could help justification on holding out longer to see how this product matures or doing something else.you might be interested in trying out Hexxeh's Chromium OS Flow (http://chromeos.hexxeh.net/) or wait a few weeks for the new Chromium OS Lime version (http://blog.hexxeh.net/)

Also for everybody in general there is an excellent review on the CR-48 written: http://goo.gl/XndE5

Helpful usability:

ctrl + n - opens a new window
alt + tab - to flow seamlessly between those windows
tab menu extension to navigate your tabs within your individual windows - http://goo.gl/FhfUW

jbills
December 20th, 2010, 07:32 PM
I have gotten file:/// to work. Unfortunately it only works in Downloads

jbills
December 20th, 2010, 07:36 PM

I got mine a week and a half from my application.

DougieFresh4U
December 20th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Got a chuckle from this:

libssd
December 20th, 2010, 11:13 PM
just out of curiosity what version Chrome OS are you running? (about:version)
Chrome OS 0.9.128.12 (Official Build fd028a5b) beta x86-mario

One thing I'm liking about the 14 mil film approach is that I can feel where the trackpad begins because that portion is now raised slightly above the deck.

bwhite82
December 20th, 2010, 11:16 PM
just out of curiosity what version Chrome OS are you running? (about:version)

Shouldn't we all be on the same version as the OS automatically updates?

HappinessNow
December 20th, 2010, 11:42 PM
Shouldn't we all be on the same version as the OS automatically updates?
yes we should but there are two builds out mario pony and mario fish

my trackpad works like a dream after doing the chrome OS recovery...same build

interesting enough I am at my school library, sitting in front of an Apple iMac and the Google CR-48....I find myself using the CR-48 :)

HappinessNow
December 21st, 2010, 12:21 AM
now I am sitting in a coffee shop surrounded by 4 Apple laptops (3 white and one brushed metal) and one old guy in the corner with a windows laptop that has a bumper sticker that says "Geology Rocks"...I envision within 2 years from now that Google Chrome OS Cloudbooks will be dominate

Roasted
December 21st, 2010, 12:24 AM
now I am sitting in a coffee shop surrounded by 4 Apple laptops (3 white and one brushed metal) and one old guy in the corner with a windows laptop that has a bumper sticker that says "Geology Rocks"...I envision within 2 years from now that Google Chrome OS Cloudbooks will be dominate

I'm at a client's house on my Latitude waiting for Vista to hurry the **** up and update. To say the least, I'm quite jealous.

Ric_NYC
December 21st, 2010, 12:51 AM
My notebook arrived today!

YEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!

It's like a Christmas present!

libssd
December 21st, 2010, 12:51 AM
my trackpad works like a dream after doing the chrome OS recovery...same build
Could you expand on how you did this? Inquiring minds want to know....

Is this it: Troubleshoot common issues: Recover Chrome OS: Cr-48 (http://www.google.com/support/chromeos/bin/answer.py?answer=1046510)

libssd
December 21st, 2010, 12:54 AM
I don't this has been posted previously, but if so, mea culpa: Chromium OS Bug Reports (http://code.google.com/p/chromium-os/issues/list)

Ric_NYC
December 21st, 2010, 01:11 AM
I cannot save images from the internet.

The question is: How can I use Aviary or Picnik to edit images if I cannot save pictures on the computer?

Viva
December 21st, 2010, 01:12 AM
I want one:(

Roasted
December 21st, 2010, 01:15 AM
Has anybody here signed up and NOT gotten one?

Are you guys suggesting via the zip code thing that people in less populated areas are less likely to get one? I live in the middle of fricken no where, but this would be HUGE for us to test this gizmo at work (school district) because I see high potential with it at work... I sure hope I get one... I signed up as an individual user @ my home address and also under the education section with my work's address...