PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Issues with drives showing up in Ubuntu 10.10 x64

the2989
December 9th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Hey guys, got a strange couple three problems regarding drives, if anybody can help with any one of them, I'll be your best friend :D So thanks in advance! I appreciate it.

BTW, I did search as much as I could, found some solutions to other problems I had, but these ones I couldn't find answers to.

Preface:
Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat x64
(also got Windows 7 x64 and Windows XP x86 installed on 2 other drives, mildly irrelevant to my actual issues)

Problem #1
My Windows XP drive only shows up outside of Disk Utility maybe half the time upon booting, making me have to usually reboot at least once if I want to be able to access the files inside the drive from Ubuntu. The drive is ALWAYS visible under Disk Utility (don't know if this means much, because problem #2 kind of spawns from a similar avenue), but it sometimes it doesn't appear as accessible under the Places dropbar or in the Computer window.

I don't know if this is a software issue on Ubuntu's part, or a hardware issue inside my system. I think it'd be the former, because the XP drive has worked flawlessly every time it loads, its just that sometimes Ubuntu doesn't see it when its loading up so I gotta reboot a time or two to get it to appear. I can boot into XP just fine when I select that hard drive as the first boot device.

Anybody know how to make Ubuntu always see the drive?

Problem #2
This is where I think my Disk Utility be trollin'. I put a floppy drive in my computer for some reason when I built it, and when I installed Ubuntu, it was still plugged in and accessible and stuff. Now recently, I unplugged the drive (power & scsi) because it was just taking up power, but Disk Utility still acts as if its still plugged in, and Ubuntu even loads it in the Computer window as if I could just pop a floppy in and access it.

How can I manually remove that drive from Ubuntu? And/or, how can I get my Disk Utility to update what its actually detecting?

Problem #3
This might be a pretty specific problem. I've got a Samsung Rogue phone with a microSD card in it, and under Windows XP & 7, I can press a couple buttons on the phone and set it up as a USB mass storage device (basically, XP & 7 will see it as a flash drive because it plugs in via USB). I can't get Ubuntu to even notice the drive, even though the phone goes into USB storage mode as if nothing's wrong.

Any ideas on how to get Ubuntu to detect the storage device? Or do you think this is a compatibility issue with my phone and can't be fixed until Samsung does something?

Thanks guys, I appeciate it a lot.

the2989
December 29th, 2010, 06:40 AM
Bump,

Anybody know anything about these issues? I haven't been able to solve any of them yet.

Thanks!