PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.10 - HP Deskjet 895cse not found by hp-setup

grad_girl_1
December 9th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Recently installed 9.10 as a dual boot with Windows XP, but try as I might, cannot get my HP Deskjet 895cse to work.

It is connected via USB cable. I have installed HPLIP and when I run hp-setup, the first step is to say whether the printer is USB or parallel. It is not recognized as either:

Searching... (bus=usb, search=(None), desc=0)
error: No devices found on bus: usb
Searching... (bus=par, search=(None), desc=0)
error: No devices found on bus: par

...yet the printer is turned on and the USB cable is firmly installed. If I go to Windows on the machine, I can print just fine.

Any ideas on where to start? I'm a casual user so I need lots of specifics on any commands I need to run.

TIA!!

anglican
December 9th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Recently installed 9.10 as a dual boot with Windows XP, but try as I might, cannot get my HP Deskjet 895cse to work.

It is connected via USB cable. I have installed HPLIP and when I run hp-setup, the first step is to say whether the printer is USB or parallel. It is not recognized as either:

Searching... (bus=usb, search=(None), desc=0)
error: No devices found on bus: usb
Searching... (bus=par, search=(None), desc=0)
error: No devices found on bus: par

...yet the printer is turned on and the USB cable is firmly installed. If I go to Windows on the machine, I can print just fine.

Any ideas on where to start? I'm a casual user so I need lots of specifics on any commands I need to run.

TIA!!I'd start with:

lsusbwhich will show if your printer is being recognised at all. If it is I'd then try Applications->Settings->Printing and install the printer that way.

H

grad_girl_1
December 10th, 2010, 12:02 AM
Here's what I get if I run lsusb:

Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 1293:0002 Belkin Components [hex] F5U002 Parallel Port [uss720]
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

I looked at this page:
http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/USB_USS720.html

and it seems to say that Bus 002 Device 002 is the printer cable. However, I'm not sure what to do to get my system to recognize it as a printer. I have tried System --> Printers --> New and that does not detect the printer.

Given what it says on the link that talks about my USB connection, is there an additional command or 2 that I need to run?

anglican
December 10th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Here's what I get if I run lsusb:

Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 1293:0002 Belkin Components [hex] F5U002 Parallel Port [uss720]
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

I looked at this page:
http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/USB_USS720.html

and it seems to say that Bus 002 Device 002 is the printer cable. However, I'm not sure what to do to get my system to recognize it as a printer. I have tried System --> Printers --> New and that does not detect the printer.

Given what it says on the link that talks about my USB connection, is there an additional command or 2 that I need to run?Ah, you're using a usb->parallel cable. These seem to cause some problems with hplip [1] (and other printers too, to be fair to HP). Try adding a printer as before, don't worry that it's not detected but choose "Other" for the connection and for URI enter [2]:

parallel:/dev/usb/lp0It will probably take a minute or two unsuccessfully searching for a driver then let you manually choose. Obviously select "HP" and "Deskjet 895c". There are four possible drivers for this printer, I'd try them in order and stick with the one that works (hopefully one will).

[1] There may be some combination of the order in which you connect cable and printer that might work.
[2] It will probably be /dev/usb/lp0 but you can check how the system treats the cable by looking at the output of "dmesg" directly after you've plugged the cable in.

grad_girl_1
December 29th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Just wanted to post a follow-up- problem has been resolved. I decided to just buy a parallel cable (just over $8 including shipping on Amazon), and see if that solved the recognition problem. It did, so we are set. I figured this would be easier than figuring out the exact order of plugging in the USB cable and turning on the machine, etc.

Thought I'd post this in case anybody else has a similar issue in the future.

Thanks all for your help.