PDA

View Full Version : GNOME newbie wants to try KDE

gavdari
December 9th, 2010, 05:28 PM
I've been using Ubuntu for almost 6 months now and I love it. But I just want to try out KDE to see which one suits me better. I'm downloading kde-full package from the synaptic. So here's the question. Is there any way to hide GNOME applications while I'm logged in with KDE and vice versa? I guess everything will be a lot crowded with packages from both environments showing in menus and everything.
Besides, suppose I didn't like it. what should I do to remove kde alongside all that 390MB of packages from my computer?

KdotJ
December 9th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Hey, it's possible to hide the KDE apps while under GNOME. All you need to do is right-click on the ubuntu logo (top left corner) and select "Edit Menus".. from here you can tick or untick applications you want to be shown in the menu.
I not sure of how to do this with GNOME apps under KDE but I'm sure it's possible as KDE is hugely customisable. I'm sure someone will be able to clear this up for you though...

oldos2er
December 9th, 2010, 07:28 PM
In KDE, right-click on Application Launcher, Menu Editor.

"what should I do to remove kde"

Go back into Synaptic and remove kde-full.

gavdari
December 9th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Thank you both. Just out of curiosity, if I remove GNOME apps in KDE, and KDE apps from GNOME, it is like I have ubuntu and kubuntu at the same time?

KdotJ
December 9th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Pretty much, the difference is the default apps and the settings etc. You may occasionally have issues with settings leaking over. For example my gnome-network-manager kept opening under KDE, where I already had the KDE network manager running. But this kind of this is easily sorted.

gavdari
December 9th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Thanks. It definitely worth the try.

gavdari
December 10th, 2010, 03:09 AM
Well, I love it. I have one problem though. Now everything looks fine, except that app windows like pidgin or firefox are decorated like they were in gnome, and the dark theme I used in gnome looks terrible in plasma environment. What should I do?

oldos2er
December 10th, 2010, 06:22 AM
Try http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8107813&postcount=17

For firefox, install firefox-kde-support

owiknowi
December 10th, 2010, 06:36 AM
I have installed Ubuntu and Kubuntu alongside on separate partitions.

This way you can easily test which desktop works best for you.
Neither will become very, very big and thus slow and maybe even unstable.

A lot applications will work with both desktops but sometimes need parts of the other environment (installing K3B under Gnome takes up a 350 MB extra).